Perfect tire size at 81 mph

Okay i understand. I check my jeep every week, and i choose best parts (i replace all the old parts). But It’s not a problem for me to drive slower and don’t drive more 70, i prefer security to problems, i don’t buy a jeep to go quick, just enjoy the moment. My question is : 33s on my actually wheel(15x10) will be okay (not perfect) ? Or is it better to stay and not save money and buy new wheels(15x8) + tires 31-32 ?

I have 33×12.5x15 tires on 15x10 wheels.those tires are slightly wider than the rims. It is not as good offroad as 15x8 wheels since the tire can come off the rim or be damaged easier.

The wider wheels also have Undesirable steering characteristics compared to 15x8 regardless of tire size. But you will be just fine with 33s on your wheels.

Hope you enjoy some nature and sunshine in your jeep tj!

Following my own recommended goal of 3000rpm at 75mph(120kph), the ideal tire size for the 42rle would be about a 26" tire.

download (2).jpeg

• Puke
Reactions: L J and jjvw
I will say again, driving high speed (70+) in a TJ jeep is asking for trouble. Slow down, they are not a sports car.

I agree. If you want a 81+ mph vehicle, I don't believe you want a Jeep TJ. There are no aerodynamics with a TJ. It is basically a box on wheels. Sure, one can add a supercharger or a Hemi to a Jeep, but then again, I think you have the wrong vehicle. Just stay in the slow lane around 70, stay safe, and enjoy its off road capabilites. I can drive 81+ mph in my maintained stock 4.0 TJ, but I don't find it safe, with the braking distance and roll over potential. I stay in the slow lane, 60 to 70mph and have reached 220,000 miles on my original engine. It might be better to have a Porsche if you want high speed to drive on the highway or Autobahn. Sure, they will whiz by you, by their crashes will end their lives. Stay safe and live long, or get a Porsche, better known as the "Widow Maker".

Reactions: nitrofalcon
A few months ago I had a nearly new (less than 500 miles on it) 35" tire blow out at just under 75 MPH/120 KPH. Although the sidewall failed from the tread almost all the way to the bead (basically an explosive decompression) it was a non-event from a controllability standpoint. The Jeep pulled to the left (driver's front tire blew) but not hard enough for me to lose my grip on the steering wheel. It drifted about three feet to the left before the initial surprise wore off, and it was easy to maintain control as I pulled off to the side of the highway. As has been stated already, a well set-up and maintained TJ/LJ will generally be quite well behaved under most circumstances.

383.jpg

My TJ drives comfortably at 80mph.

I don't make a habit of it for a number of reasons, one being the ability to watch the fuel gauge drop in real time, but my LJ rolling on factory suspension (as in the original from 2005) with 31" KO2's on Ravines displays no histrionics at that speed....though cornering at 80 can pucker the sphincter a bit...

I find that 60-65 is best for highway driving and "fuel economy". I drive with a minimum of one full hand on the wheel, most of the time it's two (that's why it's a wheel and not a tiller ;)).

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
The TJ top speed was marketed as 108mph.

To be honest, if my jeep wasnt completely stable at 80, I wouldn't be comfortable driving it much over 30. In my opinion, either the vehicle is set up to work on highways or it isn't.

Nothing down stream of the transfer case, and south of the frame is more than 5 years old, all the parts on it are premium quality, way over built, and as finely aligned and balanced as my local shop can get it. Sure, she's brick shaped, so the wind catches her like a sail and so I keep my whole hands on the wheel, but it feels sure footed enough that I see no reason it wouldn't go all the way up to the tires speed rating of 99mph.

All of that being said, I find the most comfort and economy at 55-60. If I'm wanting to make time at the expense of noise and fuel, 75 is not a big sacrifice (in noise anyway).

Reactions: L J and WVJeep304
To be honest, if my jeep wasnt completely stable at 80, I wouldn't be comfortable driving it much over 30. In my opinion, either the vehicle is set up to work on highways or it isn't.

Nothing down stream of the transfer case, and south of the frame is more than 5 years old, all the parts on it are premium quality, way over built, and as finely aligned and balanced as my local shop can get it. Sure, she's brick shaped, so the wind catches her like a sail and so I keep my whole hands on the wheel, but it feels sure footed enough that I see no reason it wouldn't go all the way up to the tires speed rating of 99mph.

All of that being said, I find the most comfort and economy at 55-60. If I'm wanting to make time at the expense of noise and fuel, 75 is not a big sacrifice (in noise anyway).

A lot of these guys do not understand that if you build your Jeep to handle and perform well on pavement, it will also do very well and take care of you offroad. The two endeavors are not at all mutually exclusive.

I agree. If you want a 81+ mph vehicle, I don't believe you want a Jeep TJ. There are no aerodynamics with a TJ. It is basically a box on wheels. Sure, one can add a supercharger or a Hemi to a Jeep, but then again, I think you have the wrong vehicle. Just stay in the slow lane around 70, stay safe, and enjoy its off road capabilites. I can drive 81+ mph in my maintained stock 4.0 TJ, but I don't find it safe, with the braking distance and roll over potential. I stay in the slow lane, 60 to 70mph and have reached 220,000 miles on my original engine. It might be better to have a Porsche if you want high speed to drive on the highway or Autobahn. Sure, they will whiz by you, by their crashes will end their lives. Stay safe and live long, or get a Porsche, better known as the "Widow Maker".

Good points.
Welcome! I wouldn't worry too much, for many of us here it's our native tongue and we're less than perfect with it as well. :ROFLMAO:

I learned English from a book!!!🤣

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
I’m not doing 60 on Texas Highways, you’re the danger when you do that, and the posted speed is 75 or 80 (or 85 like the 130 tollway).

My TJ has no issue at all at that speed, and it’s as well maintained as any car I’ve owned.

I’m not sure why anyone with a well maintained Jeep would think spontaneous DW would show. F150’s have as much DW issue as any vehicle.

I’m not doing 60 on Texas Highways, you’re the danger when you do that, and the posted speed is 75 or 80 (or 85 like the 130 tollway).

My TJ has no issue at all at that speed, and it’s as well maintained as any car I’ve owned.

I’m not sure why anyone with a well maintained Jeep would think spontaneous DW would show. F150’s have as much DW issue as any vehicle.

100% agree with this. ^^

DW tends to happen around 42-50mph too. I’ve had it, but it never triggered at 60 or 70mph. It was always at 42-50mph.

Never seen DW with f150. I've had three of them.