PRNDL's Green One

Check the ground on the block by the dipstick. I was having a no start issue because it was loose. Sounds like you got it figured out but it’s always worth a check.

This is a good reminder to check the engine ground. I'll add that to the list for next weekend.

Got caught out in a rain and hail storm, topless and no doors. All I could do was watch. Luckily, the Jeep looks to have survived unscathed.

jeep-hail.jpeg

About 5 minutes up the road, my brother had baseballs falling at his house.
baseball-hail.jpeg

I did have a chance to test fit the winch plate this weekend. I've ordered new Curt tow hooks to fit between the angles on the plate and the fogs.

winch-plate.jpeg

I also mounted the winch solenoid.
winch-solenoid.jpeg

My daughter's softball season has ended as of this weekend. I should have time to finish the winch install in the next few weeks. Slowly but surely.

A chirp/squeak has developed somewhere in the drivetrain over the last couple of weeks. It was something tied to wheel speed, not engine/transmission. I assumed the front driveshaft even though it has recently been rebuilt.

Over the weekend, I dropped the skid to flip the passenger UCA bolt that was rubbing the muffler and pulled the front DS. A quick test drive confirmed the driveshaft was the source of the offending sound. The CV joints seemed smooth and fine, but the axle end was very tight/difficult to move. There's a good chance I screwed up the install somehow. I've ordered a new 5-793x to swap in to see if that helps. Its cheap and easy and the DS is already out.

That's hopefully two squeaks eliminated in a single pass.

It's 104F today and the Jeep did not like it. Coolant temps got as high as 239F on the highway on the OBDII readout and dropped to 231F on the road in town. Looks like I have more work to do.
068_temp.jpeg

• Dislike
  • Sad
Reactions: red02tj and JMT
I didn't replace and of the cooling system when I did the flush. Think I should start with the fan clutch?

Sanity check it first…it should not pinwheel at temp (and off) my new one only moves a few inches. If you need a new one it’s ~$50 and an hour of work. L

It's 104F today and the Jeep did not like it. Coolant temps got as high as 239F on the highway on the OBDII readout and dropped to 231F on the road in town. Looks like I have more work to do.
View attachment 442218

I noticed mine was getting up there driving around this weekend but I didn't actually test it with OBD. I'm not too worried about it but I'll keep an eye out just in case.

I noticed mine was getting up there driving around this weekend but I didn't actually test it with OBD. I'm not too worried about it but I'll keep an eye out just in case.

It's worth taking a look at. I just happen to have my Bluetooth reader in the center console. I was surprised though, it was reading 235F when I took that picture, higher than it looks.

Sanity check it first…it should not pinwheel at temp (and off) my new one only moves a few inches. If you need a new one it’s ~$50 and an hour of work. L

Fan does not pinwheel hot or cold. I did notice the coolant reservoir was empty. Filled it and idled it up to temp. It hovered at 215F at idle and would drop to 210-210F with throttle. I'll keep an eye on it.

A chirp/squeak has developed somewhere in the drivetrain over the last couple of weeks. It was something tied to wheel speed, not engine/transmission. I assumed the front driveshaft even though it has recently been rebuilt.

Over the weekend, I dropped the skid to flip the passenger UCA bolt that was rubbing the muffler and pulled the front DS. A quick test drive confirmed the driveshaft was the source of the offending sound. The CV joints seemed smooth and fine, but the axle end was very tight/difficult to move. There's a good chance I screwed up the install somehow. I've ordered a new 5-793x to swap in to see if that helps. Its cheap and easy and the DS is already out.

That's hopefully two squeaks eliminated in a single pass.

Had a similar squeak recently. Turned out to be the centering ball was worn from lack of grease, even though the u joints were fine. Developed from an occasional squeak to a roaring rumble. Don’t drive on it until it’s fixed so that you don’t make it worse like I did. I sent mine to Tom woods and they had the centering ball replaced and shaft shipped back in a few days.

Had a similar squeak recently. Turned out to be the centering ball was worn from lack of grease, even though the u joints were fine. Developed from an occasional squeak to a roaring rumble. Don’t drive on it until it’s fixed so that you don’t make it worse like I did. I sent mine to Tom woods and they had the centering ball replaced and shaft shipped back in a few days.

Yep, makes sense. I've heard the centering ball can be a trouble spot. I replaced it with a new Spicer ball last September. Mine looked ok, only the diff side u-joint seemed to be tight. I replaced it and its much better, but honestly I think i just botched the original install on this end.

Reactions: Tob
Got the winch plate trimmed and painted a few months ago. New WRG fairlead and license plate mount all installed.

1695500160959.png

Today, I finally mounted the winch. No electronics as of yet. I can’t decide if I want to relocate the control box to under the hood. I do like the clean look up front though.

winch-mount01.jpg

winch-mount03.jpg

I don't think it's often ticketed, but Texas is a two plate state... right?

Listen, the WRG mount is cool, okay? 🤣

Texas always been a 2 plate state. Early career was a LEO. But correct takes a certain officer to actually ticket it.

@PRNDL you by chance going to be at TX4WD fall run @ Barnwell Mtn Oct 12-15th? Shakedown run on mine will be there.

To your post coolant system is one thing I’m gonna flush before going up along with some other routine maintenance.

Reactions: JMT
I've been pulled over 3 or 4 times for not having a front plate, but never ticketed. All were highway patrol officers.

Reactions: MattTJRubicon82
Just spent a bunch of time going through this thread and I don't know where to start!

First, I love the color! I could probably count on one hand the number of electric line green TJ's I've seen in person and always love it!

I really dig your build! I like the moderate lift, tuck, and 33's style.

I'm definitely bookmarking this thread because you've done such an great job of documenting what you've done and linking the other threads (and parts) that you've used to get to your decisions and modifications. Yours and the others will be extremely handy to have in one place. (I don't have a lot of luck with the search function on this forum. I usually have to go to Google and search what I'm looking for with "TJ forum" to find it!)

Keep up the great work!

Reactions: NashvilleTJ