Family's First LJ - 2006 Rubicon Build

Brother, like you wouldn't believe. I've got a triple locked 1997 FZJ80 in the garage that I need to get put back together before a TLCA ride in less than a month, and then a full engine rebuild and frame on restoration on one of the 1985 FJ60s. Then last week I picked up an M416 trailer to build out for carrying the Roof Top Tent and expedition stuff.

I have issues.......
You must live for the build! Haha we are currently remodeling our kitchen dining room. Shiplap looks awesome when done, but to get it done is killing us.
DD18CF5D-43C4-4AD0-8AB8-C3B7AEC2051D.jpeg
865B948C-2689-4F83-A60F-F6E1D7D293E9.jpeg

Brother, like you wouldn't believe. I've got a triple locked 1997 FZJ80 in the garage that I need to get put back together before a TLCA ride in less than a month, and then a full engine rebuild and frame on restoration on one of the 1985 FJ60s. Then last week I picked up an M416 trailer to build out for carrying the Roof Top Tent and expedition stuff.

I have issues.......
Check out Bentley toyota in Huntsville, Al if you ever come this way..,he has big assortment of all kinds of old land cruisers. Ones with beds , etc.

Love that LJ , it’s fantastic. Really fine.

Its been a little while since I've posted an update as anything I've gotten done recently tended to be little stuff. On the advice of @Ranger_b0b I ended up loosening the grille shell from the front fenders and it allowed me enough play to get the front center body bolt lined up and torqued down. With the body lift complete I planned next to install the motor mount lift but work and family obligations just didn't allow me a day or block of time in the evening to focus on larger tasks.

I really want the LJ complete (or mostly complete) to take with us down to the Smoky Mountain Jeep Invasion in less than a month. My father's birthday is 8/28 and a few days before then we'll be celebrating the one year anniversary of his double lung transplant (It happens to all coincide with the dates of the Jeep event in Pigeon Forge). If I wanted the LJ to get to a point where it is going to be done enough to take down for the weekend I really needed to find a shop to knock out the big stuff since my schedule and energy level just isn't getting it done.

So Friday afternoon I took the LJ to a local garage that has a long history with Jeeps and left it so they could start on it first thing this morning. I went by around lunch today to drop off some small parts I had forgotten to take and got to see it up on the lift.

View attachment 49426
View attachment 49427

As much as I wanted to (and enjoy doing) the majority of work myself, leaving it in their capable hands is going to ultimately having me and the family enjoying the Jeep a lot faster.

While its there they'll be installing all the suspension upgrades, motor mount lift and tummy tuck, fixing an oil leak and general maintenance, new brakes and rotors, regearing both axles and replacing ball joints, unit bearings, axle seals etc. Once all of this is complete I'll have the paint machine polished and waxed then start to finish the cosmetic upgrades, decals, rear tire carrier, front bumper etc.

I'm moving back towards the "excited" category versus the "anxiety" one. Stay tuned for more pictures hopefully soon!
Hello. I'm in Dayton Ohio and have been struggling to find a reputable shop that i would trust to do my regear. I'm willing to travel a bit for trust and quality. You mentioned the guys that did your work are a local shop that's really familiar with Jeeps. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Mind sharing which shop did your work? I appreciate any help. By the way, I love your LJR build.

Hello. I'm in Dayton Ohio and have been struggling to find a reputable shop that i would trust to do my regear. I'm willing to travel a bit for trust and quality. You mentioned the guys that did your work are a local shop that's really familiar with Jeeps. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Mind sharing which shop did your work? I appreciate any help. By the way, I love your LJR build.
I'd try posting on the Ohio River Four Wheelers Facebook page. Seems like they are a reputable club from the greater cincinnati area, may be able to point you in a good direction.

I'd try posting on the Ohio River Four Wheelers Facebook page. Seems like they are a reputable club from the greater cincinnati area, may be able to point you in a good direction.
Thank you for the help. Now...if I were only on Facebook, lol.

Just read basically this whole thread. Love the LJ. My favorite rig I've seen on here and one of the cleanest.
I have a similar look with the red and black to my TJ.. yours is just done better :LOL:

I have matte black Rubicon and Jeep stickers also just waiting for warming weather to put them on and my girlfriend is getting me the hood louver for Christmas.

Looking forward to any future updates and will be subscribing!

Reactions: Starrs
Just read basically this whole thread. Love the LJ. My favorite rig I've seen on here and one of the cleanest.
I have a similar look with the red and black to my TJ.. yours is just done better :LOL:

I have matte black Rubicon and Jeep stickers also just waiting for warming weather to put them on and my girlfriend is getting me the hood louver for Christmas.

Looking forward to any future updates and will be subscribing!
Best LJR on the forum by far. He’s a ghost these days, but I know it’s still out there lol

Great build. I also have a set of AEV Pintlers(or Bridgers) Wheels (16x8 with 5x4.5"). Planning to add these wheels on the next tire change. Did you use any spacers on your LJR setup with 315/75/16 tires? Mine is 04 LJ with 3.5 MC lift, 1" currie body lift and 1" Mountain off-road Motor mounts. 35s on the stock ravine wheels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasitek
Sorry guys, as you can tell I'm not on the forums much these days as I got the LJ to a point that I was happy with and went on to other projects (I've still got a few uninstalled LJ parts in the garage that may happen one of these days). Along with the LJR and JLUR, I've currently got three Land Cruisers and a solid axle swapped 1st Gen Tacoma that I've enjoyed wheeling. The LJ is just too nice to beat on and my craving for big rocks keeps growing.

F34C8A41-F6BE-4F53-A85D-135E49334556.JPG

0E34A0D7-1C8D-4D61-BE95-45B814C09089 2.JPG

I did purchase a brand new Bestop Supertop NX the other day to replace the worn Trektop that I had come to hate. After driving it some this spring/summer it will most likely go on to find a new owner.

Sorry guys, as you can tell I'm not on the forums much these days as I got the LJ to a point that I was happy with and went on to other projects (I've still got a few uninstalled LJ parts in the garage that may happen one of these days). Along with the LJR and JLUR, I've currently got three Land Cruisers and a solid axle swapped 1st Gen Tacoma that I've enjoyed wheeling. The LJ is just too nice to beat on and my craving for big rocks keeps growing.

View attachment 155870
View attachment 155871

I did purchase a brand new Bestop Supertop NX the other day to replace the worn Trektop that I had come to hate. After driving it some this spring/summer it will most likely go on to find a new owner.
Glad to hear from you, it’s great that the off-road bug has really bit you. Hope to see the LJ in the for sale section here when you do decide to part ways with it.

Reactions: techster82

View attachment 155870
View attachment 155871

I'm sure that Landcruiser is right at home on the DBBB

Reactions: techster82
I'm sure that Landcruiser is right at home on the DBBB

That it is. I'm down there quite a bit as we have a lot of organized rides throughout the year (with the KYTLCA) as well camping and riding with the family.

That it is. I'm down there quite a bit as we have a lot of organized rides throughout the year (with the KYTLCA) as well camping and riding with the family.
Yep, I've seen a few LCs at Callie's before. I ride with the Ohio River Four Wheelers mostly, I know we've partnered with your club on a few improvement projects in the past. Was down in the area mid March before things got shut down.