Overheating brakes in the mountains

my 06 with the 42rle has p,r,n,d,2&1 with od switch on the dash and will hold in whatever lower gear i put it in. going too fast? select a lower gear. still need to slow down more? there’s 4 low. need to slow down even more? try a lower gear while in 4 low. this is with the np231 tc. my understanding is a rubicon tc is geared even lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
Blaine correct me if i'm wrong ! but every time I've had rotors turned they warp within 10k miles, so now I just change them out .... am I doing wrong ?

They aren't warping again, and thickness, or the ever-so-slight reduction in thickness from resurfacing has absolutely no affect on heat capacity of the rotor...we're dealing with a miniscule amount of material.

The key word here is "runout".

First, the way most brake pads (applicable to TJs) work:
We're dealing with Adherent friction. This is why pads and new rotor surfaces require bed in. During this process, the pads will deposit a layer of their own material down onto the rotor surface....ideally in an even manner (which is why you don't want to come to complete stop while the brakes are hot during the first few initial heat cycles). Once we've established the transfer layer, as the pad is pressed against a surface of the same material on the rotor, there is breaking and recreation of crystaline bonds to create friction. Effectively, we have material at the molecular level moving from the rotor to the pad and back and forth. No pad will be 100% adherent...under certain circumstances we might get a bit of abrasive action out of it, but when it gets back into its happy temp range, it will act adherent again and maintain the friction transfer layer on the rotor. Think of this transfer layer as sort of a snowball that wears....constantly being broken down and rebuilt somewhat as we drive.

Now, if we take a rotor that spins dead true with zero lateral runout (in and out wobble as it turns), the above theory typically works out quite well. If we have an excessive amount of runout (more than .003" or so in this case), the transfer layer in the high spots will eventually become established to a different level than it is on the rest of the rotor, due to the high spots contacting the pads at slightly higher pressures and more often than the rest of the rotor surface. Since the quality of the transfer layer more or less determines our friction levels, this results in a "judder", and will snowball from there.

Back to machining rotors...

Bench brake lathes are great tools at the hands of someone that knows what they're doing....the problem is, very few understand the objective.

Before you machine a rotor....it should be removed from the hub and the mating surfaces (inside of the rotor hat and the hub surface) cleaned of all rust/schmoo/etc...) and then the rotor reinstalled to measure runout using a dial indicator. You can 5 different positions to see which one gets you as close to zero as possible....when you find that position, mark a hole/stud so you know that position, then mark the zero spot and the high spot on the friction surface. When this rotor is chucked up on the brake lathe, use the dial indicator to make sure that you are duplicating the on-hub conditions. Your zero spot and your high spot should match what you saw on the hub....if it doesn't, either the hub was bent or the brake lathe adapters are fucked.
Brake lathe adapters need to be machined while they're on the lathe arbor, after having index marks put on the arbor and the adapters, to "match" them so that the adapter surface has zero runout when indexed to the arbor....this is rarely the case. More often than not, a perfectly good and new rotor with near zero runout can be installed on a brake lathe and it will look "warped" and usually take a couple passes to get a complete 360° cut....this is not because the "cheap chinese rotor" was warped out of the box, as many will try to convince you, it's because the brake lathe adapters are fucked up, and have just destroyed your new (or good used) rotor.

"But they're nice and smooth when I put them on the car"....of course they are, both surfaces are nice and new and parallel to each other. Any runout will be un-noticed because the transfer layer will take time to become inconsistent and since you had the caliper off and had to knock the slide sleeves unstuck to get it back on with new pads, the caliper (for the time being) will float back and forth and follow the rotor without any hydraulic feedback...for the time being.

Over the course of 5-10K miles though, this runout condition will develop into an uneven surface condition and a thickness variation (the transfer layer has dimension) and will rattle your teeth out.

New rotors are the safer way to go because an ignorant lathe operator hasn't had the chance to fuck them up yet, but installed on a rusty/bent/etc hub, they will not last long. Get a dial indicator at Harbor freight and a magnetic base (or some sort of fixture) and make sure runout is under .002 or .003" whenever a rotor goes on a hub....and if using a brake pad suitable for the operating temp range (like Blaine's pads), your pulsation/judder/"warped" rotor problems should go away.

Reactions: Good Hope and Zorba
Uneven levels of corrosion (from letting the vehicle set for extended length of time) and any other uneven-ness to the friction surface will cause uneven friction levels and will result in the same problem, but for different reasons....I omitted that part because this was a discussion on machining brake rotors.

well.. maybe my explanation was not clear enough.... I had a several situations to considered when I was on the trail.. the first of all is that the JKs that were with me never overheated their brakes... I heard by radio that they were in 4lo but they weren't rubicons... so their transfer cases allow them a bit more of speed when they were downhill... if I put the 4lo in my rig I was like 5-10 miles an hour which was way to slow to keep up with the rest of the team... did I use the 4lo to stop myself and dont get killed by the mountains? of course! I did... but my question was more like... why my TJ needed to let the brakes cooled off if the JKs didn't need it....? they were on 4lo and I didn't? maybe that's an answer.. but... more precise... if I get the pads from @mrblaine and go the exact same route with the exact same braking technique would I overheat my brakes again? because my current pads are a non-branded ones? or I should change the rotors and pads as well to avoid having the overheating problems?

20220901_124420.jpg

well.. maybe my explanation was not clear enough.... I had a several situations to considered when I was on the trail.. the first of all is that the JKs that were with me never overheated their brakes... I heard by radio that they were in 4lo but they weren't rubicons... so their transfer cases allow them a bit more of speed when they were downhill... if I put the 4lo in my rig I was like 5-10 miles an hour which was way to slow to keep up with the rest of the team... did I use the 4lo to stop myself and dont get killed by the mountains? of course! I did... but my question was more like... why my TJ needed to let the brakes cooled off if the JKs didn't need it....? they were on 4lo and I didn't? maybe that's an answer.. but... more precise... if I get the pads from @mrblaine and go the exact same route with the exact same braking technique would I overheat my brakes again? because my current pads are a non-branded ones? or I should change the rotors and pads as well to avoid having the overheating problems?

View attachment 366304

How fast can you drive in 4low?

Reactions: ranger101
I dont know how mrblaines brakes work but it must not use friction to stop ! most brakes work by friction and friction causes heat, so unless you have reverse thrust your brakes are either going to smoke or just get cherry red in the situation you described ! the only problem with your brakes was sitting in the seat pushing down on the pedal rather than using downshifting to maintain a safe speed ! and just how did you use 4low to stop ? you cant shift into 4low unless your at almost a complete stop !

Last edited:
I know I can and do. And mine is geared low enough to use high range 1st gear on the easier stuff when I need sustained speed without 4k rpm.

I have run down 191 into Moab in low at 70 mph. Couldn't figure out why it was revving so high and wasn't shifting.

. if I get the pads from @mrblaine and go the exact same route with the exact same braking technique would I overheat my brakes again?

View attachment 366304
I have no problem sending you a set to prove out a few things. Break them in for a bit, go back and do the same things again. If you smoke them, take them off and throw them away. If you don't, you pay full pop. Those are the only two choices. If they stay on the rig, you pay, the only way not to pay is to throw them away.

I have no problem sending you a set to prove out a few things. Break them in for a bit, go back and do the same things again. If you smoke them, take them off and throw them away. If you don't, you pay full pop. Those are the only two choices. If they stay on the rig, you pay, the only way not to pay is to throw them away.

wow :eek: I will say this you are 100% standing by your product MrBlaine ! if the OP doesn't take you up on that he's crazy !

Reactions: Jerry Bransford