Please help me solve the oscillating vibration crisis by providing some basic info on your Jeep

After realizing how much more i prefer Jeep on 31s in comparison to 33s, i actually ordered 4.10 spicer gear kits.
Then supply shortage hit, one rescheduled delay after another till Summit gave up on trying to predict delivery date, and dropped my order.

@freedom_in_4low

Has anyone gotten frustrated enough to return to OEM gear ratio (4.10 in my case)? As much as I like the 5.13s.

My rig feels like it's riding on rails with the front hubs unlocked. I had the hubs installed when the regear to 5.38s was done.

I get slight vibes if I forget to unlock the hubs. Those vibes remind me to unlock my hubs if I fail to do so after leaving the trail.

Assuming parts availability and prices stay relatively constant, I would never return to 4.10 gears over installing the free-spin hub kit.

My rig feels like it's riding on rails with the front hubs unlocked. I had the hubs installed when the regear to 5.38s was done.

I get slight vibes if I forget to unlock the hubs. Those vibes remind me to unlock my hubs if I fail to do so after leaving the trail.

Yukon -07/4.5 kit ordered. Probably chicken out and have my gear guy do the install when he checks driveshaft balance.

Reactions: MikeE024
Yukon -07/4.5 kit ordered. Probably chicken out and have my gear guy do the install when he checks driveshaft balance.

Makes sense. I would have been changing mine outside in the desert and would have needed to have different wheels with extra tires mounted to do mine (amongst other things).

However, my installer dismissed my directions to follow the torque specs for the inner/outer bearings that I provided to him using the installation guide. That choice led me to the driver's side having a loose bearing that pulled left when braking. Confirmed by a 12 and 6 o'clock tire-tug test. The installer then tightened them too tight after dismissing my recommendations, which was pretty annoying...Blaine confirmed they were too tight.

Per Blaine's advice, I have since purchased the snap-on socket tool for servicing the bearings (listed in Yukon's instructions), so I'll be able to service the parts myself. I got the tool used on Ebay for about half the price of retail.

TLDR: Make sure your installer torques the bearings to specification.

@freedom_in_4low

Has anyone gotten frustrated enough to return to OEM gear ratio (4.10 in my case)? As much as I like the 5.13s.

no one that I've seen here. I think hubs are almost always less expensive than a regear. That being said, if I for some reason decided to get rid of my LJ and start over with a new build, I'd probably take driveshaft speed into consideration as part of a more holistic build plan.

However, my installer dismissed my directions to follow the torque specs for the inner/outer bearings that I provided to him using the installation guide. That choice led me to the driver's side having a loose bearing that pulled left when braking. Confirmed by a 12 and 6 o'clock tire-tug test. The installer then tightened them too tight after dismissing my recommendations, which was pretty annoying...Blaine confirmed they were too tight.

stuff like that is why I just can't bring myself to let other people work on my stuff. They always think they know better. And to be fair, they SHOULD. They just don't. "Other people" have a 50% fail rate at working on my Jeeps. I'm not interested in making that gamble any more than absolutely necessary.

no one that I've seen here. I think hubs are almost always less expensive than a regear. That being said, if I for some reason decided to get rid of my LJ and start over with a new build, I'd probably take driveshaft speed into consideration as part of a more holistic build plan.
I would do the same but no more projects in my future.

Sitting at my gear shop now. He thinks he can find and fix the cause. I'll give him a shot, then, even if he can fix it, i might go with hubs also.. I really like hubs
stuff like that is why I just can't bring myself to let other people work on my stuff. They always think they know better. And to be fair, they SHOULD. They just don't. "Other people" have a 50% fail rate at working on my Jeeps. I'm not interested in making that gamble any more than absolutely necessary.
Ordinarily I feel the same. This guy seems topnotch.

Yea man, the fail rate was much worse for me. I like to do things myself, but life situations prevented me from doing certain things.

Another example, I had a shop replace my freeze plugs after one failed on me. After a week's delay, they came clean saying they couldn't get the engine mounted (due to my MML).

I called bullshit and loaded up my car with tools, tied my dog to their lift post, and installed my engine at their shop with the help of a worker's son (skipping classes to do so which I really couldn't afford to do). Those folks also had my A/C parts laying in a puddle of water along with my brand new Banks intake (PO had something worse installed). I really didn't say much at all because I was focused on getting my rig the fuck out of there asap.

Right on queue, about a week later my A/C compressor seized while I was out in the rocks on a 117* day (my Jeep said it was 142* plus out). The belt smoked but lasted the trip, thankfully. Luckily, I had tons of water and ran the rig without AC. My dog was just a pup back then and was not doing well in the heat. I replaced the A/C system minus one line and the evaporator. Been good since I pulled vacuum and charged it up. I didn't bother complaining to the shop because I didn't want to waste my time.

Thus far, Blaine is the only person I've let touch the jeep that didn't fuck it up. He cares about doing things the right way and has the skill set to match his efforts. He's basically a fucking unicorn.

Last edited:
curious about something for the respondents with 241 transfer case,
@Longwhitejeep
@Steel City 06
@Mike_H
@joelachr
@Dr. Internet
@oldjeepman
@NOTNSUV
@TheBoogieman
@L J
@jjvw
@psrivats
@1515art
@sab

Is the factory dampener on the 241 removable? and is yours removed or do you still have it?

1667333244093.png

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Sitting at my gear shop now. He thinks he can find and fix the cause. I'll give him a shot, then, even if he can fix it, i might go with hubs also.. I really like hubs

My guess is the mechanic hasn’t read the countless forum posts that parallel your vibe situation after a regear.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
My guess is the mechanic hasn’t read the countless forum posts that parallel your vibe situation after a regear.
True. I made him aware of the extent some have gone to try for a solution. He didn't scoff about "forums" but is confident w/o a guarantee or boasting. I don't mind him exercising his experience in the attempt.

True. I made him aware of the extent some have gone to try for a solution. He didn't scoff about "forums" but is confident w/o a guarantee or boasting. I don't mind him exercising his experience in the attempt.

Godspeed Jeep friend (I foresee hubs in your future) :D

Reactions: NOTNSUV
curious about something for the respondents with 241 transfer case,
@Longwhitejeep
@Steel City 06
@Mike_H
@joelachr
@Dr. Internet
@oldjeepman
@NOTNSUV
@TheBoogieman
@L J
@jjvw
@psrivats
@1515art
@sab

Is the factory dampener on the 241 removable? and is yours removed or do you still have it?

View attachment 372417

I am currently running a 1310 yoke with a conversion u joint at the case end since my used case didn't have the damper. This thread and a few others led me down the path to source a damper before they were even harder to find than they are now. I have a used damper on the bench I sourced from ebay. I am currently running the stock lj Rubicon driveshaft for now.

#kidstealallmyjeepmoney

Reactions: freedom_in_4low