Painting door panels with SEM paint

I used a gray 3M pad on my half door panels. It looks a little less abrasive.

I used Rustoleum bed liner on my flares, and it has held up VERY well. I painted them three years ago, its still holding on and not chipped.

What is the Rustoleum bed liner like once it's cured? Hard? Soft/Rubbery? Is there a lot of grain or rough surface to it?

I'm thinking of painting certain areas of a Pack Mule trailer I had with something like that.

If I can just use the Rustoleum, then I'll save some money. The SEM is expensive. I can probably pick it up locally too. Thank you both.

Prep is king. I used grey scotchbrite pads and dawn dish soap. Scrubbed and washed them down. Then let sun dry. Then adhesion promoter and then paint. I used sem. But I'm sure other paints will work fine. If you do bed liner. Practice with different distances on something else first. Far away is better sometimes. Rustoleum bed liner did not go on good for me at normal distance. SO I used SEM. Kinda wish I'd played with the bed liner a bit more.

If I can just use the Rustoleum, then I'll save some money. The SEM is expensive. I can probably pick it up locally too. Thank you both.
I really like the texture it gave me. Here is kind of a close up of my rear flare. Its a pretty fine grain. Clean up nice, too. Its not something you're going to hit with Armor all and make shiny though. It a matte finish.

1584560494351.png

Reactions: JMT
I used a gray 3M pad on my half door panels. It looks a little less abrasive.

What is the Rustoleum bed liner like once it's cured? Hard? Soft/Rubbery? Is there a lot of grain or rough surface to it?

I'm thinking of painting certain areas of a Pack Mule trailer I had with something like that.
See my post above...

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Can anyone confirm which SEM Adhesion Promoter to use on interior door panels? For our Jeeps is it the SEM 38363 or SEM 39863?

Thanks

DT

Reactions: TDB55
Can anyone confirm which SEM Adhesion Promoter to use on interior door panels? For our Jeeps is it the SEM 38363 or SEM 39863?

Thanks

DT
I would like to know too. Did you read the data sheets on both? Especially the note under preparation using the Sand Free. It tells you how to test the Sand Free to see if it is the right product for your plastic but if it doesn’t react properly you need to buy the other one

Reactions: Dan T.
When I did my flares, I scuffed em with a green scotch bright to smooth em out and give the paint some "tooth" then I cleaned them real well with dishsoap (an excellent degreaser) and let them dry in the sunlight. Then right before the adhesion promoter (rustoleum) I wiped them down with Rubbing Alcohol and a microfiber. Follow the directions on the can of adhesion promoter and apply your topcoat in the correct time window. I used Rustoleum bed liner on my flares, and it has held up VERY well. I painted them three years ago, its still holding on and not chipped.
How about the “Jeep gray fade” have they maintained the black from 3 years ago?

im getting ready to do the same with SEM Trim-satin finish on a new set of flares to make my old bumpers look uniform...

I just did my interior with SEM. I used the sand fever adhesion promotor and it worked really well. I have a 97 with the light grey interior. Wanted to make it darker and add red accents. The sem laid down really well (I did use a spray booth which helped). The grey took 3 coats for perfect coverage. The red took 6-7 for full coverage. I haven’t gotten to the door panels yet, but I used 4 cans on the dash and center console. Make sure you get vinyl prep if you are doing the vinyl wrapped parts too.
The one pic shows the faded light grey against the new dark grey. Drying racks show all the little parts (there are a lot)!

A74C22C1-602B-4245-B437-BAB216FC3F7B.jpeg

DE8DB4A8-FD02-4F3E-8271-B3C4AEF6F643.jpeg

8EE974F4-EBAB-43EA-BEFF-A9635AF16F76.jpeg

8B399BFD-82C4-40BD-8780-0FB97B02F99E.jpeg

you’ve probably already figured this out by now, but 4608 is the correct code, its just not something they stock and has to be mixed by your local dealer.

I just did my interior with SEM. I used the sand fever adhesion promotor and it worked really well. I have a 97 with the light grey interior. Wanted to make it darker and add red accents. The sem laid down really well (I did use a spray booth which helped). The grey took 3 coats for perfect coverage. The red took 6-7 for full coverage. I haven’t gotten to the door panels yet, but I used 4 cans on the dash and center console. Make sure you get vinyl prep if you are doing the vinyl wrapped parts too.
The one pic shows the faded light grey against the new dark grey. Drying racks show all the little parts (there are a lot)!

View attachment 149713

View attachment 149714

View attachment 149715

View attachment 149716

That grey turned out nice. Makes me want to hire someone with a paint booth! lol! My entire interior needs this. Not badly. But enough that it would look great after doing it. Got any comparison shots of before and after?

Does anyone know of an online retailer that will mix custom SEM paints?

I got some cans custom mixed from Vinyl Pro in the SEM 5545 instead of the SEM 15833 that I bought from Amazon. I thought they were the same, but the 15833 from Amazon was lighter colored. The 5545 is spot on in my opinion.

I just painted these half door panels with SEM 5545 from Vinyl Pro next to my OEM Khaki full doors.
door panels.jpg

This is a comparison of some small parts with SEM 5545 on the left and middle boxes and the 15833 from Amazon on the right box.
IMG_9797.JPG

Last edited:
I got some cans custom mixed from Vinyl Pro in the SEM 5545 instead of the SEM 15833 that I bought from Amazon. I thought they were the same, but the 15833 from Amazon was lighter colored. The 5545 is spot on in my opinion.

I just painted these half door panels with SEM 5545 from Vinyl Pro next to my OEM Khaki full doors.
View attachment 156170

This is a comparison of some small parts with SEM 5545 on the left and the 15833 from Amazon on the right.
View attachment 156171
SEM 5545 on the left and 15833 from Amazon on the right-- What about the middle??