Phone Mounting

I see a lot of people that have some kind of balljoint/arm setup near the center of the dash for their phone mounts. Anyone ever tried these? https://carmount.com/ (just the simple stickon magenets, F1) I was a little on the fence, til I saw some video of them taking some sedan over a speed bump at like 15mph lol. Looked a lot like 4wheeling lol. I have one coming but curious if anyones tried one for some actual offroading, those guys in the vids didn't seem to do much of that.

Someone spent a lot of money on web design for something as simple as a magnet phone mount. But hey, marketing sells.

Yes, I use something like this, which I found on Amazon. Holds my phone fine.

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket
Super solid option

67D-CF-TJG2-05_695x695.png

https://www.67d.com/products/jeep-tj-mount-packs

Reactions: Van and rasband
Someone spent a lot of money on web design for something as simple as a magnet phone mount. But hey, marketing sells.

Yes, I use something like this, which I found on Amazon. Holds my phone fine.
Hell, it checked every box I was looking for. So it got my attention but didn't trick me... unless it isn't as advertised lol.

So I see it's "floating" above the dash - does it stay that way when wheeling? I see a lot of pics of mounts that end up resting on the dash cos they can't hold the phone well

Holy crap - that's how much I paid for my phone :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
Hell, it checked every box I was looking for. So it got my attention but didn't trick me... unless it isn't as advertised lol.

So I see it's "floating" above the dash - does it stay that way when wheeling? I see a lot of pics of mounts that end up resting on the dash cos they can't hold the phone well

Holy crap - that's how much I paid for my phone :ROFLMAO:
Yes, it doesn't move. We had two iphone max's and my inreach mounted there at TJFest.

Should've taken a look, dang. I'd guess those are heavier than my phone, too. Looks like I've got about 8 other good options if the one I got ends up being crap :ROFLMAO:
I always thought it was stupid expensive but then my stick on mount fell off for the 3rd time.

I figured I'd see what I was missing.

My 2nd rig will get that system too.

I always thought it was stupid expensive but then my stick on mount fell off for the 3rd time.

I figured I'd see what I was missing.

My 2nd rig will get that system too.
I'm kinda cheap unfortunately lol. Trying to get away from that mentality but... sometimes I really just need to figure out for myself why nobody uses the "cheap shit". Starting to convince myself not to be this way when it comes to "important" things (suspension parts, precision tools, etc.) but when it comes to things that aren't critical my stingy ass can't resist the idea of "saving" 30-80bucks

I'm kinda cheap unfortunately lol. Trying to get away from that mentality but... sometimes I really just need to figure out for myself why nobody uses the "cheap shit". Starting to convince myself not to be this way when it comes to "important" things (suspension parts, precision tools, etc.) but when it comes to things that aren't critical my stingy ass can't resist the idea of "saving" 30-80bucks
You may have higher priorities too.

When you get to the point there’s nothing more to buy then a good phone mount may make more sense.

It’ll be a while before I’m to that point on LJ2.

You may have higher priorities too.

When you get to the point there’s nothing more to buy then a good phone mount may make more sense.

It’ll be a while before I’m to that point on LJ2.
True! That 80$ can actually do me some good now. Once you're buying all those RJ axles and other big stuff 80$ is chump change.

I love the simplicity of mag mounts and use several, one on my desk, one on my workbench, one in my toolbox. But for vehicles, it depends on the phone weight and setup. My old phone had a thin removable plastic back and no case. I put the metal plate in there and it wouldn't budge from the magnet no matter what. My new phone is heavier and I use a case which is thicker and reduces the magnetic grip a little. It hasn't fallen off but it's nowhere near as secure.

I have a cheap magnet Mount I bout at O Reilly a few years ago. My last iPhone was smaller and held perfect while wheelin. Then I got a larger iPhone without thinking and it would fall off a lot. I changed phone cases and it has a bigger magnet and I’m back to all good. The magnet mounts are my favorite setup.

I have a cheap magnet Mount I bout at O Reilly a few years ago. My last iPhone was smaller and held perfect while wheelin. Then I got a larger iPhone without thinking and it would fall off a lot. I changed phone cases and it has a bigger magnet and I’m back to all good. The magnet mounts are my favorite setup.
Is the jeep-side flat? Where did you end up sticking it? Haven't decided on that yet for mine

I’m running a 67 designs attached to the dash bar of my roll bar. Best I’ve ever seen or used for holding a phone.

Is the jeep-side flat? Where did you end up sticking it? Haven't decided on that yet for mine
I have this Rugged Ridge Dash Accessory. It came with the ball mount style, but I never used it. I removed it and underneath is a pre-threaded hole. I had a bolt that fit the tbreads that I used to bolt down the magnet mount that i got at O Reilly. I’ll try to take a pic tomorrow.

I
Blocking vents is ridiculous and not practical to me. I use these Scosche mounts in 3 vehicles and couldn't be happier. I just get my phone close and it pops on the magnet without having to fool with clamping it in or worry pushing any side buttons. One handed placement & removal always. I also don't like how bulky clamps/cradles are. The dash piece also swivels so mega options for phone angles

I've never had my phone fall off the mount but the magnet will need to be on the outside of your case if you use one.

https://www.scosche.com/magicmount-pro-dash-2pack
View attachment 270605

View attachment 270606

View attachment 270607
use this one as well.
Pretty happy with it.
I have the metal inside my case and it works just fine but to be fair the cases on both of my iPhones are super thin.

Bullet Proof Mounts. Here's my review...

Basically it vibrates badly... especially off road...but... Bullet Proof stated I should not have installed it on a curved surface and offered to send me a shorter arm.

-Mac