P1776, P0740, P700, and P0732 error codes

declanj23

I drive a Jeep TJ 2006, Auto Trans.

So I have had my Jeep around 3 months in that time I have been fighting issues with my transmission / Limp Mode. (Maybe my PCM I was hoping @Wranglerfix might offer some advice.)

So I after about 1 hour of driving at night much cooler on the downshift around the 70-80km mark I get limp mode, in the day I get around 30 mins until this. I can hope out disconnect the battery reset it and off I go for a totally random amount of time. So far I have replaced the Solenoid in the transmission and the selector (plastic part that keeps in neutral I think when I start the car). I also did a full transmission flush, the oil was not burnt but clearly very old. I have also cleaned up all my fuses and all my cables that are knocking about earth cables as well.

Some tests I have tried running is seeing if it temp related to the PCM. I drive around and my PCM is operating around the 60c and 70c mark I am based in Dubai so this might be hotter to what people know but thousands of Jeeps run out here so assume the heat can't be the issue.

In recently noticed I was doing about 80km on the freeway and decided to flick my overdrive and as soon as I did this I was given the codes you see above. I have not yet tested this any further but it is my next testing to see if this is what might be causing the issue.

When driving at first the gear change is super smooth and no tell signs of issues. Then after driving a while progresssivly and the gear change between 50km and 80km both up changes are very delayed and slow and really horrible sometimes making a clunking noise (my tie rods need replacing so the clunk may just be these).

Final thing to note when it got up to the stage where I can feel the Jeep is soon to go into its limp mode i decided the other day to floor it. At this moment the jeep juddered horribly and took a moment to pull away almost like it couldnt take the load making me think it could lead back to a faulty PCM.

Happy to replace the PCM but being based in Dubai its a long wait to send off and get back from wranglerfix so wondered if there was anything else I could do to test? I hope someone can help me I really want to get out in the Jeep this is my first Jeep and I am slowly starting to hate it.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Good day from Miami and I hope all is well in Dubai.

The codes above do not point to the pcm being faulty.

The 0700 code is a generic code saying something is wrong on the transmission side of the Jeep.

The 0740, 0732 and 1776 codes are listed below and come back to everything but the pcm.

• Low transmission fluid level
  • Dirty transmission fluid
  • Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
  • Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
  • Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Shift Solenoids
  • Shift Solenoids harness is open or shorted
  • Shift Solenoids circuit poot electrical connection
  • Transmission mechanical problems
  • Transmission hydraulic control circuit
  • Faulty Solenoid Switch Valve
  • Solenoid Switch Valve harness is open or shorted
  • Solenoid Switch Valve circuit poor electrical connection

Have you had the hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold, high transmission temperatures, o2 sensors showing bad when good or 1600 codes? If you answer yes, then the pcm is faulty.

I would check all powers and grounds as well as the wiring harnesses. I am enclosing a few photos of common wiring gremlins in the 05-06 TJ’s.

The oem pcm is not repairable so I do not need yours.

I have WhatsApp if you would like to discuss in further detail. Popular rumor is I tend to be a little chatty. 👀😜

6D9AD1FB-DC1F-4114-A669-075E193BC796.jpeg

E72178DF-8A5C-4648-AADA-8F69B62C6AB2.jpeg

E0325BE1-64AA-4D11-A568-F901CEFF270D.jpeg

Hello,

Thanks for the response!
  • Low transmission fluid level - Recently Replaced the oil and topped up.
  • Dirty transmission fluid -Recently Replaced the oil and topped up.
  • Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve - Have not checked this.
  • Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted - Have not checked this.
  • Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection - Have not checked this.
  • Faulty Shift Solenoids - I think I changed this part recently its the large part attached to the valve body?
  • Shift Solenoids harness is open or shorted - Have not checked this.
  • Shift Solenoids circuit poot electrical connection - Have not checked this.
  • Transmission mechanical problems - When you say mechanical do you refer to the valve body or the gears?
  • Transmission hydraulic control circuit - Have not checked this.
  • Faulty Solenoid Switch Valve - Have not checked this.
  • Solenoid Switch Valve harness is open or shorted - Have not checked this.
  • Solenoid Switch Valve circuit poor electrical connection - Have not checked this.
Will take a look at the stuff I have not checked yet and see if anything. I have never had a code relating the the o2 sensors. Only the ones I have shared before. P0732 This one is temperamental and only really comes up when the Jeep has a nasty switch into limp mode.

1st to 2nd is always pretty smooth regardless of temp.

When you say you don't need mine its just a new one that you send then? Can you explain how it works please :)

Thanks Again I might just take you up with a whatsapp message.

I have spent some time this evening looking over all the cables leading to the transmission plug and most seems ok the cables are in a better condition then expected. Perhaps the heat helps. Is there a way I can test the sockets with a multimeter or anything?

Hi all, so I have been inspecting the loom and I did find two split wires, however these didn't fix the issue, the two wires can from the gear box close to the solinoid plug. Attached photos. The issue has still not been resolved but I found the switching off my overdrive fixes my problem and I can drive the jeep with no issues what so ever. Any further advice to narrow it down further would be great.

Thanks again!

20211124_165522.jpg

20211123_194934.jpg

IMG-20211123-WA0027.jpeg

Hello Dubai, I am not as knowledgeable as others on this forum and yet I have some of the same issues. I consistently get the P0740(and associated P0700) but dont get any of your more serious limping issues. You mentioned that turning off overdrive ends all of the issues? I am interested in this as I am seeing overdrive as the culprit in some of my issues. I feel that the transmission should move out of overdrive(4th) automatically when the load is too much and lugging starts. Instead, I have to turn it off manually. I feel this is a TCM/PCM issue but I am not sure....anyways very interested to keep following your link to eventual driving success! best regards, Dave

Hello,

So my jeep is the bain of my existence right now. But I have been ongoing fixing various things with my trans.

From what you are saying I am not sure if I can offer much advice to help. But I will talk through some of the things I have done.

So first of checking ATF fluids and performing a flush can be an effective way of just giving your trans some love and may fix some issues but my only warning on this is that I started by doing this and then since then have had the trans apart a few times so you end up losing some fluid and then spend more and more on fluid each time so if you decide to do any work try do it all in one fix to save the pennies even more.

This did not fix anything for me but my gear changes were improved drastically. Anyway since then things started getting worse then I found that turning of my overdrive fixed my issue of going into limp mode and it was always on the downshift so I decided until I could afford to fix more I would do this temporarily.

As you can see in the other threads above I was advised to check wiring! Seeing you are in Oregon there's chance of rain dirt build up unlike here in dubai where the wiring just melts. Anyway just check the wires its a ball ache I wont lie but fixing them has fixed issues for many others in the past.

Since that I have also replaced my solenoid pack on my valve body which are know for going bad. Check youtube everyone reckons its always the solenoid. Anyway I replaced that and still had the limp issues and more.

With more testing I found after really heating up my trans running in the dunes and getting hot that I cant select gears. This isnt fixed with a battery disconnect (hoping that means its not PCM related) but with time to cool it will select the gear again. So now I have a refurbed valve body on order and I intend to replace this next as from my theory this could be were all my issues lie as I also found that when driving at 80kmh on the highway I get an incorrect gear ratio 1 when I am in third. Meaning that fluid maybe leaking into the chanel and its trying to engage the wrong gears and that only happens when it expands and gets hot meaning it could be related.

@Wranglerfix seem to be the experts on the PCMs. So some advice from them may help. I know this may not have answered much for you but I thought I would share everything incase you notice anything similar. Get some electoflush cleaner (contact cleaner) and give your plugs a clean if you can access them. MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST.

Aside from that the only other thing I can suggest is just check all your basic bits like the earth and fuses. Check your relays as well if you can there some videos on youtube showing what to look for and how to test these bits never any harm in checking.

Thanks @declanj23 for your detailed note. Re limp mode, which DTC are you getting that causes the Jeep to go into limp? You changed out the solenoid pack and now you are going to change out the valve body? What is the valve body? Again, I am curious what kind of DTCs you are getting when you have these extreme errors.

My ongoing issue has always been with lugging while in Overdrive. The jeep doesnt want to shift down to 3rd automatically when more power is needed and I have to do it manually by turning off Overdrive. I suspect I need to repair the Torque Convertor to support locking in 3rd and Overdrive but I am reluctant to do it without solving the lugging problem first. Now that the Torque Convertor clutch may be slipping(giving the P0740), it runs alot better in Overdrive without the lugging.

Good luck with your Jeep...keep me updated as you find some fixes