Portal axle thoughts?

We are the number 1 axle supplier in Latin America, not only in the Automotive segment but Agriculture. This year we decided to enter the USA market because of our manufacturing facility expansion and our axles being more than proven in the Latin American market.
Being new doesn't mean bad
No being new is not bad. Portal axle design is intriguing due to the increase in clearance. There are guys breaking Dana 60 ball joints on a conventional axle set up, moving everything out further may compound the stress on those ball joints. Folks are going to have a lot of questions before dropping that kind of money. Your claims on the strongest locker are very aggressive as well. It will take time to prove those things. Do you have a dealer in the US?

No, remember the Portal size and it will be tucked inside the wheel.
Scrub radius has nothing to do with the portal inside the rim. The scrub radius is dictated by a line drawn through the upper and lower ball joints that extends to the ground under the tire. The relationship of the tire's contact patch to that point of intersection determines the scrub radius. Just visually since I don't have a clear well lit picture, it does appear that the intersection point on the ground is just barely inside the inner edge of the contact patch. If that is accurate, the tire does not pivot around the contact patch but instead has to roll when the knuckles turn. Is that accurate?

Portal Axles
No being new is not bad. Portal axle design is intriguing due to the increase in clearance. There are guys breaking Dana 60 ball joints on a conventional axle set up, moving everything out further may compound the stress on those ball joints. Folks are going to have a lot of questions before dropping that kind of money. Your claims on the strongest locker are very aggressive as well. It will take time to prove those things. Do you have a dealer in the US?

That will be different if you are using a prepared axle or a conventional axle. We have a team of 5 engineers that work very hard to get us were we are at.
We are located in Orlando and shipping all around USA.
Its not claims, I believe that on our Instagram you can check some pictures comparing with other lockers. If you would be building a new product to compete with another it must be improved right? or it doesn't makes sense even entering the market.

Portal Axles

That will be different if you are using a prepared axle or a conventional axle. We have a team of 5 engineers that work very hard to get us were we are at.
We are located in Orlando and shipping all around USA.
Its not claims, I believe that on our Instagram you can check some pictures comparing with other lockers. If you would be building a new product to compete with another it must be improved right? or it doesn't makes sense even entering the market.
Great, maybe share those comparisons? What axles do you have lockers available for?

Scrub radius has nothing to do with the portal inside the rim. The scrub radius is dictated by a line drawn through the upper and lower ball joints that extends to the ground under the tire. The relationship of the tire's contact patch to that point of intersection determines the scrub radius. Just visually since I don't have a clear well lit picture, it does appear that the intersection point on the ground is just barely inside the inner edge of the contact patch. If that is accurate, the tire does not pivot around the contact patch but instead has to roll when the knuckles turn. Is that accurate?
The scrub radius will be always different depending on the specs of the wheels that you are going to use. But with with good backspacing that is solved.
Our Portal axles are used daily without any problems. But Portal axles are not for everyone, that is why we offer our Ultra 70 axles.

Great, maybe share those comparisons? What axles do you have lockers available for?
We have lockers for 44, 60/70, 80 and some international models. I believe that time will be the best to show the quality of our axles. Being a true axle manufactory that makes everything in house we can guarantee quality vs other companies that outsource parts. This also makes us with a more competitive pricing on the market.

The scrub radius will be always different depending on the specs of the wheels that you are going to use. But with with good backspacing that is solved.
Our Portal axles are used daily without any problems. But Portal axles are not for everyone, that is why we offer our Ultra 70 axles.
We fully understand that. I am addressing you saying that a 12" offset rim was not necessary to achieve a good scrub radius. I have pointed out why that speculation was proffered and asked for clarification as to how to avoid that since there are very finite parameters that dictate a tolerable scrub radius. We well know that the specs of a wheel change the scrub radius but that isn't the question.

The question is how much back spacing is needed on a 17" rim to achieve anything close to a reasonable scrub radius where the tire does NOT have to roll when the knuckles turn? What do you consider good back spacing since the two examples you have posted so far do not have that?

Reactions: Zorba
The example that I gave you was merely that, an example.

The more backspacing better. Any brand recommends 4+ but nobody will tell you an exact number because everything influences the scrub radius.
There is stock cars that you buy from the lot with -, 0, + scrub radius.

Scrub ratius is an issue on any Portal setup around the world, Axletech, Unimog, Marks4wd... but its not a deal breaker if so there would not be any company doing them.

Portal axles gives you more advantages than a regular axle in driveline angles, less lift to fit bigger tires, less driveline vibrations, increase driveline strength, reduces bump steer comparing to suspension lifts, ground clearance.

The example that I gave you was merely that, an example.
You used the example to refute the suggestion that about 12" of back spacing was needed to get back to something resembling a tolerable scrub radius. If the example doesn't do that, don't use it.
The more backspacing better. Any brand recommends 4+ but nobody will tell you an exact number because everything influences the scrub radius.
Everything does NOT influence the scrub radius. The only thing that influences scrub radius is the extended king pin axis and that relationship to the contact patch of the tire. If you want it ideal, it should intersect around the middle of the contact patch. We are just trying to find the amount of back spacing that you would need with your 17" rim example to achieve something close to ideal to see if our supposition and postulations are accurate.
There is stock cars that you buy from the lot with -, 0, + scrub radius.
I don't know what that has to do with anything. To date, outside of the Unimog, a few Volvos, some offroad forklifts, and a purpose built Ford, we don't have access to stock cars with Portals.

We are not discussing stock cars, we are discussing a very specific aspect of wanting to run YOUR portal axles and what may be needed to achieve anything resembling a tolerable scrub radius.
Scrub ratius is an issue on any Portal setup around the world, Axletech, Unimog, Marks4wd... but its not a deal breaker if so there would not be any company doing them.
Existence does not imply good or tolerable. We fully realize that scrub radius is an issue which is why we are discussing it. The speculation based on observation was that somewhere around 12" of back spacing would be needed if one were to try and achieve a tolerable scrub radius, you said no, that wasn't true and then gave two examples of 4" backspaced rim that when viewed in the shadowy environ of your pictures don't even appear to push the inner edge of the rim past the lower ball joint. That is not a good scrub radius in anyone's book.
Portal axles gives you more advantages than a regular axle in driveline angles, less lift to fit bigger tires, less driveline vibrations, increase driveline strength, reduces bump steer comparing to suspension lifts, ground clearance.
I'll agree to some of those, others not so much. Bump steer is a function of how the steering is set up and the relationship between the track bar and the draglink with conventional steering and the suspension on full hydro. The existence of a portal equipped axle underneath a rig has nothing to do with that.

Basically in a nutshell, you don't actually know how much back spacing x a particular rim diameter would be needed to achieve tolerable scrub radius, you are just repeating the bullet points in the sales brochure. I'm actually okay with that, just don't try to snow us and we're golden.

You used the example to refute the suggestion that about 12" of back spacing was needed to get back to something resembling a tolerable scrub radius. If the example doesn't do that, don't use it.

Everything does NOT influence the scrub radius. The only thing that influences scrub radius is the extended king pin axis and that relationship to the contact patch of the tire. If you want it ideal, it should intersect around the middle of the contact patch. We are just trying to find the amount of back spacing that you would need with your 17" rim example to achieve something close to ideal to see if our supposition and postulations are accurate.

I don't know what that has to do with anything. To date, outside of the Unimog, a few Volvos, some offroad forklifts, and a purpose built Ford, we don't have access to stock cars with Portals.

We are not discussing stock cars, we are discussing a very specific aspect of wanting to run YOUR portal axles and what may be needed to achieve anything resembling a tolerable scrub radius.

Existence does not imply good or tolerable. We fully realize that scrub radius is an issue which is why we are discussing it. The speculation based on observation was that somewhere around 12" of back spacing would be needed if one were to try and achieve a tolerable scrub radius, you said no, that wasn't true and then gave two examples of 4" backspaced rim that when viewed in the shadowy environ of your pictures don't even appear to push the inner edge of the rim past the lower ball joint. That is not a good scrub radius in anyone's book.

I'll agree to some of those, others not so much. Bump steer is a function of how the steering is set up and the relationship between the track bar and the draglink with conventional steering and the suspension on full hydro. The existence of a portal equipped axle underneath a rig has nothing to do with that.

Basically in a nutshell, you don't actually know how much back spacing x a particular rim diameter would be needed to achieve tolerable scrub radius, you are just repeating the bullet points in the sales brochure. I'm actually okay with that, just don't try to snow us and we're golden.
this is basically the same response i got from them on IG trying to find out which parts of the 44/70 are Dana which are Dstrac proprietary. Just give us the actual specs if you want to sell these things. They need to get the engineers out answering questions instead they send videos of mudding in Brazil and "see its unbreakable." The price point is fantastic, they may actually be decent axles. I really like the 44/70 hybrid but its impossible to find out the real details. I finally saw the first US user on IG. With enough guinea pigs we may be able to learn some stuff.

Reactions: reddvltj
Price doesn’t seem bad on the axles.
I could be wrong but I do t think there are any spicer parts on the axles. At least that is what I am gathering from the web page.

Sorry but you need to check what influence the scrub ratius
17x8 is not the same as 17x10
33” tire is not the same has 40” tire.

we help our clients per their specs like all other companies.

bump Steer with a Portal axle, less lift less bump steer, simple has that. You are getting a 4” lift off a axle without any suspension modifications.

this is basically the same response i got from them on IG trying to find out which parts of the 44/70 are Dana which are Dstrac proprietary. Just give us the actual specs if you want to sell these things. They need to get the engineers out answering questions instead they send videos of mudding in Brazil and "see its unbreakable." The price point is fantastic, they may actually be decent axles. I really like the 44/70 hybrid but its impossible to find out the real details. I finally saw the first US user on IG. With enough guinea pigs we may be able to learn some stuff.
You can use aftermarket parts on our axles, locker and gears

Price doesn’t seem bad on the axles.
I could be wrong but I do t think there are any spicer parts on the axles. At least that is what I am gathering from the web page.
We make everything in house because we can, why would you buy something if you can build something better with your company? It dosent mean that you cannot use parts from other brands. You can use lockers gears from other brands

Sorry but you need to check what influence the scrub ratius
17x8 is not the same as 17x10
33” tire is not the same has 40” tire.

we help our clients per their specs like all other companies.

bump Steer with a Portal axle, less lift less bump steer, simple has that. You are getting a 4” lift off a axle without any suspension modifications.
You need to do more research on bump steer and what causes it. You may have a great product but making false claims will not get you very far in the off-road market here in the US. Do you have any axles on any professional level race rigs? Might be a good way to get your product info out there.

You need to do more research on bump steer and what causes it. You may have a great product but making false claims will not get you very far in the off-road market here in the US. Do you have any axles on any professional level race rigs? Might be a good way to get your product info out there.
Bump steering is cause by improper length or angle of your suspension and steering linkages.

You can run portal axles without a suspension lift and maintain all stock angles, something impossible if you lift your car without changing several components so I don’t know what I am missing here?
so what is the false claim I am stating?