Portal axle thoughts?

Bump steering is cause by improper length or angle of your suspension and steering linkages.

You can run portal axles without a suspension lift and maintain all stock angles, something impossible if you lift your car without changing several components so I donā€™t know what I am missing here?
so what is the false claim I am stating?
Bump steer is caused when suspension travels are not the same as the drag link. On a Tj these are maintained via a track bar. This relationship is maintained regardless of reasonable lift height. You made claims here of that being corrected via portals. You also made claims of your locker being stronger. We love new products here. Would love to know more about how/why your lockers is better?

Reactions: Rick Flair
Sorry but you need to check what influence the scrub ratius
17x8 is not the same as 17x10
33ā€ tire is not the same has 40ā€ tire.
If you don't understand by my questions that I actually do know what influences scrub radius, then you need to have someone answer questions who does. You are correct, 17 x 8 is not the same as 17 x 10 but neither of those two is relevant without knowing the back spacing. If you meant to say that you can't get the same scrub radius with a 17 x 10 that you can with a 17 x 8 and both having the same back spacing, the you would be correct. However, again, that has nothing to do with the back spacing one would need to achieve a tolerable scrub radius with the portal axles from your company. Our speculation is that it would take about 10-12" of back spacing and personally I don't think you can get there with a 17" rim there is stuff at the top side that the rim would run into first.

33 is not the same as 40, really? I would have never figured that out until you told me, shows you what a dumbass I am.
we help our clients per their specs like all other companies.
What about potential clients? Do you answer questions with any level of accuracy before commit to buy so they know what they are up against?
bump Steer with a Portal axle, less lift less bump steer, simple has that. You are getting a 4ā€ lift off a axle without any suspension modifications.
No, not as simple as that. I build custom steering all the time without bump steer so I know exactly what causes it and trust me, it isn't lift height. If a rig has bump steer in stock form, installing the portals will not change that.

Please if someone has real questions you can send us a email or call us and we will help you. Thanks
Dude. You've been asked several questions that you've only responded to with marketing fluff. The entire scrub radius discussion is WAY over my head - but its obvious even to me that you're avoiding direct questions about your product. Mr. Blaine asked you a very simple question that even I can understand - and you have yet to answer it. If you don't know the answers get somebody from your organization to answer them. Its real simple.

We may come across as a bit harsh, that is not the intent. One thing I love about this forum it is fact driven and honest. It doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s you, me, or Mr Blaine, if false claims are made we will be called out. Marketing ploys donā€™t do well here. If there is a stronger selectable locker out there the US market will find it. There is a market for portals, but questions about design need to be addressed.
How many sets have you sold in the US? Get some on the rigs racing the Hammers next year and show the consumer they are worthy.

Reactions: jjvw and Alex01
I'm not here to defend the company or product, but for those not paying attention the question was answered in post #29. The portals add 2" and therefore an extra 2" BS is required over a non-portal axle to maintain the same scrub radius. It's not rocket science. They should also be compared to other 1-ton options out there and not the stock axle. My Currie front with F450 outers and 4" BS wheels are nowhere close to "ideal scrub radius". That would probably require 70" WMS or more and a lot of BS. As with all worthwhile modifications there usually are trade-offs. These axles like every other product have a target customer and, I'm probably not going out on a limb here, a DD on 35's ain't it. There's no reason to attack a product with such a ridiculous argument just because it doesn't suit your needs.

99.99% on this forum will never spend $20,000 on axles for our jeeps, but we should all be encouraging more choice and more players in the market, even if these are not for you. More competition is a win for consumers and breeds innovation. I don't know much about these axles or portals in general, but I wish this company massive success. All companies are new (or new to market) at one time. One thing I'm certain of, if their portals sell well enough other axle companies will notice and come out with a competing product. Perhaps even improving on the design. Who knows, maybe someday a company will come out with a great Dana 44 portal or some type of conversion kit. More choice and competition is never a bad thing.

I'm not here to defend the company or product, but for those not paying attention the question was answered in post #29. The portals add 2" and therefore an extra 2" BS is required over a non-portal axle to maintain the same scrub radius. It's not rocket science. They should also be compared to other 1-ton options out there and not the stock axle. My Currie front with F450 outers and 4" BS wheels are nowhere close to "ideal scrub radius". That would probably require 70" WMS or more and a lot of BS. As with all worthwhile modifications there usually are trade-offs. These axles like every other product have a target customer and, I'm probably not going out on a limb here, a DD on 35's ain't it. There's no reason to attack a product with such a ridiculous argument just because it doesn't suit your needs.
I'm not sure you understand scrub radius.
99.99% on this forum will never spend $20,000 on axles for our jeeps, but we should all be encouraging more choice and more players in the market, even if these are not for you. More competition is a win for consumers and breeds innovation. I don't know much about these axles or portals in general, but I wish this company massive success. All companies are new (or new to market) at one time. One thing I'm certain of, if their portals sell well enough other axle companies will notice and come out with a competing product. Perhaps even improving on the design. Who knows, maybe someday a company will come out with a great Dana 44 portal or some type of conversion kit. More choice and competition is never a bad thing.
I install 20,000 dollar sets of axles with a reasonable frequency. If I can't get the info I need to inform someone considering them of the drawbacks or lack thereof, that is clearly an oversight on someone's part.

Reactions: Apparition
How does WMS affect your scrub radius
One could extrapolate that given a large enough diameter tire that the axle would need to be wider to accommodate interference issues with suspension and frame given a reasonable amount of back spacing to achieve a tolerable scrub radius. That isn't what he said though.

I'm not sure you understand scrub radius.

I install 20,000 dollar sets of axles with a reasonable frequency. If I can't get the info I need to inform someone considering them of the drawbacks or lack thereof, that is clearly an oversight on someone's part.
Yes, I'm going to be a 0.01%'er once I get this axle shit figured out.

Reactions: reddvltj
One could extrapolate that given a large enough diameter tire that the axle would need to be wider to accommodate interference issues with suspension and frame given a reasonable amount of back spacing to achieve a tolerable scrub radius. That isn't what he said though.
Yeah I guess so, I wasn't picturing the whole setup, just the axle.

Sounds like he'd be money and time ahead to just swap to one of these portals so he can run stock suspension with zero problems or bump steer. I mean, he's already got F450 outers, so he's probably part of the .01%, unlike everyone else with just 250 or 350 outers...

Yeah I guess so, I wasn't picturing the whole setup, just the axle.

Sounds like he'd be money and time ahead to just swap to one of these portals so he can run stock suspension with zero problems or bump steer. I mean, he's already got F450 outers, so he's probably part of the .01%, unlike everyone else with just 250 or 350 outers...
I asked a bunch of people what the difference was, i was told the caliper ears are bigger on the F450 knuckle.

I asked a bunch of people what the difference was, i was told the caliper ears are bigger on the F450 knuckle.
Yeah, they're spaced further away from centerline for the larger rotor, and I'm fairly certain that is the only difference on the 99-04 stuff.

05+ is a different beast, there are substantial differences, but not many people run the 450/550 05+ stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou and B00mb00m