Pitman Arm Question & Bump Steer

BobbyA1

I have a year 2000 TJ, purchased it a few months ago. It came with what appears to be a 2 inch Rough Country (RC) Suspension Lift in addition to 1.5" RC Wheel Spacers. The wheel spacers also converts the hubs from a 5x4.5 bolt pattern to a 5x5 and the PO used that to put 17 inch Rims with 33's.

Problem:
Driving the Jeep, it is all over the place, it is almost comedy. I'd sum it up in 3 areas and could use any tips or advice on fixing.
(1) Definitely feel some "bump steer" or whatever it is when driving over a bump or uneven roadway surface, the TJ wants to steer in the direction of the bump.
(2) Coasting feels like it is blowing in the wind with front pulling to the left and rear pulling to right and steering is constantly fighting between the 2 directions, like all tires aren't quite lined up straight. This sensation is somewhat negated during acceleration.
(3) When I put it in 4WD "HI" and drive say 30-45 mph, it feels much more "lined up" it doesn't 100% eliminate the bump steer and blowing in the wind sensation but does feel like it reduced it by 70% or more.

Attached is a photo of the Pitman Arm that is on the TJ now, I can't tell if it is a drop pitman arm or is it factory OEM spec.

Thanks for looking & any tips.

IMG_0514.JPG

From the looks of the marks on the tie rod somebody has had a wrench on it trying to do something. Do a garage "toe" check and see what that shows you. having the Toe way off will do bad things.

Reactions: BobbyA1
time for some maintenance on that steering linkage. the adjuster is rotted, the TRE on the pitman looks sloppy. somebodys been crankin the TR with a pipe wrench............... i'd start with a steer test in the driveway. .

tell santa you want a currectlync.

Reactions: BobbyA1
It looks like that pitman arm was beat with a hammer to remove it from a steering box. I don't know if it would cause that steering box to have issues or not. Sorry, just something else to think about.
It does, yes I noticed that too in addition to the wrench marks on the tie rod. I did adjust the tension screw/nut on the Power Steering, it did seem to work properly, made the steering "stiffer."

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
Do you have any other pics of front end? I’m wondering about the front track bar mounts. If its not parallel with the drag link, that may be part of it.

Your steering geometry is fine, as in the operating planes of the track bar and drag link are parallel enough not to cause bump steer, that's not the issue.

Do you have any other pics of front end? I’m wondering about the front track bar mounts. If its not parallel with the drag link, that may be part of it.
The stock links are not parallel to begin with. But as long as the track bar and steering are in their stock mounting configurations, there isn't going to be any bump steer.

might be camera angle but the C's look like they have a good bit of lean, what's the caster or pinion angle? even the spring perches look tilted.
could to caster much cause the symptoms?

Your steering geometry is fine, as in the operating planes of the track bar and drag link are parallel enough not to cause bump steer, that's not the issue.
Agree. With the track bar and drag link attaching in stock locations and without a dropped pitman arm, that’s not the problem.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
This appears to be a Rancho or Rough Country stabilizer. Both those (the silver ones anyway) are gas charged which can add unwanted feedback to your steering. I suggest removing the drag link bolt and see if the shaft extends on it's own. If so, I'd replace it with a standard cheepo neutral stabilizer (like Monroe). While it won't fix all that ails you, it would be a step in the right direction.

attachments.jpg

This appears to be a Rancho or Rough Country stabilizer. Both those (the silver ones anyway) are gas charged which can add unwanted feedback to your steering. I suggest removing the drag link bolt and see if the shaft extends on it's own. If so, I'd replace it with a standard cheepo neutral stabilizer (like Monroe). While it won't fix all that ails you, it would be a step in the right direction.

View attachment 294631
Good idea and suggestion, do as advised and see if it extends out on its own after removing the driver's side mounting bolt. If it does that means it is gas-charged and you need to change it to the OE type hydraulic which does not extend out on its own. Gas-charged can make your steering want to drift toward the left. Doing that wouldn't cure bump steer but if your Jeep wants to drift toward the left it will likely cure that.

Reactions: AndyG

View attachment 294631
Maybe. Maybe not. I have a gas charged Fox damper and I can't really tell it it pushes the steering in any meaningful way.

It probably is, as the PO had installed a Rough Country 2 inch lift along with Rough Country 1.5" wheel spacers and converted rims from 5x4.5 to 5x5. All the shocks are that same silver (minus my black chassis paint overspray)