Power steering box options

I figured, I know you’re a busy guy and set all that up to show us on here. Thank you
I can't figure out where the disconnect is. The PSC gear is minorly different only due to the slightly larger bore which doesn't affect how the lines hook up and the assist ports which again are easily worked around. It is essentially the same as the early TJ and the early lines exist and they bolt right up to solve this problem.

I can't figure out where the disconnect is. The PSC gear is minorly different only due to the slightly larger bore which doesn't affect how the lines hook up and the assist ports which again are easily worked around. It is essentially the same as the early TJ and the early lines exist and they bolt right up to solve this problem.
The most difficult questions to answer are the ones where the answer is obvious. I know you see it a lot, so this is redundant, but sometimes it takes beating a dead horse to make it understand.

As promised.
I didn't read a "promise"--I read that if you had time you would take some pictures. It seems like you went well beyond what could be reasonably expected. Thank you.

I've got the PSC hydro assist kit on my front floor along with a new Currie Currectlync. Your contributions will help me immensely as well as the OP.

Tomorrow I start with the drag link and the tie rod.

I didn't read a "promise"--I read that if you had time you would take some pictures. It seems like you went well beyond what could be reasonably expected. Thank you.

I've got the PSC hydro assist kit on my front floor along with a new Currie Currectlync. Your contributions will help me immensely as well as the OP.

Tomorrow I start with the drag link and the tie rod.
It was a promise in my mind.

Hi friends.
I just read the entire thread (from 2017) and just realized it is still active as of last week, haha.

Anyway I've got a couple questions, about a box for my 2002 TJ, hopefully you can help.

I need to replace my Saginaw steering gear box. It's leaking from the top.

I have 32's and do not plan on going bigger. I drive about 75% on road, 15% beach and unfortunately only 10% Offroad.

I know to stay away from Cardone.
I will not be buying an $800 PSC box, lol.

I was thinking the Napa box - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PNB391053

Rock Auto has an AC Delco. They also have a BBB/Vision OE.

The Napa warranty document mentions BBB Industries, is the Napa box the same as the BBB/Vision OE from Rock Auto?

After various shipping/taxes/discounts, etc, they are all similarly priced - $150 or less after cores.

I don't mind spending some money to get it right. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

As promised. TJ steering gear for 03-06 from PSC. Stock 97-02 pressure and return lines installed.
View attachment 144275
View attachment 144277

A sincere thanks to Blaine for taking the time to do this. My new PSC box and '97 - '02 hoses are now installed on my LJ. The hose routing was made super simple thanks to the pictures he provided!

(y)

The most difficult questions to answer are the ones where the answer is obvious. I know you see it a lot, so this is redundant, but sometimes it takes beating a dead horse to make it understand.
Sometimes the obvious answer is one that would be very obvious with just a simple picture.
I've been trying to help a customer with an install. They are struggling and have been at it for 2 weeks.
The pitman is in a different spot and it moved the draglink way too close to the trackbar.
No, the pitman is in the same place since the two boxes, early and later one use the exact same pitman and steering in stock form.
It is moved.
No it isn't, you just never noticed it.
I've got to get done and we've been at it 2 weeks already at my buddy's shop and the lines don't fit.
Yes they do since they are the same lines that were used on a Saginaw gear in 97-02.
I don't have a body lift, they don't work.
Yes they do.

I get another call later on.
The pitman has to be in a different spot because it won't turn all the way to the right and I could before. Now it hits the swaybar link mount.

Light bulb finally turns on. Hey, ya'll ain't doing this with the rig on a lift and the axles hanging, are you?
Yes
Stop it already, you don't drive it that way, it never does that. Get the axles at ride height and it will be fine.

I should have figured it out sooner.

Again, one last time and I'm typing very slowly so it will sink in. The parts to install the PSC steering gear into the 03-06 TJ in stock form with no body lift exist because it is virtually the same steering gear body as a 97-02 steering gear. The pressure line exists, the return line exists, and the shorter steering shaft exists.

The 03-06 steering gear is much shorter. All Jeep did was extend the lower shaft from the u-joint down to the input shaft. By doing it that way, no other changes had to be made to mount the gear with the exception of one frame bolt which PSC had already done for you.

View attachment 142044
Currently installing a PSC box. Unfortunately I've seized my lower shaft by over-collapsing it.

Should I buy a 03-06 TJ shaft and shorten it, or simply buy the 97-02? Is there any modification required to fit the 97-02 or is it 100% bolt in? Does this apply to Borgeson shafts as well?

Currently installing a PSC box. Unfortunately I've seized my lower shaft by over-collapsing it.

Should I buy a 03-06 TJ shaft and shorten it, or simply buy the 97-02? Is there any modification required to fit the 97-02 or is it 100% bolt in? Does this apply to Borgeson shafts as well?
I prefer the straight bolt in 97-02. Not familiar with the Borgeson stuff.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Hi friends.
I just read the entire thread (from 2017) and just realized it is still active as of last week, haha.

Anyway I've got a couple questions, about a box for my 2002 TJ, hopefully you can help.

I need to replace my Saginaw steering gear box. It's leaking from the top.

I have 32's and do not plan on going bigger. I drive about 75% on road, 15% beach and unfortunately only 10% Offroad.

I know to stay away from Cardone.
I will not be buying an $800 PSC box, lol.

I was thinking the Napa box - https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PNB391053

Rock Auto has an AC Delco. They also have a BBB/Vision OE.

The Napa warranty document mentions BBB Industries, is the Napa box the same as the BBB/Vision OE from Rock Auto?

After various shipping/taxes/discounts, etc, they are all similarly priced - $150 or less after cores.

I don't mind spending some money to get it right. What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Wondering what you ended up doing here @Infernicus ? I have one that will need replacing soonish too. Seems like the consensus here was to go send the big bucks for PSC or go with the $200 OE refurb one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZASQ4OI/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_yG4gFb6M4B58Y
My mechanic friend recommended the Vision or AC Delco ones you mention above.

How do you know when a steering box needs replacing other than leaking, excessive play, etc?
Leak
Excessive play
Popping over center
Sector shaft is broken
Sector gear has chipped or broken teeth or tooth
Casting is warped
Mounting bosses broken or stripped out
Input spline is damaged
Front cap won't seal due to damaged o-ring groove.
Top cap won't seal or is warped.
Lash adjuster won't stay adjusted
Lash adjuster won't seal.