Michigan Possible Drummond Island trip in the fall?

I booked a cottage for the 8th thru the 11th of October on Drummond. At this point, its looking like a light wheeling, more exploring the island trip. I'm sure we'll do marble head, but its going to be more about seeing all the cool things the island has to offer vs hardcore, pushing the man and machine to the limits.

So far, my wife and I will be in my jeep, another couple will be in a modestly built LJ (33's) and a third couple will be in a SxS. I have another buddy tentatively going with his XJ on 32's.

NO EFFING TANK TRAPS!!!
I'll be interested to hear how this goes. I'm looking at going up the following weekend. I've never been before so it would be great to hear the current conditions and must hit (and skip!) spots.

Skip the mud holes ;)
X2! Though, if you've never been, its kinda like rushing a fraternity. You gotta do it once...see the SE side of the island. Get STUCK, and live through the clean up. Then you can point and laugh, knowing what someone else is about to get into.

the "kinda crummy" thing about this time of year that I have noticed on Drummond is that it is now basically the off season and theres little traffic on the trails for people who wheel alone stupidly like myself.

I guess you could take that in two ways.
less traffic = more time to yourself to enjoy the trails peacefully.
or
less traffic = more time to yourself waiting for a tow if you drive into something stupid.

ive been out on the island twice around this time of year last year and I think I only seen 1 other person each time trail riding the entire 6/7 hours out in the woods.

the upside for the primary routes (yet still 2 track) to marble head and fossil ledges is that the bottom of the water crossings has always either been packed gravel or solid stone. its when you get off the main route off into the bowling ball size rock infested 2 tracks that you find the slimy stuff and the soft bottomed water crossings.

dont forget to get your badge of honor by checking in with your jeep badge of honor app.
tempImage3buJXp.jpg

Reactions: Apparition
debating on arriving on Drummond around 11/noon on saturday the 9th. no real commitment yet but considering pretty hard. id only be able to be around until about 5/6pm as its a 5 hour drive for me and Im not interested in sticking around the island overnight.

debating on arriving on Drummond around 11/noon on saturday the 9th. no real commitment yet but considering pretty hard. id only be able to be around until about 5/6pm as its a 5 hour drive for me and Im not interested in sticking around the island overnight.
We are staying on the island and will be getting there around 6 PM Friday night.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
weather on the island looks decent for the upcoming week. ive seen the trails when they were semi dry and was able to avoid the axle bashers, im hesitant to go if its got too much rain prior to arrival.

im all stock minus a 31" tire.

all up in the air of course.

We had a great day! Explored some new trails and had my first incident of trail breakage... My wheel adapter fell off... Don't understand why, as that thing has been on there and untouched for at least a year and 5000+ miles.. EDIT: after a night of sleep, I remembered when the last time the adapter was off...I tried it some 15" wheels with 35s before I bought 35s for my Pintlers. That was a couple months ago. Those wheels were the right pattern and backspacing, so I didn't need the adapters. When the Pintlers went back on, I was rushing. My own rule with the adapters is to check them after 100 miles or so. I forgot to do that, and paid the price.

I broke one stud, and a couple others had pushed out. Thankfully, I carry an extra adapter on the spare, so I was able to switch it out, slam the lugs nuts back on my my impact and pull the studs back into the axle. That got me off the trail and back to my cabin.

I've reached out to a guy on the island that has helped a buddy before. Hopefully he can get me some wheel studs tomorrow, so I can drive this thing home safely Monday.

IMG_20211009_185905790.jpg

received_884289272259343.jpeg
received_4818335514845161.jpeg

received_884289272259343.jpeg

Last edited:
We had a great day! Explored some new trails and had my first incident of trail breakage... My wheel adapter fell off... Don't understand why, as that thing has been on there and untouched for at least a year and 5000+ miles. I broke one stud, and a couple others had pushed out. Thankfully, I carry an extra adapter on the spare, so I was able to switch it out, slam the lugs nuts back on my my impact and pull the studs back into the axle. That got me off the trail and back to my cabin.

I've reached out to a guy on the island that has helped a buddy before. Hopefully he can get me some wheel studs tomorrow, so I can drive this thing home safely Monday.

View attachment 282427

View attachment 282428View attachment 282429

View attachment 282428

If that doesn't work out for you, I probably have the parts on hand and am just a days drive away.

Reactions: Mike_H
White TJ with Rubicon wheels? I remember. Super clean rig!

Lots of water, for sure.
yup, silver with canyon rims (similar to rubicon style). get alot of comments its white for sure, kinda changes with the sunlight.

looks like the trail damage is the exact reason I dont like the idea of adapters and spacers. good thing it didnt cut loose on the highway.

woke up later than expecting and had little motivation to get a move on this morning, its been a long week.
My trip was fairly uneventful (y) made it to and on the ferry at 11:40 just as it was about to lift the ramp to leave De Tour.

didnt get too many photos of the gnarly stuff as I was the driver and photographer. and didnt go off on the actual 2 track trails, been on those when it was dry and thats where the plentiful basketball size rocks reside. this time they would have been under water... no thanks.

about 9am around west branch, lots of fog the entire way up.
C46760AF-418B-4331-B87F-C9CA703A905A.jpeg

Crossing Mackinaw bridge northbound around 10:50am still foggy
8229F119-41B3-4D99-9F67-0F1858324591.jpeg

seasonal road (access road) to marble heads trail, colors were nice. fog had let up.
FA1AD33E-F1F4-45D0-9918-C1409D92A2B2.jpeg

trail to Marblehead's pretty uncomfortably bumpy. this was nothing compared to the section before the small ledge you eventually have to climb up.

made it to and parked at the ledges, watched a few guys drive down. im the vehicle parked bottom left of the picture. got a little foggy again.
3FDD37EC-DA2A-4EC9-9642-8D97E711390D.jpeg

got some piss poor drone video of some side by sides on the way to the ledges of marblehead. not good with video (yet). clouds were low.

left marblehead and returned back to the main road to fossil ledges. passed Mike around 2:30pm at the Y on the road leading to this trail (road)

Walked the shoreline at the fossil ledges, pocketed 3 small fossils.. they are like cigarette butts in a parking lot, small fossils are everywhere. waters way down too.
1E2AAFCC-94D6-4C73-BABA-FA5FE4CE188C.jpeg

didnt get too muddy at all, so many water puddle crossings everything rinsed off. ledges are also accessible by a Cadillac, said he didnt bottom out once.
53EC7F53-3974-461D-AEDE-C674184D8C7F.jpeg

left fossil ledges around 4pm, made it back to the ferry line around 4:45ish. loaded up and headed back to the mainland at 5:10pm

crossed the bridge southbound again around 6:15pm heading back home. and yes, it was a sudden unexpected rain and fog for the next hour again once over the bridge.
570C4C30-F24F-434C-9F8E-716A3AEFF6C3.jpeg

pretty good trip overall. should have turned around to follow Mike when I passed... but wasn't sure if it was him or not. island was pretty busy with machines and jeeps. talked to quite a few random people on the trails here and there and everyone was absolutely pleasant to talk with. side by side drivers were very well behaved, generally they have piss poor trail etiquette (from what I observe on the trails in the lower peninsula). watched a few jeeps/side by sides slam and hop down the ledges at marblehead. nearly everyone raises a hand to waive at you when on the main paved roads. its a great little island.

worst part of the trip id have to say though was spending 45 minutes in the drive through line at Taco Bell a quarter of the way home, just wanted to grab and go but evidently Taco Bell wanted you to sit and wait.

Last edited:
@Mike_H any luck on obtaining parts? looks like theres Napas everywhere in the area.. but Napa has bad weekend hours.

are the studs removable from the spare tire mounting bracket?
Heading to O'Reilly's in Slt Ste Marie. They have the studs I need. Waiting on the dumb ferry though... Sundays are tough