Power advice

I'm likely getting around 300hp and 350 lb-ft of torque @7 psi with Banks turbo (flywheel). If my kit was stolen today, I'd likely buy Jezza's turbo kit bc the extra power really makes a difference in drivability & enjoyment. This is my first boosted vehicle and I'm hooked.

I would love to see turbo(or supercharger) and stroker dyno charts on the same graph. I'm assuming the turbo does more for power than my stroker.

Every once in a while i think about removing my pistons and having the reliefs cut to a turbo friendly compression ratio. Yeehaw!

I would love to see turbo(or supercharger) and stroker dyno charts on the same graph. I'm assuming the turbo does more for power than my stroker.

I'd like to see that too just for the fun of it. I bet they are pretty close in power but may feel different based on the stroker's power being more linear.

With the 35's and wheels, the power plant doesn't feel anything like a modern sports car, but ramp runs and steep inclines are really fun now rather than a burden.

Every once in a while i think about removing my pistons and having the reliefs cut to a turbo friendly compression ratio. Yeehaw!

My gut doesn't trust the stroker/boost idea holding up for my needs and budget, otherwise I'd have that feeling often. :)

IIRC, Jezza said something to the affect that being around 300 hp with the turbo'd 4.0L was a good combo regarding power and reliability.

I'd like to see that too just for the fun of it. I bet they are pretty close in power but may feel different based on the stroker's power being more linear.

With the 35's and wheels, the power plant doesn't feel anything like a modern sports car, but ramp runs and steep inclines are really fun now rather than a burden.

My gut doesn't trust the stroker/boost idea holding up for my needs and budget, otherwise I'd have that feeling often. :)

IIRC, Jezza said something to the affect that being around 300 hp with the turbo'd 4.0L was a good combo regarding power and reliability.

If i have forged pistons and rods why not a lil boost?😉

• USA Proud
Reactions: JMT and MikeE024
I'm all for you making something awesome and doing what makes you happy. I just don't want to see it grenade on you.

download (2).jpeg

I'm about to start testing this very question. I bought a completely stock 1997 TJ with the 4.0 with the goal of testing some different mods from bolt-ons to tunes and all the way to cam and shaving the head. I'll probably start a thread soon as I gear up to start.

Installing the correct gears for your tire size will make the largest difference. The I6 4.0 is only 190 HP, so it's not a hot rod and will never be 'fast'. The only thing it does that is fast, is drink up all your gas.

Never fast, but certainly quick!

Edit: Joking aside... 5.13 for 33s? For a wheeler sure, but not a street truck...

Edit: Joking aside... 5.13 for 33s? For a wheeler sure, but not a street truck...

Why not? With his transmission he would be at about 2830rpm at 75mph pushing 33s. That still isn't enough rpm for the highway.

The Grimjeeper charts and folks' collective experience say otherwise.

5.13s at a minimum w/ 33s (with a 42RLE).