Oxygen Sensor Heater Issue (Can't Pass Smog)

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
Going to get my car smogged today and was told that one of the oxygen sensor heater isn’t completed. Drove around for about 30 miles and it’s still not completed. No codes or anything are coming up. Anyone have this issue before?
F81E669E-8423-4313-B369-6BAE2AA7A0F0.png

Last edited:
Anyone have this issue before?

I've dealt with this in the past. You will pass barring other issues. See: Smog check OBD reference - BAR

"Jeep 2005-2006 Wrangler O2 sensor, O2 heater, and catalyst readiness monitors may indicate not ready.

Vehicle design anomaly.

TSB #25-005-13 Rev. A contains wiring modification to make vehicle ready.

OIS allows incomplete O2 heater monitor"

You may choose do the TSB mentioned, or have the dealer do it, but it's not necessary to pass the SMOG inspection.

Last edited:
I've dealt with this in the past. You will pass barring other issues. See: Smog check OBD reference - BAR

"Jeep 2005-2006 Wrangler O2 sensor, O2 heater, and catalyst readiness monitors may indicate not ready.

Vehicle design anomaly.

You may choose do the TSB mentioned, or have the dealer do it, but it's not necessary to pass the SMOG inspection.
Okay wow... So even though it's not checking, I can still pass smog? Almost like a bypass? Why is that? I can either not do anything about it or do the TSB which allows for it to be checked ready?

Good to know that now. Just drove around for about 40 miles aha.

Okay wow... So even though it's not checking, I can still pass smog? Almost like a bypass? Why is that? I can either not do anything about it or do the TSB which allows for it to be checked ready?

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair is aware of this issue (manufacturer design defect) and allows the vehicle to pass with the O2 heater rediness monitor not set. Show your SMOG guy the link. My SMOG guy said that the issue was noted in his computer.

The TSB is a relatively easy fix. It's basic wiring modification. The hardest part is pulling up the PDC (fuse box). No, you don't have to complete the TSB to pass SMOG. The defect doesn't hurt anything performance-wise.

The California Bureau of Automotive Repair is aware of this issue (manufacturer design defect) and allows the vehicle to pass with the O2 heater rediness monitor not set. Show your SMOG guy the link. My SMOG guy said that the issue was noted in his computer.

The TSB is a relatively easy fix. It's basic wiring modification. The hardest part is pulling up the PDC (fuse box). No, you don't have to complete the TSB to pass SMOG. The defect doesn't hurt anything performance-wise.
Wow, thank you so much! I was stressing for no reason.

Reactions: L J

Thanks for this information. I’ve been running drive cycles for a week in an effort to get the monitor to show ready. Found this but, I had a STAR station decline to smog my Jeep because the monitor is not ready. I showed him this and said he wouldn’t touch it until I took it to a dealer. I guess I will try other locations until someone agrees. Definitely selling this for a pre ‘75 vehicle!

Thanks for this information. I’ve been running drive cycles for a week in an effort to get the monitor to show ready. Found this but, I had a STAR station decline to smog my Jeep because the monitor is not ready. I showed him this and said he wouldn’t touch it until I took it to a dealer. I guess I will try other locations until someone agrees.

That guy is an idiot.

Definitely selling this for a pre ‘75 vehicle!

Pump your brakes! Don't be like your SMOG guy. :LOL:

Reactions: tr21triton
Wow. Had four new O2 sensors in my cart for $50 a piece when I came across this thread. You guys/gals are lifesavers, for real. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Had four new O2 sensors in my cart for $50 a piece when I came across this thread. You guys/gals are lifesavers, for real. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!
Just an fyi ... NTK O2 sensors work well and are ~$25 each on RockAuto - avoid Bosch O2 sensors as they are known to cause issues with TJs.

Reactions: Huckster
My 2006 Unlimited Rubicon had the same "not ready issue" after the battery died right before the smog check was due. I performed the Chrystler TSB 25-001-07 rewire and had to drive it for 300 miles before the catalyst monitor came ready. I checked all monitors ready the next morning and drove it to the smog check. He told me it wasn’t ready and asked if I turned anything on while driving to the shop. I turned on the defroster and he told me that could have caused it to not be ready. I have owned it since 2013 and never had a problem with a smog check before the battery died. Approx 63,000 miles

Last edited:
Wow, thank you so much! I was stressing for no reason.

Did you get your Jeep smogged? Or did you do the modification? I'm in the same boat. I had new catalytic converters put in my jeep. I put a new Wranglerfix.com computer in. I'm still driving as not ready a couple hundred miles into this work. California tags are expired and need to finish this project. Its my daughter's daily driver. Any info would help.

Last edited:

Vehicle design anomaly.

I had the same issue when I bought my LJ 4 years ago. The local Jeep dealer performed the mod per the TSB at no charge.

Good to know that now. Just drove around for about 40 miles aha.

I did it - it is easy - and after I did it - then I found out my media in one cat was gone- 😟

Vehicle design anomaly.

This saved me right now! From San Diego, CA I can confirm that this works. Smog guy saw it and immediately recognized it 🔥

I'm still driving as not ready a couple hundred miles into this work.
I performed the Chrystler TSB 25-001-07 rewire and had to drive it for 300 miles before the catalyst monitor came ready.

IIRC, it's not the number of miles; it's drive cycles.
That means driving at temperature and a complete cool down.
Letting it sit overnight is best.

IIRC, it's not the number of miles; it's drive cycles.
That means driving at temperature and a complete cool down.
Letting it sit overnight is best.

I drove it on 3 separate trips of 100 miles with several days in between each trip and it still took over 300 miles.

I know Cali has the show them this and theyl let it slide, but now Colorado has the commie CARB standards and there is no discussion, no way around it. I did the service bulletin myself and it took about 30 minutes, and it solved the emissions not ready to test problem 100%.

Reactions: Huckster