Portal axle thoughts?

because JK C's are just as crappy as the TJ 's are. and 2k to fix the mistake is cheaper than 8-10k to swap the axle again.
Who here is talking about TJ or JK knuckles?

And I don't know where you're buying a JK axle for 8-10k, they're cheaper if you build them yourself

Who here is talking about TJ or JK knuckles?

And I don't know where you're buying a JK axle for 8-10k, they're cheaper if you build them yourself
i apologize, i took something out of context that was not even interpreted correctly. i went back and read, my mistake.

i did build my own and wish i'da changed the ends of that front axle.

Reactions: B00mb00m
i apologize, i took something out of context that was not even interpreted correctly. i went back and read, my mistake.

i did build my own and wish i'da changed the ends of that front axle.
Gotcha, no worries. Not too many other factory options other than some form of 60 outers. I'd like to get my hands on a JL front with the 1410 steering joints, but best I've found is $3k for a bent axle...

Gotcha, no worries. Not too many other factory options other than some form of 60 outers. I'd like to get my hands on a JL front with the 1410 steering joints, but best I've found is $3k for a bent axle...
already seen Gladi axles for sale around here, they don't wait for the ink on the title to even dry. seen a few JL's but in the 5-6K range. for a pair.

ya 60 ends would have been the way. now it'd be a waste of $ to try and rework it, thats where the 8-10 comes in to replace it with a proper 60.

Remember this is a wrangler forum, if this were pirate or irate I wouldn't say what I said, but how many build threads on here have you seen with guys throwing $2k+ at inner and out knuckles
Good point.
I'd be interested to see what that does to your kingpin axis inclination angle if anything.
The original kingpin Dana 60 has a KPI angle of 9°. The 2005+ Superduty has a KPI of 12.5°. The Super kingpin has 10°.

Reactions: Armyranger21
already seen Gladi axles for sale around here, they don't wait for the ink on the title to even dry. seen a few JL's but in the 5-6K range. for a pair.

ya 60 ends would have been the way. now it'd be a waste of $ to try and rework it, thats where the 8-10 comes in to replace it with a proper 60.
Yeah, 8-10 still seems spendy for one axle too me, but probably not unreasonable with steering, driveshafts and other small stuff.

Could always do a hp44/60 hybrid if it fits your build, late 70's ford hp44 housings are pretty cheap and available. With fairly basic machine tools it's not hard to retube a housing or sleeve it and make an adapter for 60 knuckles.

Who’d you buy yours from?
I found that Currie acted like I wasn't worth their time giving quotes to and whenever I did get an updated quote back it had some issue that took days to hear back from them again.

I ended up working with Ricky at 4LowParts who helped me get exactly what I wanted.

If you don't need anything custom, rwkhaussupply.com might be able to quote you a better price but I wouldn't expect any after sales support.

I found that Currie acted like I wasn't worth their time giving quotes to and whenever I did get an updated quote back it had some issue that took days to hear back from them again.

I ended up working with Ricky at 4LowParts who helped me get exactly what I wanted.

If you don't need anything custom, rwkhaussupply.com might be able to quote you a better price but I wouldn't expect any after sales support.
I bought my last axles from RWK haus he’s unable to get me what I want now.

I didn’t realize Ricky could source them, I’ll have to hit him up cause I can’t get the vendor I’m talking with to understand what I want.

I bought my last axles from RWK haus he’s unable to get me what I want now.

I didn’t realize Ricky could source them, I’ll have to hit him up cause I can’t get the vendor I’m talking with to understand what I want.

What do you want?

Here's a Currie 5x5.5 F450 UB. That lip on the base is notched out to fit the studs in.

IMG_20180329_140457.jpg

Reactions: Apparition
Yeah, 8-10 still seems spendy for one axle too me, but probably not unreasonable with steering, driveshafts and other small stuff.

Could always do a hp44/60 hybrid if it fits your build, late 70's ford hp44 housings are pretty cheap and available. With fairly basic machine tools it's not hard to retube a housing or sleeve it and make an adapter for 60 knuckles.

When I built my HP44 back in 2005 if I'd gotten Dana 60 "C"s and outer knuckles plus all the other parts I was close to the same price as a Dana 60 build. And that was with my doing most of the work myself. Reid use to offer their inner "C" for a 2.75" tube so it would have worked on the tubes I have. If you find a HP44 from some of the F250;s some of them had 3" axle tubes.
But my main point is that it wasn't really any cheaper than building a JY Dana 60. Back then one of the most expensive items was the hubs machines to accept a 5X5.5 BP.

We've discussed it a few times on here already doing a hybrid HP44/60.

Reactions: Armyranger21
When I built my HP44 back in 2005 if I'd gotten Dana 60 "C"s and outer knuckles plus all the other parts I was close to the same price as a Dana 60 build. And that was with my doing most of the work myself. Reid use to offer their inner "C" for a 2.75" tube so it would have worked on the tubes I have. If you find a HP44 from some of the F250;s some of them had 3" axle tubes.
But my main point is that it wasn't really any cheaper than building a JY Dana 60. Back then one of the most expensive items was the hubs machines to accept a 5X5.5 BP.

We've discussed it a few times on here already doing a hybrid HP44/60.
Yeah I'm aware it's just as much if not more work than a 60 and not any more cost effective. But, for those that don't need the R&P strength of a 60, but would like the stronger ball joints and unit bearing and don't want to deal with stuffing a whole 60 center up in the front of a TJ I think it is a viable option, which is why I said if it fits your build.

I'm planning on a variation of one myself because I won't be going bigger than 35's, but see an LS swap in my future and I like go fast wheeling in the whoops and jumps a lot, so uptravel clearance and strong outers become important for me

they say mistakes cause learning and learning has a curve.
what i know now is, failure to research takes the learning curve line full circle and shoves it right up your ass.

Reactions: reddvltj