Paint job ideas

Looks good. (y) How did you apply it?

I borrowed my father-in-law's spray gun. Honestly, I probably could have done it with rattle cans. I did some parts later on with the spray cans and it goes on INCREDIBLY easy. I was stunned

In case anybody is looking I got it here: http://www.rapcoparts.com/336tancsucud.html

The color is 33446 686 Tan(CARC) Substitute

Reactions: il buono and PCO6
I borrowed my father-in-law's spray gun. Honestly, I probably could have done it with rattle cans. I did some parts later on with the spray cans and it goes on INCREDIBLY easy. I was stunned

In case anybody is looking I got it here: http://www.rapcoparts.com/336tancsucud.html

The color is 33446 686 Tan(CARC) Substitute
Thanks. I've always liked matte finishes on "puposefull" vehicles. My wife doesn't so that's probably the way I'll go. :) I need to get back at her for the Cherokee Wagoneer I nearly bought years ago. She didn't like wood … on Jeeps.

I used to tell people that my goal was to have a spray can repairable paint job. This fit the bill and came out MUCH nicer than expected. Here's a better picture. The body/hood etc was done with a spray gun and the doors were done with rattle cans. Zero difference between the two

20151012_091155.jpg

Robert - That's what I'm aiming for too for one of my Jeeps. Something that I can beat up a bit, modify, replace panels when needed, etc. I've painted cars in the past. It's a lot of work and I always hated to see that first scratch. I want something I can be a bit less "emotional" about. lol

Bullshit. I've painted a couple cars with rattle cans...and after spending more time color sanding and polishing than it would have taken a body shop to paint 30 cars, I can say my finish was as good as theirs....and probably more durable, since i had 9 coats on it. LOL.
We both laughed at that.

I used to tell people that my goal was to have a spray can repairable paint job. This fit the bill and came out MUCH nicer than expected. Here's a better picture. The body/hood etc was done with a spray gun and the doors were done with rattle cans. Zero difference between the two

View attachment 134655
Our Jeeps are almost the same color.
View attachment 134685
What brand/type of paint and spray gun did you guys use for your repaint?

I've painted in both a professional paint booth and a make shift garage booth (drop cloth walls and ceiling, furnace filters over the door, silo fan out the back). Both were base/clear and lots and lots of prep, the spraying was the easy part. The pro booth turned out great, the garage one was ok but I'm an amateur so it had some orange peel. Found out I'm hyper allergic to the hardeners in clear coats so no more base/clear painting for me.

For a regular car or truck a base/clear looks great, but honestly if my jeep ever needs a respray I think an old school single stage enamel with hardener would be easier to paint and touch up from branches and such. Not as shiny, but it's a jeep, not a show truck.

Reactions: Airjunky
I've painted in both a professional paint booth and a make shift garage booth (drop cloth walls and ceiling, furnace filters over the door, silo fan out the back). Both were base/clear and lots and lots of prep, the spraying was the easy part. The pro booth turned out great, the garage one was ok but I'm an amateur so it had some orange peel. Found out I'm hyper allergic to the hardeners in clear coats so no more base/clear painting for me.

For a regular car or truck a base/clear looks great, but honestly if my jeep ever needs a respray I think an old school single stage enamel with hardener would be easier to paint and touch up from branches and such. Not as shiny, but it's a jeep, not a show truck.
I like shiny on all my vehicles. My Jeep never leaves the pavement.

try the bed liner coating for the entire vehicle
I have seen lots of them
Seems like the full bedliner may actually lower the value. It definitely reduces the number of interested buyers. I've even seen a bedlinered FJ get completely ignored at a car auction. The dull, rough finish has no visual appeal & it's harder than hell to remove to repaint.

Reactions: JMT
Seems like the full bedliner may actually lower the value. It definitely reduces the number of interested buyers. I've even seen a bedlinered FJ get completely ignored at a car auction. The dull, rough finish has no visual appeal & it's harder than hell to remove to repaint.
I've seen in person some full body profesional bedliner jobs that look good and some that look like crap. It definitely limits your resale market to a select few buyers. I think a flat or satin paint would go over better cause if the next guy doesn't like it they can just scuff and respray. Pro bedliner that stuff is on there for life unless you acid dip the whole body.

Reactions: Airjunky
I've seen in person some full body profesional bedliner jobs that look good and some that look like crap. It definitely limits your resale market to a select few buyers. I think a flat or satin paint would go over better cause if the next guy doesn't like it they can just scuff and respray. Pro bedliner that stuff is on there for life unless you acid dip the whole body.
I had a YJ that hat been sprayed with Raptorliner. When I bought it, it had been for sale for a while & I got it for a couple grand under asking price. And when I sold it, the guy talked me down $500. The finish was like orange peeled paint, and almost brittle. It chipped occasionally. Took a big hit to do it.

The FJ at the auction I mentioned was flat black. Dull, felt like sandpaper.

There's obviously several finishes of bedliner, some better than others.

38083794862_d084f2d859_o.jpg

Regarding alternative finishes and auction values, I was at the Toronto Fall Classic Car Auction in October and saw this Land Rover which was apparently powder coated. Myself and the guys I kicked tires with while we looked at it had our doubts about that. It appeared to be a very good light bedliner finish. It wasn't possible to open the doors or look under the hood which might have provided some extra clues.

The high bid was $45,000 and it didn't meet the owner's reserve. It was an interesting and well done vehicle, a little over done in some regards. It's hard to say but I doubt that a more traditional paint job would have made any difference to what the owner could have got for it. If used for it's intended purpose, this would be a good finish. Who knows, it might end up at the mall too.

https://www.ccpauctions.com/lot-details.php?RefNum=r164 &EventID=102
EDIT - $45000 CDN = approx. $34,500.

TF19_r164_1.jpg

Last edited:
Your rear tailgate paddle handle being painted over and not being removed when painted would drive me insane. Does it bother you at all? Just curious...
Actually, yes it does. lol
I'm going to paint all my hinges black this spring and I'll hit that while I'm at it.