Parts needed for front cat replacement?

Flcnj94

Forgive me for any ignorance here, but I’m going to be replacing my front cats with the Walker 53461 cats. 2002 Jeep TJ, 4.0, automatic. On rockauto, it told me I need the pipe flange gasket/seal as well, so I went ahead and added the Walker brand one to my cart (in photo). I assume this will go between the end of the Walker pipe to the rear cat converter?

Are there any other gaskets, bolts, nuts, or pieces I need to complete this install?

Also, any tips for installing this with ease? (It won’t be me, but a great mechanically inclined friend). Thanks!

IMG_8135.jpeg

Getting the funnel shaped flange connections lined up can be tricky. I was working by myself in the driveway and found some wood wedges and ratchet straps to be handy to get the 2 Cats and the exhaust manifold lined up. Just depends on the jig/welder when the pipe was put together. I used an AFE 2 piece with a splice up front of the oil pan that was easier to line up. But I had issue with the individual precats alignment. I looped a long ratchet strap over/under the engine to support the Y Pipe since I was working alone. Then another strap and some wedges around the 2 Pre-cats to get thing in alignmnet. Mine must have been a Friday or Monday weld.

Factory Captive Nuts, you might consider replacing those. I get the occasional P2098 code now on Bank2 because they back off and lose torque which leads to an exhaust leak.

You will need some cuss words and a collection of 3/8 wobble joints and extensions for down below, its not too bad. A couple flex head ratchet wrenches makes it easier from the top side as there is hardly any clearance and it is 2 clicks at a time.

• Love
Reactions: ColoJeep
Getting the funnel shaped flange connections lined up can be tricky. I was working by myself in the driveway and found some wood wedges and ratchet straps to be handy to get the 2 Cats and the exhaust manifold lined up. Just depends on the jig/welder when the pipe was put together. I used an AFE 2 piece with a splice up front of the oil pan that was easier to line up. But I had issue with the individual precats alignment. I looped a long ratchet strap over/under the engine to support the Y Pipe since I was working alone. Then another strap and some wedges around the 2 Pre-cats to get thing in alignmnet. Mine must have been a Friday or Monday weld.

Factory Captive Nuts, you might consider replacing those. I get the occasional P2098 code now on Bank2 because they back off and lose torque which leads to an exhaust leak.

You will need some cuss words and a collection of 3/8 wobble joints and extensions for down below, its not too bad. A couple flex head ratchet wrenches makes it easier from the top side as there is hardly any clearance and it is 2 clicks at a time.

Thanks for the reply! I’ll be able to give him a hand atleast so maybe that will alleviate some cuss words at certain points lol.

Are there gaskets or seals that connect the mini cats up at the manifold, do you know? Or is it just the flange seal gasket to connect at the rear cat?

Have a link or part number for the factory nuts you’re talking about replacing?