Painting door panels with SEM paint

@moab , If you have your build sheet it should have your interior code in it. Mine was J3 for Khaki. You can then look up he right SEM paint following what I posted above.

There was a link on this site on how to get your build sheet but I don’t remember off hand what it is. I’ll see if I can find it and post it, if someone doesn’t beat me to it.

I washed the door panels down with Dawn dish soap and a 3M gray scuff pad. Whatever the black paint is a previous owner installed must have been applied properly. Barely any of the black came off and I scrubbed pretty hard on the areas that had wear and chips in it. When ever I get to paint it, I'll hit it with some type of adhesion promotor before applying the SEM paint. This isn't a priority for me to get done. I had actually planned of doing this over the winter, but I was a little bored this weekend and decided to do a little. Hell, I've had the doors about 1-1/2 years (I think) and just put them up in the shop attic until I was ready to do something.

IMG_8425.JPG

Last edited:
There are ways to fix the crack. I have a couple too in these half door panels I’m wanting to paint. I plan to drill a small hole at the ends of the crack to keep it from spreading. Them use JB weld for plastic on the edges of the crack and to fill in the hole. On the back I plan to cut some thin aluminum so I can mold it to fit. Drill some holes in the aluminum, scuff the area of the inside door panel and the aluminum where they will meet and use the same JB weld to hold it on like a reinforced backing plate. The holes will let JB weld squeeze through and hold onto the aluminum.

I was planning on using epoxy with some dry wall mesh tape behind my door panel cracks. Is the aluminum needed for support/rigidity?

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Dry wall mesh would probably work. I've used aluminum for similar projects/fixes in the past with success, so that's why I was planning that.

Reactions: zebra12
Thought I'd throw a couple more pictures on here for reference.

I've heard the lock cylinder caps are different sized on different years. I think the '97 - '02 are smaller than the '03 - '06. Not positive if those years are 100% accurate though. My Jeep is an '06. I know these doors came off of an older TJ because they had the funky door seals that had the plastic track that the seals slid into. It appears that these cap are smaller than my '06 caps. I don't know if the cylinders themselves are different sized though.

IMG_8430.JPG

IMG_8390.JPG

Passengers side half door cylinder.

IMG_8428.JPG

IMG_8429.JPG

IMG_8432.JPG

IMG_8433.JPG

Thought I'd throw a couple more pictures on here for reference.

I've heard the lock cylinder caps are different sized on different years. I think the '97 - '02 are smaller than the '03 - '06. Not positive if those years are 100% accurate though. My Jeep is an '06. I know these doors came off of an older TJ because they had the funky door seals that had the plastic track that the seals slid into. It appears that these cap are smaller than my '06 caps. I don't know if the cylinders themselves are different sized though.

View attachment 112887

View attachment 112889

Passengers side half door cylinder.

View attachment 112891

View attachment 112892

View attachment 112893

View attachment 112894
They are different size. My '97 came with half doors. I bought full doors from a later model and planned on swapping the locks so the ignition key would work with the full doors. Realized the issue so I've been using two sets of keys in the colder weather. I'm gonna try to rekey the full doors someday. It's on the list.

Here's all my old, faded stuff removed, washed and drying in the sun.
1567430882262.png

SEM Color Coat 15303 Graphite to replace the original light gray parts.
1567431032700.png

SEM Color Coat 15243 Satin Black to replace the original dark charcoal parts.
1567431132633.png

Reinstalling in Jeep. Note: I was not trying to match anything original or factory. I just wanted to revitalize my old faded parts with a new look (but keep it factory-looking if that makes any sense). Also, I did not use any kind of primer nor would I only because I don't think it's necessary for one and second, I don't like the idea of too much paint on top of the plastic. The adhesion promoter is responsible for the paint to adhere to the plastic.
1567431726351.png

Any kind of fade, marks, etc. is just in the photo. The SEM layed down perfectly and smoothly with no splotching, etc. I put about 3 medium coats on each panel in all. Also, I used either the SEM adhesion promoter OR the bulldog adhesion promoter on a particular panel. Not both together on a single piece. Just clearing that up.

@jeepins , what did you do about the material in the back of the map pockets? It seems like it would be easy enough to mask off with painters tape. Is that what you did?

Here's all my old, faded stuff removed, washed and drying in the sun.

Reinstalling in Jeep. Note: I was not trying to match anything original or factory. I just wanted to revitalize my old faded parts with a new look (but keep it factory-looking if that makes any sense). Also, I did not use any kind of primer nor would I only because I don't think it's necessary for one and second, I don't like the idea of too much paint on top of the plastic. The adhesion promoter is responsible for the paint to adhere to the plastic.

I didn't see the actual dash in the pics of parts that you were prepping for paint, so I have to ask is the pic below a painted part next to an unpainted part? I am wondering how close the SEM 15303 is to the original dash color.

1567597874695.png

Reactions: RussTJ
Also, what year is your jeep? we have 99 with the lighter grey panels. Looks to be the same as yours, but wondering if there was a panel color change an any point for the light grey?

My Jeep is a 98. I removed the entire dash to paint so everything is painted. What was once the light gray is now graphite and the darker gray/black parts are satin black. I looked through my phone but don't think I took one with the main dash being painted while sitting on the tailgate of my pickup. I do have sort of a before, during & after of it attached.

jeep_interior_before.jpg

jeep_interior_during.jpg

jeep_interior_after.jpg

Thanks, Our dash is much darker (close to your final color). Was there a color change for grey or was there always a darker option and that is what we have?

1567600752159.png

Our dash looks good, was hoping to not paint it, but the door panels need to be painted for sure. I guess I should just start with them and see how close it is to the dash.

So I just looked at my VIN spec sheet and there is one line that says "Agate" So would this be the correct Colorbond product:
1567601214072.png

Honestly I can't help with any color matching. Since I was painting everything I didn't care about matching and wanted to go darker anyway. If you're matching then you'll have to order a little and do a test.

Anyone know the correct SEM Color Coat or ColorBond number for 1999 Agate?

SEM shows 4608 that I can't seem to find anywhere:
1567608839321.png