Planning to run 33's, looking for advice

BShephard

Hey guys,
Just upgraded from a CJ to an 06 LJR. It's due for a new set of tires. I would like to bump up to a 33 inch, I'm thinking 285/75/r16.
After some reading I'm leaning towards getting the Zone 4.25 combo kit.

This will be my first lifted Jeep and I have a few questions:

-Do I need any other supporting mods with that lift kit?

-Will the springs be stiff enough if I load the Jeep heavy? Could I use spring spacers to stiffen the ride? Or maybe look at the OME HD kit.

-Will I need wheel spacers with a 285 on a stock rim?

-Any other advice is welcome

By the way, cool forum.

Here is a picture of the new Jeep:
16098.jpeg

Welcome, and nice find! The Zone lift is a good entry level lift giving you the height you need for 33's. A few things you want to achieve,
1. Try to maintain the factory 4" of up travel of your suspension. If you can get more up that's better. Having more up travel increases your chances of better road manners and comfort.
2. Pull the springs and set axle to full bump. You'll want to do this with your new 33's installed. Cycle the suspension and turn wheels lock to lock and find out where you run out of real estate. Add bump stop extensions accordingly. The less added bump stop you need, the more up travel you can achieve.
3. That wheel/tire combo will likely need spacers as the front wheels may rub the lower control arms and sway bar at full lock. 3.75" - 4.25" back spacing is preferred. I believe your stockers are 5.5" BS.

The OME kit is a quality lift. The 2.5" spring combo along with a 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift will net you close to what the Zone kit gives you and the MML will help with drive line angles to prevent vibes. Since you have an LJ, you have a longer rear drive shaft, so that will help. The nice thing with the OME springs is you can tailor the spring combo with your projected weight additions you foresee adding.

Welcome, and nice find! The Zone lift is a good entry level lift giving you the height you need for 33's. A few things you want to achieve,
1. Try to maintain the factory 4" of up travel of your suspension. If you can get more up that's better. Having more up travel increases your chances of better road manners and comfort.
2. Pull the springs and set axle to full bump. You'll want to do this with your new 33's installed. Cycle the suspension and turn wheels lock to lock and find out where you run out of real estate. Add bump stop extensions accordingly. The less added bump stop you need, the more up travel you can achieve.
3. That wheel/tire combo will likely need spacers as the front wheels may rub the lower control arms and sway bar at full lock. 3.75" - 4.25" back spacing is preferred. I believe your stockers are 5.5" BS.

The OME kit is a quality lift. The 2.5" spring combo along with a 1.25" body lift and 1" motor mount lift will net you close to what the Zone kit gives you and the MML will help with drive line angles to prevent vibes. Since you have an LJ, you have a longer rear drive shaft, so that will help. The nice thing with the OME springs is you can tailor the spring combo with your projected weight additions you foresee adding.

Cool, thanks!

Who do you guys like for vendors?

Cool, thanks!

Who do you guys like for vendors?

Amazon for a lot of stuff. DPG Offroad or Allens Offroad. Savvy and Currie are top notch as well as Black Magic Brakes. Both have contributed advise on this site. Amazon purchases also helps the forum. I usually steer clear from Quadratech, Extreme Terrain and 4WP, unless I can't find it anywhere else. Their prices usually aren't that great. If you are Amazon Prime it's tough to beat their service and easy return policies.
Piecing the lift together can often save some coin. Folks here can help with part #'s and such usually.

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
Amazon for a lot of stuff. DPG Offroad or Allens Offroad. Savvy and Currie are top notch as well as Black Magic Brakes. Both have contributed advise on this site. Amazon purchases also helps the forum. I usually steer clear from Quadratech, Extreme Terrain and 4WP, unless I can't find it anywhere else. Their prices usually aren't that great. If you are Amazon Prime it's tough to beat their service and easy return policies.
Piecing the lift together can often save some coin. Folks here can help with part #'s and such usually.

X2 on piecing together that’s how I have done mine on Amazon

Nice, seems like a smart way to do it.
Like Bob says, you can pick the springs and shocks you want.
Did you end up saving over a kit?

Verses going to a off-road shop and buying it yes watched for deals on certain items I also installed everything myself and bought my parts a little at a time until I had everything. Only advise I would have is make sure you have a plan of attack for your mods/build and know what you would like to end up with in the end and what you expect from your rig. You don’t want to buy parts twice or three times. Just saying that I would know about that 😂

Hey guys,
Just upgraded from a CJ to an 06 LJR. It's due for a new set of tires. I would like to bump up to a 33 inch, I'm thinking 285/75/r16.
After some reading I'm leaning towards getting the Zone 4.25 combo kit.

This will be my first lifted Jeep and I have a few questions:

-Do I need any other supporting mods with that lift kit?

-Will the springs be stiff enough if I load the Jeep heavy? Could I use spring spacers to stiffen the ride? Or maybe look at the OME HD kit.

-Will I need wheel spacers with a 285 on a stock rim?

-Any other advice is welcome

By the way, cool forum.

Here is a picture of the new Jeep:
View attachment 110035
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/

Only advise I would have is make sure you have a plan of attack for your mods/build and know what you would like to end up with in the end and what you expect from your rig. You don’t want to buy parts twice or three times.

Ditto on this. I ended up hating the shit out of my Bestop bumper-mounted swing out tire carrier. The thing rattled no matter what I did. I took it off and installed an OR-Fab in its place.

It was a somewhat expensive change in preference.

Got the lift and tires installed. Took it out yesterday. Really happy how it turned out.
Here are some pictures I took:
33's with no lift. Rubbed bad lol.
KIMG0666.JPG

With the lift.
KIMG0668.JPG

KIMG0670.JPG

Testing out off-road.
KIMG0671.JPG

KIMG0672.JPG

Anyways, I appreciate the advice.
What else do I need?

Reactions: rasband