"Pacing myself" build

And now I have the same problem of trying to find a wheel that isn't black with 5" BS. It'll probably force me into a 17" wheel, which is fine.

It is difficult. As far as I remember from when I was looking at options, Mamba M13 is the only recent 5x4.5 aftermarket wheel with 5" backspacing and it only came in black. Try searching for a decent alloy wheel in 4.5-5" bs on 5x5.5 and you will find pretty much nothing. This is how I ended up with steel wheels.

It is difficult. As far as I remember from when I was looking at options, Mamba M13 is the only recent 5x4.5 aftermarket wheel with 5" backspacing and it only came in black. Try searching for a decent alloy wheel in 4.5-5" bs on 5x5.5 and you will find pretty much nothing. This is how I ended up with steel wheels.

I run a 4.75 which opened up a few options.

Gotcha. Oh well, the wheel search continues. At least with a white jeep black wheels ain't the end of the world.
I prefer black wheels on a white Jeep. That and yellow are the only two colors I have that preference. However, I don’t envy your situation. 😏

Wanted to do this one last thing before throwing in the towel and heading down the hub kit rabbit hole. Replaced the right front axle ujoint that had a tiny bit of play. New ujoint, new outer stub shaft, and new unit bearing. The evening was destined to not go well when I pulled the brake caliper/saddle to see the inner pad almost smoked.
20220524_162700.jpg
The slides seem to be moving free, so not sure of why the uneven wear. Ideas? I'll send a PM to Blaine.
Everything else was moving along ok until I stuffed the axle back in and bolted up the unit bearing. A series of senior moments ensued after that. Put the backing plate on backwards, so out comes the axle again. Why won't this brake rotor go back on? Umm, duh, new unit bearing, BBK, hello McFly! Out comes the grinder to clearance the unit bearing for the rotor hat. Man, sucks getting old! What should have taken an hour took me 2.5 hours. Drive home netted no improvements. Looks like I get to order some new BMP's in the very near future.

• Sad
Reactions: rasband and Wildman
Wanted to do this one last thing before throwing in the towel and heading down the hub kit rabbit hole. Replaced the right front axle ujoint that had a tiny bit of play. New ujoint, new outer stub shaft, and new unit bearing. The evening was destined to not go well when I pulled the brake caliper/saddle to see the inner pad almost smoked.
View attachment 332700The slides seem to be moving free, so not sure of why the uneven wear. Ideas? I'll send a PM to Blaine.
Everything else was moving along ok until I stuffed the axle back in and bolted up the unit bearing. A series of senior moments ensued after that. Put the backing plate on backwards, so out comes the axle again. Why won't this brake rotor go back on? Umm, duh, new unit bearing, BBK, hello McFly! Out comes the grinder to clearance the unit bearing for the rotor hat. Man, sucks getting old! What should have taken an hour took me 2.5 hours. Drive home netted no improvements. Looks like I get to order some new BMP's in the very near future.

I'd had my fingers crossed that it would at least help. I'd lucked out way back in 2002 or early 2003 that I found a used Warn hub kit that I picked up for real cheap. Back then I was able to find it on Ebay.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Ok, find me some wheels jeeples. I'll succumb to black, alloy, 15" or 17", with 5" BS. Standard TJ lug pattern. Center bore needs to accommodate the hub kit. Go!