Previous owners are weird

Ok so it's not a Original equipment top from an 03 Wrangler, it may have previously been on an 03.
Well I said it was an 03 top to make it easier for people to understand because that’s the problem that I have is the design. If it was aftermarket and had the 97-02 design it wouldnt be a prob

Well I said it was an 03 top to make it easier for people to understand because that’s the problem that I have is the design. If it was aftermarket and had the 97-02 design it wouldnt be a prob
I didnt think aftermarket made a distinction between the 2 different designs. A budy of mine had me help him order a hard top for his TJ and the only difference they offered was for full doors or half doors from 97 to 06, the half door option came with the upper sliders like the ones you have.

Reactions: Zedd
I didnt think aftermarket made a distinction between the 2 different designs. A busy of mine had me help him order a hard top for his TJ and the only difference they offered was for full doors or half doors from 97 to 06, the half door option came with the upper sliders like the ones you have.
You can buy them as a pair separately and I highly recommend them 🙌

My '98 Sahara only had one owner before me, and I guess the only "weird" aspect to the time the TJ spent with him was that it suffered from years and years of absolute neglect. For instance, by his own admission, the TJ went two years without an oil change because money was tight. And this was his daily driver. You can imagine the damage I've discovered as a result of the lack of maintenance.

Reactions: reddvltj and Zedd
My '98 Sahara only had one owner before me, and I guess the only "weird" aspect to the time the TJ spent with him was that it suffered from years and years of absolute neglect. For instance, by his own admission, the TJ went two years without an oil change because money was tight. And this was his daily driver. You can imagine the damage I've discovered as a result of the lack of maintenance.
That is....soooooo not okay😢

Reactions: Squatch
Sounds like a QC problem to me. Or maybe the top used to be on a tub that was not the same flatness as your own tub so the top is slightly deformed.

Sounds like a QC problem to me. Or maybe the top used to be on a tub that was not the same flatness as your own tub so the top is slightly deformed.
It’s not this because I’ve found the leak and I know where it’s coming from

Hmmm, so you have a general idea as to where it's leaking? Around the bottom of the back window?

Makes me wonder how the hell my Rampage soft top doesn't leak too. The gaps on it are pretty obvious. The zippers have a tough time closing completely around the bottom of the window. Not to mention the gaps around the top of the doors. I took it to the car wash yesterday & blew water at high pressure on those areas & they barely dripped a a few times. The dog bed I have in the back is bone dry.

Reactions: JMT
i ran an older version of the bestop, that was vented on my 04. the only fitment issue was the catches/latches for the header bar were short.
and what pieces are supposed to be on the body in that previous pic, i only ever had the rubber trim from the rear window to close that, just as they show. i always removed the soft top tail bar and it's brackets, when the hardtop was used.

Reactions: JMT
Yes. PO do some weird stuff. I’m still scratching my head on this:

AED40E88-BA2E-4048-8D2F-D6E91197A195.jpeg

7354333F-AB25-429A-99FB-EE57D9DEB802.jpeg

And don’t get me started on the 17” mall crawler wheels!

IIRC, the older versions of the hard top (97-02) have had issues with the rear side vents leaking. Perhaps that is your leak source and not fitment incompatibility.

Hmmm, so you have a general idea as to where it's leaking? Around the bottom of the back window?

Makes me wonder how the hell my Rampage soft top doesn't leak too. The gaps on it are pretty obvious. The zippers have a tough time closing completely around the bottom of the window. Not to mention the gaps around the top of the doors. I took it to the car wash yesterday & blew water at high pressure on those areas & they barely dripped a a few times. The dog bed I have in the back is bone dry.
It’s wet enough for me to want to figure it out and fix it