Rattle can paint for half doors

I also did the same with my hood
Hood prep.jpg

Hood finish.jpg

I painted full doors with Duplicolor. Mine turned out pretty good. I do have a little orange peel that you have to get close to see. The Duplicolor paint matched my 16 year old paint well. I am happy with the way they turned out but I did not like the way the Duplicolor sprayed. It sprayed really thin if that makes sense. I had about $100 dollars in the paint job. The cheapest I could find a body shop to paint them was $600 and they didn't want to do it.

Im going down this road now. Bought some 1/2 doors in December. They are Rhino lined with a Kelly Green base (OEM). Got one door prepped and starting the other. I also have to paint the inner panel to match the Camel of our interior. The interior paint arrives on Thursday. I got my exterior paint from a local jobber who mixed it on site to match, but the thing has a number of different whites on it. If you look hard, you can see it. I am using a urethane on mine.

Great information. Just bought some crappy half doors and was planning on rattle canning them flat black. After reading this thread though, I think I am going to attempt to paint them to match the Metallic Khaki. Just bought $100 worth of paint from Automotivetouchup.com. Wish me luck!!

Find your paint code in the driver door jamb, go buy as cheap or expensive auto spray paint as you want using the factory color. I paid Maaco @$100 to paint 1 half door (interior panel and hardware already removed). I originally tried DIY but I have white. The clearcoat kept yellowing and I gave up on it.

Jeep-paint-code-1024x389.jpg

Last edited:
X3 for Automotivetouchup.com
I used them for my trail doors. Came out pretty good. Taking your time and doing good prep makes all the difference.
View attachment 173134
Did you paint the doors with the hinges on or off? I am thinking that hinges off and painted separate is the way to go but everyone seems to advocate for lining up the doors and then painting them with the hinges on.

Reactions: Alex01
Did you paint the doors with the hinges on or off? I am thinking that hinges off and painted separate is the way to go but everyone seems to advocate for lining up the doors and then painting them with the hinges on.
I painted with hinges off. Seemed to work out fine.

I was going to use rattle cans but decided to just go to the local automotive paint supplier.
"the first" place said "using the mixing code" usually doesn't work, bring one of your full doors in and we will "exact" match the paint for your half doors. Huge mistake, the paint did NOT match at all, and the clear would not/did not dry as it should.
Removed the paint/sanded them down again and went to a different automotive paint supplier, the guy told ,me come back in couple of hours he would have the paint and everything I needed to paint my doors. His word was good, and as far as I can see an exact match to the rest of the jeep.
I bought a paint gun from HF, it was a cheap gun and there are lots of you tube videos on the spray gun. It was pretty inexpensive to do the painting and it turned out to be a VERY close match and pretty much no fuss.
I changed out the weather stripping, so I adjusted the hinges/doors before paint and painted everything with the hinges in place/adjusted
I have never had very good luck using rattle cans on bigger areas, like doors/hood or bigger flat areas, streaks seem to always show, using an automotive spray gun and automotive mixed paint was easy and went on very good

X3 for Automotivetouchup.com
I used them for my trail doors. Came out pretty good. Taking your time and doing good prep makes all the difference.
View attachment 173134
Thinking about buying some green half doors.... Is your paint code PSB? If so could you link the paint you bought. This looks good enough for me to try and tackle it myself.

Reactions: DuncLJ
Did you get the 12 Oz can and how many cans did you need for the job? Thanks!

Yes, I got everything in 12oz cans:
3 cans each of base coat, primer, and clear.

I don't have OEM half doors. I have aluminum trail doors; so I didn't have to worry about door jambs. I'd go with more basecoat if I was doing OEM doors.

*Edit* I did the rattle can on trail doors. They look good enough, but they don't quite look like factory. If you're looking for factory finish and quality; you might need to go beyond rattle cans.

Last edited:
Yes, I got everything in 12oz cans:
3 cans each of base coat, primer, and clear.

I don't have OEM half doors. I have aluminum trail doors; so I didn't have to worry about door jambs. I'd go with more basecoat if I was doing OEM doors.

*Edit* I did the rattle can on trail doors. They look good enough, but they don't quite look like factory. If you're looking for factory finish and quality; you might need to go beyond rattle cans.
Thanks for the help! I would love a perfect match but I am not spending a fortune on paint matching when these are gonna be strictly summer/trail doors. As long as it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb I'll be glad I saved money

Can I use any primer/clearcoat? They are out of stock on the website

Reactions: DuncLJ
Thanks for the help! I would love a perfect match but I am not spending a fortune on paint matching when these are gonna be strictly summer/trail doors. As long as it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb I'll be glad I saved money

Can I use any primer/clearcoat? They are out of stock on the website
No problem, I would think you could use any other automotive primer/clear coat.
Good luck, be sure to post up your success.

I've had very good results with rattle cans. I did these flares years ago when I was converting my LJ into a pickup and they held up very well:

View attachment 156455

And recently I did this CJ/JL-style TJ grille with rattle cans.

View attachment 156456

Color on both is an exact match for the factory color.

One thing I highly recommend is doing a very durable clear coat over the rattle can color. The best way to do that with rattle cans is to use a 2k (2 component) clear like this one from Eastwood: https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s...zlXXMFxQuK_Z-Uc95KWsIC7ykQWpnvmYaAhuOEALw_wcB or the SprayMax clear posted by @CodaMan earlier in this thread. These come in a special can which provides for mixing the two components before spraying and as a catalyzed finish it's very durable.
I may have missed it. Did you ever make a decision on production of those grills. I’d love one.

I may have missed it. Did you ever make a decision on production of those grills. I’d love one.
I haven't done anything with that grille since I finished the first one out of the mold. I've got the mold here and it's available if anyone wants to produce these grilles, but I'm not in business and I don't sell anything so if it's going to become available someone's going to have to pick it up.

Also haven't had time to finish the mold for the Willys MB-style grille I've been working on, too many other priorites recently . There's no urgency since these won't be going on any of my Jeeps, I'm just doing them as "art projects" :).

Hanging in my basement... the CJ/JL style grille, a stock TJ grille and the Willys MB-style work-in-progress grille...

3Grilles.jpg