Previous owners are weird

Zedd

TJ Enthusiast
When you bought your TJ did you have to do some investigating? For example for some reason the previous owner put on a 2003 top on my 2002 Jeep. The carpets are warn in ways because they tried to wire something...

Dissecting what previous owners have done to your jeep is a hilarious slightly half nightmare of a situation. Got any examples to share?
23C32B52-360D-4B26-8011-F62D1C7AC35B.jpeg

Last edited:
It's possible that your Jeep only came with a soft top. Especially if you only have half doors.

When a decent top becomes available and the market being what it is, most who want a hard top will grab a deal regardless. They get pricey
I’m looking to trade for the proper top but im waiting for the best deal myself. My top is very clean/perf

So whats the difference in an 02 top & an 03 top? And are you talking hard top? Or soft top?

Mine had a different stereo in it than the one I have. I found a Sirius module under the dash.... not hooked up.

So whats the difference in an 02 top & an 03 top? And are you talking hard top? Or soft top?

Mine had a different stereo in it than the one I have. I found a Sirius module under the dash.... not hooked up.
The 97-02 tops have the vents on the side which allows air to get out of the vechicle for your trunk door. If you didnt have some sort of air coming out you’d break your back glass window. Make sense?

5C795C99-4926-4512-88CE-8DED7DC2DDEF.jpeg

The 97-02 tops have the vents on the side which allows air to get out of the vechicle for your trunk door. If you didnt have some sort of air coming out you’d break your back glass window. Make sense?

View attachment 128274
So are you just trying to be period correct or are you just worried about popping windows out?
If it's the latter of the 2 reasons it would be relatively cheap to swap out the rear tailgate or just put a vent in in your tailgate similar to the factory vents.

Have you ever owned a motorcycle, specifically vintage bikes? I’ve owned at least 30 by this point and you would not believe the weird things you see, strange “styling enhancing “, terrible wiring jobs, ill advised performance mods, you name it.

Jeeps are basically the same deal...

Hmmm, so 02 Jeeps with an 03 hard top have a problem with the windows breaking/popping out?

Interesting. I had heard that TJs & even YJs tops were compatible on some level (slight mods possibly needed).

So are you just trying to be period correct or are you just worried about popping windows out?
If it's the latter of the 2 reasons it would be relatively cheap to swap out the rear tailgate or just put a vent in in your tailgate similar to the factory vents.
I have a leak and it’s because the hardtop isnt sitting flush to the car. My thinking is they did that so have air be able to get out for the trunk

Hmmm, so 02 Jeeps with an 03 hard top have a problem with the windows breaking/popping out?

Interesting. I had heard that TJs & even YJs tops were compatible on some level (slight mods possibly needed).
Not exactly look to see what i wrote to the other guy

Back to the intent of your post... I'm still dissecting all of the POs (plural) indiscretions. to put it mildly my poor Jeep was treated like a government mule.
1st, the right front LCA mount on the axle was crushed (folded and cracked???) Not sure how I missed that when I looked it over when I bought it...
2nd SpiltFire spark plugs.... WTH???
3rd crushed fuel tank, (that opened up a HUGE can o' worms) found the Left rear LCA/trackbar mount is cracked on both sides at the axle.

I'm sure there is more to come as I dive further into it.

Reactions: Zedd
I have a leak and it’s because the hardtop isnt sitting flush to the car. My thinking is they did that so have air be able to get out for the trunk
As far as I know there is no fitment differences between the model years only the venting method changed, so I don't think switching to a top from the 97 to 02 model years will fix your leak.

Back to the intent of your post... I'm still dissecting all of the POs (plural) indiscretions. to put it mildly my poor Jeep was treated like a government mule.
1st, the right front LCA mount on the axle was crushed (folded and cracked???) Not sure how I missed that when I looked it over when I bought it...
2nd SpiltFire spark plugs.... WTH???
3rd crushed fuel tank, (that opened up a HUGE can o' worms) found the Left rear LCA/trackbar mount is cracked on both sides at the axle.

I'm sure there is more to come as I dive further into it.
What a disaster

Reactions: reddvltj
Also I can’t speak with authority on specific Jeep issues but most vehicles have cabin vents somewhere only to improve HVAC ventilation. And mine has plenty of leaks even with the hard top on so that would not be too much of a problem...

As far as I know there is no fitment differences between the model years only the venting method changed, so I don't think switching to a top from the 97 to 02 model years will fix your leak.
Yes it will. Because then I can put in the fitment peices that are supposed to be attached here:

22B7EBA5-8982-4FC2-BE1A-2F97F3A4F6F1.jpeg