• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Overlanding 2006 Rubicon Unlimited (LJ)

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Fortunately we aren’t here much longer, planning to get into a house once our lease expires in February- can’t come soon enough.
In Colorado?

Good call on buying a house. We bought out first house 3 years ago. I'm super happy we did. Now my rent can't keep going up like it was when we were renting.

OP
rasband

rasband

LJR
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2018
Denver, CO
A lot of projects have been held up by wanting to fix my battery cables being too short. I finally ordered new cables from custombatterycables.com, hoping to have time to run those this weekend.

Then I can be on to my auxiliary fuse block, winch rerun, CB wrapup (direct to battery), LED cubes, etc.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I need to install my battery cables as well. I got new ones that I've been putting off for a while. My current ones aren't too short, just old and worn.

An auxiallry fuse block sounds like a good idea. Which one did you use? I have a ton of aftermarket stuff (transmission cooler, winch, amp, etc.), and a fuse block might be the cleaner way to do all of the installs instead of inline fuses.

OP
rasband

rasband

LJR
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2018
Denver, CO
I need to install my battery cables as well. I got new ones that I've been putting off for a while. My current ones aren't too short, just old and worn.
It kind of sucks to have to do basic stuff like this than get that $150 toward a life or some other function, but suring up my base to build on over the longer term.

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
It kind of sucks to have to do basic stuff like this than get that $150 toward a life or some other function, but suring up my base to build on over the longer term.
Which auxiliary fuse box did you use? I have a ton of aftermarket stuff (transmission cooler, winch, amp, etc.), and a fuse block might be the cleaner way to do all of the installs instead of inline fuses.

OP
rasband

rasband

LJR
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2018
Denver, CO
Which auxiliary fuse box did you use? I have a ton of aftermarket stuff (transmission cooler, winch, amp, etc.), and a fuse block might be the cleaner way to do all of the installs instead of inline fuses.
I’m still early in the research, but I think I’m planning to do an 80A circuit breaker (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000THQ0CQ/) to a Blue Sea fuse block. To wire that in I’ll do another custom cables order to get the ends with lugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I'll be curious to see how you end up doing it. This would ultimately be a good idea for me, given how many accessories I have with their own inline fuse.

OP
rasband

rasband

LJR
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2018
Denver, CO
Today I noticed a fun new noise and am pretty confident it's my front axle's passenger u-joint. My hope was to wait on my hubs and u-joints until I have a garage of my own in a month, but the mistress has again dictated my life :D

I figure I will just do both sides, and plan a "parking lot repair" tomorrow with:
  • Same day delivery from Amazon (as much as I am bittersweet on them) for the u-joints
  • Advanced Auto "free" U-Joint tool rental (refunded deposit of $150)
hopefully it goes as I expect...

Reactions: tomtaylz
OP
rasband

rasband

LJR
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2018
Denver, CO
My new garage has a decent number of cabinets so I spent some time unpacking and organizing upcoming work:

1. Hubs
  2. U-Joints
  3. CPS (back up)
  4. Transmission Fluid Swap
  5. Diff fluid swap (front)
Under the cabinet will be the pull off bins (since the picture a 50cal ammo can and a basket of recovery gear to sort).

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricWizard
OP
rasband

rasband

LJR
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2018
Denver, CO
This is in the “What did you do to your TJ today” thread, but to keep updates all together here.

Over the weekend I cleaned up my rear crossmember with some light sanding and rustoleum and installed the Dirtworx rear bumper, I love the look and rigidity. However I didn’t get the frame tie ins done yet, so that’s outstanding (I need to find a lower profile wrench).

In retrospect I should have waited to get pics until after the follow-up car wash.

OP
rasband

rasband

LJR
Supporting Member
Sep 11, 2018
Denver, CO
The Jeep has been neglected mostly since we were finally able to purchase a house. Fortunately the garage has enough vertical space to store my hard top - here’s my ghetto rig.

4 3/8x4” Eye Bolts
4 Locking Carabiners
2 pieces of 3/8 ropes cut with non-slip loops tied in the ends (where the carabiners join the rope to the eye bolt)
4 Locking Straps to help lift a few inches at a time in each corner

It took a bit (and a trip to Ace) to get the top up there as I dialed it in, but there are a few redundancies that hopefully up to 2 eye bolts could break (depending on which) and the top hopefully won’t tumble.

Not pictured is a ratchet strap I added afterward to provide a little pull inside to hopefully avoid a possible case of the filberglass arching out or otherwise deforming.

Now for more light in my garage...

Reactions: ElectricWizard