"Pacing myself" build

A work in progress, and not necessarily the end result, but for now I'm changing up my comms into 2 separate radios, utilizing 2 separate radio services. This may all get axed if I don't like it.
While I'm saving up for a better dual band mobile that I can easily remove from the jeep and take into the house to use as a base, I will use my KG935G HT to use GMRS while traveling.
20220824_143307.jpg

I have the HT plugged in to my GMRS antenna out back.
20220824_143356.jpg

My Ham radio is hooked up to the front antenna. Using the dual band antenna to operate both services just wasn't ideal.
20220824_143411.jpg

I'm not super concerned about having a lot of watts for the GMRS end of it. 5 watts with a good external antenna will get me all the range I need for that service. My current 25 watt Btech Ham radio will hopefully be a future 50 watt Yeasu. I'll repurpose the Btech to run in my wife's car during road trips. Both radios should easily be removed from the jeep to keep them secure during top off/soft top operations, and will allow the mobile unit to double as my base at home when I want it to. The HT literally unplugs in seconds and leaves with me, or I can take it out with me for trail spotting or whatever.
20220824_143531.jpg

It's a little dorky having 3 antennas on the jeep, but I'll get over it.

Routine oil change and tire rotation. Clock just past 195K miles.

I have a new found appreciation for TJs/LJs that are driven regularly. The wife told me yesterday that I should buy a car, so I don't have to drive the Jeep so much. I told her I built both to drive, and I'm going to drive the hell out of them, without even thinking about the miles. You only go around once and what good does a low miles Jeep do, when you're no longer here! (y)

I have a new found appreciation for TJs/LJs that are driven regularly. The wife told me yesterday that I should buy a car, so I don't have to drive the Jeep so much. I told her I built both to drive, and I'm going to drive the hell out of them, without even thinking about the miles. You only go around once and what good does a low miles Jeep do, when you're no longer here! (y)

Agreed!

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
I'm surprised nobody trashed me for putting the tail light lens on upside down, lol!
CEL P0432 came on, bank 2. Odd bank 2 would throw a light. Replaced both with the proper NGK's.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun and PRNDL
Reactions: bobthetj03
Upon further investigation, one of the pre-cats is loosing its guts and rattling around in there. You can hear it on acceleration from idle if you put your ear in the wheel well. Homie ain't paying $1k for new pre-cats, so it's Roto-Rooter time!

Upon further investigation, one of the pre-cats is loosing its guts and rattling around in there. You can hear it on acceleration from idle if you put your ear in the wheel well. Homie ain't paying $1k for new pre-cats, so it's Roto-Rooter time!

I want to know more about how to do this roto-rooter job.