"Pacing myself" build

Here's the 2 videos I took just to see if I could find anything off kilter.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/Hmk-0wm8dbo/edit[/UR

Quick question...you mentioned you pattern is off on one side of the ring vs the other. Did you measure backlash on both sides too? If the ring is warped, or installed on the carrier improperly, I could see getting different backlash measurements that correspond with the pattern.

I think the next step I would do is pop the carrier, and pull the ring off. Make sure it's clean, and nothing is pinched between the gear and the carrier mounting surface.

If you find something, the gear is still toast, but at least you'd be relatively certain that a new set will fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobthetj03
Quick question...you mentioned you patter is off on one side of the ring vs the other. Did you measure backlash on both sides too? If the ring is warped, or installed on the carrier improperly, I could see getting different backlash measurements that correspond with the pattern.

I think the next step I would do it pop the carrier, and pull the ring off. Make sure it's clean, and nothing is pinched between the gear and the carrier mounting surface.

If you find something, the gear is still toast, but at least you'd be relatively certain that a new set will fix it.

I didn't think to do that, but good idea. After sleeping on it, I think I may take it to a pro. I'd hate to do this twice and still not solve the mystery. Sucky part is there is nobody locally, so I'll have to drive 2 hrs. to a shop I can trust.

Just pulled the trigger. Hunter 4x4 offroad in Citrus Heights will be doing the job in April. I'll be flat towing the jeep to the shop and spend the night at a RV park nearby. No jeep fun until then, sadly. Going to be replacing virtually everything in that housing. New standard size gears, 4.56, Eaton TT, Revo Discovery series chromos. I like that it is a small, hometown boy shop, and jeep enthusiasts to boot. Hopefully, by then, this stupid zombie apocalypse scare BS will have calmed down some.

Just pulled the trigger. Hunter 4x4 offroad in Citrus Heights will be doing the job in April. I'll be flat towing the jeep to the shop and spend the night at a RV park nearby. No jeep fun until then, sadly. Going to be replacing virtually everything in that housing. New standard size gears, 4.56, Eaton TT, Revo Discovery series chromos. I like that it is a small, hometown boy shop, and jeep enthusiasts to boot. Hopefully, by then, this stupid zombie apocalypse scare BS will have calmed down some.
WooHoo! Full Axle rebuild! Did you price out a whole new axle, with housing by chance? Just curious...

https://carbonoffroad.com/products/...complete-housing-with-detroit-locker-crh44tj4
3500 bucks with a Detroit in the rear and a 10 year warranty.

Reactions: DrDmoney
  • Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
Does this give you a headache?
CIMG7315.JPG

Y'all are making me jealous that its about a 24 hour drive to Northern CA. The wheeling looks great and it sounds like the stories are even better! Maybe once I get the RV "finished" the wife and I can take a trip to the Rubicon!

Reactions: Alex01
Y'all are making me jealous that its about a 24 hour drive to Northern CA. The wheeling looks great and it sounds like the stories are even better! Maybe once I get the RV "finished" the wife and I can take a trip to the Rubicon!

I was just gonna say get that RV put back together and get over here!