Paint Job Prices

Kai

Hi, long time lurker here. I was wondering if any of you guys have gotten your TJs painted and if so what was the price? I've been wanting mine to get repainted but I don't want to pay to much! Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. @CRGR had his wrapped and it looks awesome. Cheaper than paint, too. Hopefully he will pop in to give you some info.

Reactions: Kai
Welcome to the forum. @CRGR had his wrapped and it looks awesome. Cheaper than paint, too. Hopefully he will pop in to give you some info.
Thanks! Ya know I never thought about wrapping until you said something about it. I think that its something I should look into, I just want basic black on my jeep, nothing fancy.

This is going to vary so much from painter to painter, honestly.

Maaco will paint it for $500, but it will start coming off a year later. A good quality paint job is going to be at least several thousand or more, no doubt about that.

While I don't doubt that people have had it done cheaper, they're getting what they pay for.

Reactions: Kai
Are you going to paint it the same color? Because if you are then you might not have to do the inside or the roll bars or the door jams. If you're changing colors then the price will definitely be higher Since the inside needs to be done (seats and carpeting come out and the dash needs to be taped off).

For a brand new paint job and color I would expect to pay 4-5 grand. For just the outside of the same color I would expect to pay 2-3 grand for a decent paint job. And if you're going to paint the outside, it's also a good opportunity to change out the plastic flares (or paint them). You can paint the flares on your own with a can of Krylon.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Are you going to paint it the same color? Because if you are then you might not have to do the inside or the roll bars or the door jams. If you're changing colors then the price will definitely be higher Since the inside needs to be done (seats and carpeting come out and the dash needs to be taped off).

For a brand new paint job and color I would expect to pay 4-5 grand. For just the outside of the same color I would expect to pay 2-3 grand for a decent paint job. And if you're going to paint the outside, it's also a good opportunity to change out the plastic flares (or paint them). You can paint the flares on your own with a can of Krylon.

That pretty much sums it up, I agree with the prices too.

A full color paint job (done the right way) is extremely labor intensive (any paint job is really). You're talking hours and hours and hours of labor, stripping things down, removing parts, masking around stuff, etc.

It also depends on the quality of paint job you want. My neighbor is a painter and he says that he always tells people that there are cheap paint jobs that look good from 15 feet, "driver" paint jobs that look like what your vehicle came with from the factory, and show quality paint jobs that are above and beyond what any vehicle would ever come from the factory with, other than an extremely high end luxury vehicle.

Reactions: UpperMI
Labour intensive is definity the case...If you still want to go down the paint road...I would suggest keeping the cost down by removing allot of the bits you can before taking down to the paint shop. Any time saved is 'moola' saved.

Reactions: Chris and UpperMI
Kiwi, Chris and others got it right: its labor intensive and you dont want to skip on quality. Quality isn't cheap. I was quoted 1,700 to 3,400 dollars. But if you truly don't want 'anything fancy', then maybe you can DIY and go with Plastidip? (If that's even spelled correctly) Look it up on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, like @Kiwi TJ said, you can save a lot of money by stripping things down yourself. Take the mirrors off, bumpers, etc. The more you take off, the easier it is for the painter to paint it.

I just took my 71 Stingray to a very small paint shop this weekend for a full color change and some serious body work. I was quoted $2,800 all in, I met with my painter this morning at a PPG dealer and picked out my paint color. Should be done in 2 weeks, if this works out, pretty sure I'll have him paint my TJ also.

This is going to vary so much from painter to painter, honestly.

Maaco will paint it for $500, but it will start coming off a year later. A good quality paint job is going to be at least several thousand or more, no doubt about that.

While I don't doubt that people have had it done cheaper, they're getting what they pay for.
I am def not for the cheap Maaco job lol

Reactions: Chris

Yes Im going to keep the same paint, just after 20 years I need a touch up lol

I just took my 71 Stingray to a very small paint shop this weekend for a full color change and some serious body work. I was quoted $2,800 all in, I met with my painter this morning at a PPG dealer and picked out my paint color. Should be done in 2 weeks, if this works out, pretty sure I'll have him paint my TJ also.
Ooooh, 71 Stingray, gotta see some pics of that!

What color did you choose?
Well, for those hardcore Corvette fans (I'm a fan too, this is my 5th), I'm gonna upset you. The car still had the original war bonnet yellow, it was in very bad shape and the yellow didn't bother me because with the patina it gave it a gold look. So, chose to go with a bright silver for the new color (it's a Hyundai color from the late 90's).

Reactions: UpperMI