Portal axle thoughts?

i think they are cool, and i'd like a crack at trying a build for them.

send me a set and i'll be more than happy to supply an unbiased opinion of their performance.

How does WMS affect your scrub radius
It doesn't, but if the scrub radius is determined by the relation between the ball joints and the contact patch then you need a large amount of positive offset on Currie axles to get the ball joint anywhere close to being inside the wheel (if that's ideal). If you are running that much offset then this is where axle width comes into play. You need more to compensate and keep the tires from hitting shit. My point was merely that these should be compared to other aftermarket Dana 60 axles. It would be very hard to duplicate the scrub radius of a stock jeep with stock wheels running any of them, unless they are close to full width.
I'm not sure you understand scrub radius.

I install 20,000 dollar sets of axles with a reasonable frequency. If I can't get the info I need to inform someone considering them of the drawbacks or lack thereof, that is clearly an oversight on someone's part.
My intention was not to defend the company or their business practices. I understand even a small percentage is a sizable number of people, given all the jeeps out there.
One could extrapolate that given a large enough diameter tire that the axle would need to be wider to accommodate interference issues with suspension and frame given a reasonable amount of back spacing to achieve a tolerable scrub radius. That isn't what he said though.
Maybe that's not what I said, but that is what I meant :confused:
Yeah I guess so, I wasn't picturing the whole setup, just the axle.

Sounds like he'd be money and time ahead to just swap to one of these portals so he can run stock suspension with zero problems or bump steer. I mean, he's already got F450 outers, so he's probably part of the .01%, unlike everyone else with just 250 or 350 outers...
I am because they come standard on Currie axles, but now you're just being silly....

Reactions: reddvltj
I am because they come standard on Currie axles, but now you're just being silly....
If one cares to be picky, Currie hasn't used an F-450 knuckle in a very long time. They do however, use their beefed up version that they "make" themselves. I don't disagree though.

If one cares to be picky, Currie hasn't used an F-450 knuckle in a very long time. They do however, use their beefed up version that they "make" themselves. I don't disagree though.
What does "make" mean? They contract out their design to a different shop to produce?

Portals are fun!

AA82B9DD-62DB-4EF2-A804-668E06B6774A.jpeg

A2BA905E-8665-401F-A4F9-AC30138AC4C7.jpeg

- Senor Roho on pirate

I know that but didn't think it was meaning full for the discussion. I thought they are just machined to accept the high steer arm, but could be wrong about that. Does that mean these won't fit? ;) :
https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.c...Kit-w-Master-17Rims-CURRIE-BBK-NEW-MASTER.htmKicking myself for not getting them when the price was lower. Still on my list though.

Reactions: josb612
I beg to differ. In the South it’s become common to run the super kingpin stuff and the magnum knuckles from Crane.
Remember this is a wrangler forum, if this were pirate or irate I wouldn't say what I said, but how many build threads on here have you seen with guys throwing $2k+ at inner and out knuckles because a stock 05+ knuckle setup wasn't enough for them besides your own?

Not to mention the super king pin setup doesn't use the BJ's obviously, I'd be interested to see what that does to your kingpin axis inclination angle if anything. And I can't even tell what the crane knuckles use besides a Rockwell spindle.

Reactions: OldGloryLJ
They have actually never fit but they can be made to.
So do the Currie knuckles use the
caliper mounts set up for the larger F450 rotor or do they use the F250/350 brake setup. Or am I talking out of my ass

Is that what I’m going to use?
Yes, we have to open up the center bore to fit the register on the unit bearings. I did a few sets, then discovered there was some consistency issues with the U/B's and now try to do them to fit or from an actual measurement. I've still got rotors that don't fit from that fiasco.

Reactions: Apparition
So do the Currie knuckles use the
caliper mounts set up for the larger F450 rotor or do they use the F250/350 brake setup. Or am I talking out of my ass
Don't know. All the stuff we do is adapted so the TJ booster can handle the work and once we can lock up 40's, do we actually give a shit?

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Yes, we have to open up the center bore to fit the register on the unit bearings. I did a few sets, then discovered there was some consistency issues with the U/B's and now try to do them to fit or from an actual measurement. I've still got rotors that don't fit from that fiasco.
Do you have a specific part number for that unit bearing. They still don’t have it right on the spec unless 8 x 6.5 will work, your site says 5 x 5.5.