Planning my TJ Rubicon Build (Advice on Clayton Short Arm)

Kevin Q

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey folks,

I've been planning the build on my newly acquired 05 TJR in the 10 days I've had it. Plan is to enjoy it for the year and then build it out next winter/spring. This really all depends on the state of the economy. Anyway, looking for some advice based on experiences. I met today with a very reputable Jeep fab shop nearby. They will be protecting the frame with Eastwood Frame Paint. I also talked with them about my build plans. These guys work closely with Clayton for lifts. I'm looking at a 4" short arm, 35" tires, etc. These guys would basically take care of the underside of the Jeep. I would replace the bumpers and do the other work as I can fund it. This rig will be a weekender only. I would say 70% onroad, 30% off. I'm looking to enjoy it the way it deserves.

My main goal is to hear feedback on Clayton short arm lifts.

Slainte!
Kevin

Hey folks,

I've been planning the build on my newly acquired 05 TJR in the 10 days I've had it. Plan is to enjoy it for the year and then build it out next winter/spring. This really all depends on the state of the economy. Anyway, looking for some advice based on experiences. I met today with a very reputable Jeep fab shop nearby. They will be protecting the frame with Eastwood Frame Paint. I also talked with them about my build plans. These guys work closely with Clayton for lifts. I'm looking at a 4" short arm, 35" tires, etc. These guys would basically take care of the underside of the Jeep. I would replace the bumpers and do the other work as I can fund it. This rig will be a weekender only. I would say 70% onroad, 30% off. I'm looking to enjoy it the way it deserves.

My main goal is to hear feedback on Clayton short arm lifts.

Slainte!
Kevin

Clayton isn't bad at all, but for that money, go Savvy 4".

What does Clayton use for joints? Are the arms double adjustable?

We talked about Johnny Joints, Adjustable, Fox Shocks, etc. We didn't put anything to paper as we were just talking ball park ideas.

They use Johnny Joints, don’t they? If so, that’s a plus. Are they double adjustable arms? What do they use for springs? What are the free lengths of the springs compared to Currie?

Clayton is a highly respected, small local company in the NE. They make quality suspensions.

Their short arms are single adjustable, with their proprietary GIIRO bushings and Johnny Joints.
They have a "beginner" kit and a more complete kit.

I ran one for many years, mostly off road, and it worked and took abuse.

If I may ask, which shop in PA is doing the work? And are they providing the parts or are you sourcing your own parts?

I've heard of them. Just have no experience dealing with them.

I was just curious if it was A to Z Fab. Which is/was another highly respected shop in the region that likes Clayton suspensions. I was curious because the owner Zach passed away recently and didn't know if the crew or shop was pressing on with staying in business.

Good luck with your decision and good luck with your jeep.

Those girro joints are not the same as the synergy ddb’s the center bushing was loose in the girro where the synergy is pressed in. So I ran a flex joint and a rubber Cevite in the wife’s tj, I would not mix and match again, the rubbers blew out after 18 months to 3 years in the rear on a no lift stock Jeep. Keep all of your bushings the same and everything will wear evenly. Tim

Get something with JJs on both ends. For a respected company, the Clayton kit looks like something from 15 years ago.

They use Johnny Joints, don’t they? If so, that’s a plus. Are they double adjustable arms? What do they use for springs? What are the free lengths of the springs compared to Currie?

Clayton 4" front 165lbs 21.13"
Clayton 4" rear 225lbs 15.50"

Nothing remarkable

Reactions: Chris
Clayton 4" front 165lbs 21.13"
Clayton 4" rear 225lbs 15.50"

Nothing remarkable

Yep, doesn't seem like anything remarkable, I agree.

Given the choice, I'd still go with the Currie spring and build around that. I think there's a reason the Currie springs are so popular.

I need to find the lengths of all these springs and make a sticky thread on it. I feel that could be useful.

"If it isn't Savvy or Currie it is garbage"

Clayton has made good stuff for years and years. There is nothing wrong with their lift kit if you want to get it. I remember looking at getting a Clayton lift 6 years ago saw a lot of good reviews. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to go ahead with the Clayton lift.

Reactions: ToddK

Clayton has made good stuff for years and years. There is nothing wrong with their lift kit if you want to get it. I remember looking at getting a Clayton lift 6 years ago saw a lot of good reviews. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to go ahead with the Clayton lift.

I don’t think that is what is being said. Now if the Clayton kit was half the cost of the Currie or Savvy, you have a point. But for the same money for inferior parts....they have a point.

I've been reading and hearing how great Clayton is for years. What's so great about them?

Better joints, double adjustable arms, antirock instead of disconnects, better springs....

Why do the springs matter when you aren't moving shock mounts? Why are the joints better? I had my JJ's fail fairly quickly. Are double adjustable arms really that necessary? While a nice convenience, I haven't found my upper arms to need adjustment all that often.

The antirock is certainly one advantage for the Currie kit.