Paint match flame red with tractor paint?

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I have a couple front fenders and a tailgate for my 2004 TJ that I want to paint. As I've never painted anything before(other than rattle can) I want to practice with cheap paint, and majic tractor paint fits the bill. My question is how would I go about finding which of these colors will be the closest match?

https://www.majicpaints.com/tractor-supply-tractor-truck-implement-colors/

I have an extra, too rusty to repair, fender and some steel cabinets that I'll practice/learn how to paint on. The reason I want to try to match the color as closely as possible is that if it comes out good enough I'll just use it on my Jeep. I've been told that I can adjust the color somewhat by the color of primer I use.

If I'm not satisfied with the tractor paint I'll buy some regular automotive paint code matched paint. I'll still be able to use the knowledge gained using cheap paint to learn the basics.

If you had gotten top of the line paint code to spec perfect 2004 Flame Red paint, it can be a crapshoot on it matching your existing paint. Also, different paints can lay down differently depending on how good you are with your gun settings and conditions you're painting in. If you ended up using the Tractor Supply paint, that is a single stage enamel whereas your factory paint is most likely a urethane base coat/clear coat.

Best way to see a match is to buy it, spray it and compare to existing finish. Even if they gave you a sample, it may not be as accurate as what you can produce yourself since you're the one spraying these parts.

Reactions: matkal
I’m not looking for an exact match, just trying to figure out which one of the four reds is closest. I realize that the “color chips “ on the website are useless and am looking for a resource that can compare the four tractor colors to Jeeps flame red.

Im considering a similar DIY rattle can paint job on my 2003 flame red fender flares. I plan on using the same automotive paint i purchased for refreshing my interior.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/about-us.aspx
I used the flame red paint code off my VIN number to get color matching red primer, color matching base color, and clear coat. Was very happy with the color match as it blended well with the existing paint on the jeep. Sanding in between coats and buffing the clear coat left a nice finish. When im feeling brave ill tackle the flares... maybe even my hood... Here are some before and afters....
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG
1555511471601_IMG_0301.jpg
IMG_0311.JPG

Im considering a similar DIY rattle can paint job on my 2003 flame red fender flares. I plan on using the same automotive paint i purchased for refreshing my interior.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/about-us.aspx
I used the flame red paint code off my VIN number to get color matching red primer, color matching base color, and clear coat. Was very happy with the color match as it blended well with the existing paint on the jeep. Sanding in between coats and buffing the clear coat left a nice finish. When im feeling brave ill tackle the flares... maybe even my hood... Here are some before and afters....View attachment 94433View attachment 94434View attachment 94435View attachment 94436

That is a really good match, but just to be clear, My plan is to use a spray gun. I'm currently shopping for a compressor.

Reactions: oldjeepman
Don't mask straight lines unless you can follow body lines and blend in with the original coat. I've gotten a perfect color match but I haven't found a way to perfectly blend the clear top coat so it isn't noticeable in all light and angles.

Reactions: matkal and JMT
Auto body supply/paint shop will mix the original up for you. The match may be off a bit due to fading but that'll be the closest match.

The local NAPA mixes paint and will even mix sprayable paint as small as a half pint. That's where I'm headed if the tractor paint experiment doesn't come out like I'm hoping.

If you're set on using the implement paint (not a bad idea) make sure to get the reducer to spray it. Its WAY too thick to spray otherwise. Also, Mix in some of the hardener. It is a catalyst that increases the gloss level and decreases dry time. I've used it with great success on my sliders. Its holding up pretty well.

If you're set on using the implement paint (not a bad idea) make sure to get the reducer to spray it. Its WAY too thick to spray otherwise. Also, Mix in some of the hardener. It is a catalyst that increases the gloss level and decreases dry time. I've used it with great success on my sliders. Its holding up pretty well.

View attachment 94666

View attachment 94667

View attachment 94668

I can get a quart of primer and a quart of paint, reducer and hardner for about $50. If it doesn’t work out for the Jeep I’ll have a lot of red cabinets and lawn tractors. Lol

Reactions: jeepins
Update: I borrowed a “color book” ( it has color chips of automotive paint with a hole in the middle to help match paint) from the paint shop at work. I took the book to a neighbors farm and matched it to an intrrnational harvester tractor and it is a really close match. 👍
Thanks KOLCB

C0617D7C-0DBA-4A76-AB2C-9212ECCDBFF1.jpeg

Last edited:
Update #2: I bought a rattle can(just for convenience, I still plan on using a spray gun) of the IH red at TSC and did a test spray. I scuffed up my spare red fender and die three tests; one with no primer, one with greenish self etching primer and one with black SEP. With the black primer the color matches really close. Maybe close enough :)

Tag for results.
Man, I totally forgot about this thread. Lol
I haven’t really painted as I had planned, I had a guy paint my rust free tailgate and windshield frame and there was a little paint left over that I plan on using next summer. I did use a can of duplicolor on my tailgate hinges and pert of the cowl that I repaired. Perfect match