Pitman arm installation

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
I’m in the middle of changing out my dropped pitman arm for an oem and came to a roadblock. How do I tighten the castle nut back on if the threaded part coming out of the drag link’s ball and socket joint spins in place?

A6D65A4C-A57C-43A8-A6E9-0DE40018217A.jpeg

You can try some channel locks or similar tool to squeeze the two parts together. That'll keep it from spinning

Reactions: Tob
Try a file or a die to chase the threads out on the tapered bolt... looks like it got whacked/mushroomed when it was removed.

Reactions: Tob
I think an impact wrench helps to get it tight... but don't tell anyone on here you are using a drop pitman arm....

Sometimes an impact gun will spin so fast it will keep the other end from spinning.

Reactions: Ante_Up
Try a file or a die to chase the threads out on the tapered bolt... looks like it got whacked/mushroomed when it was removed.
Okay I’ll try that. Yes I may have slightly messed up the threads when getting the dropped one off. Does it not need to be torqued down? Just enough to get the cotter pin in?

Okay I’ll try that. Yes I may have slightly messed up the threads when getting the dropped one off. Does it not need to be torqued down? Just enough to get the cotter pin in?
Once you get tight, torque to 70 ft lb, then tighten as needed to line up the cotter pin.