PRNDL's Green One

Opened the rear diff last night. My oldest volunteered to help. Its nice to have extra hands to hand you tools. I quickly learned your helper needs to know the names of tools to be... helpful. I did get really good a describing where and what to look for. :LOL:

I started working on the locker air fitting replacement. Getting the old one out is going to be more challenging than expected. Gears, oil and everything else look to be in great shape.

PXL_20211122_013910422.MP.jpg

PXL_20211122_013843864.MP.jpg

Opened the rear diff last night. My oldest volunteered to help. Its nice to have extra hands to hand you tools. I quickly learned your helper needs to know the names of tools to be... helpful. I did get really good a describing where and what to look for. :LOL:

I started working on the locker air fitting replacement. Getting the old one out is going to be more challenging than expected. Gears, oil and everything else look to be in great shape.

View attachment 291914
View attachment 291915
i am a fan of lubelocker diff gaskets

Reactions: hear and PRNDL
Huge thanks to @Mike_H for his write-up on replacing the factory locker air fitting. These are running $100-125 online these days. Following his instructions, I put together a homemade replacement.

PXL_20211123_024523925.MP.jpg

After fighting with and removing the rusted original, the replacement slid right in. The copper tube is line to line and the pressure holds. This is the test fit before adding JB Weld.

PXL_20211123_031840810.MP.jpg

I have a set of functioning lockers!

PXL_20211123_031613906.MP.jpg

The front line has an air leak somewhere. It locks, but the pump runs every 3 seconds or so. I'll diagnose that some other day.

Last edited:
@nk24 shipped me a set of lower control arms that I installed a while back. Here's why I needed them. The replacement is on the left. The other two are my original rears.

PXL_20211128_192230700.jpg

PXL_20211128_192240854.MP.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman and nk24
Lots of updates over the past few weeks. Christmas brought GraBars and a Spiderweb shade and the time off from work let me tackle the lift. Pretty much nothing went smoothly between the rusted bolts and trips to the hardware store for sockets and drill bits. I even managed to smack myself in the face with a crowbar fighting with the front track bar. The toughest parts were getting the rear track bar back in and the seized tie rod.

Complete Savvy Control Arms
JKS 3" springs
Rancho 5000x 55239/55241
RockJock front track bar
BMB Johnny Joint Washers
OME Track Bar Bracket
New jounce cups
Zone sway extensions

Still to install:
New rear jounce bumpers
New front spring isolators
Rock Krawler bump extensions
JKS Angled track bar bracket

On order:
Tom Woods rear driveshaft

PXL_20211230_183458653.MP.jpg

PXL_20211230_183509897.MP.jpg

Rears:
PXL_20211223_215011598.MP.jpg
PXL_20211223_214955473.MP.jpg

Fronts:
PXL_20211224_055631142.MP.jpg
PXL_20211224_055558870.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Still a list a mile long of things to do.

• Tires. I need them. I'll be ordering the Cooper Evolution M/Ts in 285/75r16 from Discount Tire in the next week.
  • Cycle suspension, set bumps and measure shock travel. At first blush I think these shocks might be too short. As it sits, there's probably 70/30 up/down travel. I need to get actual measurements. @Farmergreg - I think you have this same spring/shock combo, though yours is an LJ. Did you have any concerns with shock travel on yours?
  • Set control arm lengths for caster and wheel well centering. I really only adjusted the rear uppers to get the rear pinion as happy as possible with the stock driveshaft. I've had it out around town a few times and I might be getting a little low "growl" on acceleration. New tom woods shaft is ordered.
  • Paint shock bodies assuming I keep them.
  • Rear adjustable track bar, probably the JKS OGS151.
My Savvy body lift shipped and should be here today! I can finally get around to painting and install the UCF extra clearance skid out the shed. Which reminds me, I need to order a MML and Savvy cable shifter.

Getting there...

Looking good, but damm making me nervous for this weekend. It was either $600 for the shop todo my lift install or 10k Delta miles to fly in my friend who’s “installed his lift so many times I should just do it”. He lands Thursday… any last minute words of advice or feedback on my tools? This will be my most ambitious project so far.

I’ve got full set of hand tools, sae/metric ratchet wrenches, pry bar and breaker bar, 1/4/3/8 and 1/2 socket set, floor jack, ratchet straps, 4lbs of BBQ brisket for slow cooker and still to pickup are better than PB blaster & beer.

Reactions: PRNDL
Looking good, but damm making me nervous for this weekend. It was either $600 for the shop todo my lift install or 10k Delta miles to fly in my friend who’s “installed his lift so many times I should just do it”. He lands Thursday… any last minute words of advice or feedback on my tools? This will be my most ambitious project so far.

I’ve got full set of hand tools, sae/metric ratchet wrenches, pry bar and breaker bar, 1/4/3/8 and 1/2 socket set, floor jack, ratchet straps, 4lbs of BBQ brisket for slow cooker and still to pickup are better than PB blaster & beer.
Jack stands?

Reactions: PRNDL

Mechanic's creeper and a good light (headlamp or work light) for underneath the Jeep

Reactions: Wildman
Lots of updates over the past few weeks. Christmas brought GraBars and a Spiderweb shade and the time off from work let me tackle the lift. Pretty much nothing went smoothly between the rusted bolts and trips to the hardware store for sockets and drill bits. I even managed to smack myself in the face with a crowbar fighting with the front track bar. The toughest parts were getting the rear track bar back in and the seized tie rod.

Complete Savvy Control Arms
JKS 3" springs
Rancho 5000x 55239/55241
RockJock front track bar
BMB Johnny Joint Washers
OME Track Bar Bracket
New jounce cups
Zone sway extensions

Still to install:
New rear jounce bumpers
New front spring isolators
Rock Krawler bump extensions
JKS Angled track bar bracket

On order:
Tom Woods rear driveshaft

View attachment 299343
View attachment 299344

Rears:
View attachment 299339View attachment 299340

Fronts:
View attachment 299341View attachment 299342
Lookin Good! I love electric lime green...

Still a list a mile long of things to do.

• Tires. I need them. I'll be ordering the Cooper Evolution M/Ts in 285/75r16 from Discount Tire in the next week.
  • Cycle suspension, set bumps and measure shock travel. At first blush I think these shocks might be too short. As it sits, there's probably 70/30 up/down travel. I need to get actual measurements. @Farmergreg - I think you have this same spring/shock combo, though yours is an LJ. Did you have any concerns with shock travel on yours?
  • Set control arm lengths for caster and wheel well centering. I really only adjusted the rear uppers to get the rear pinion as happy as possible with the stock driveshaft. I've had it out around town a few times and I might be getting a little low "growl" on acceleration. New tom woods shaft is ordered.
  • Paint shock bodies assuming I keep them.
  • Rear adjustable track bar, probably the JKS OGS151.
My Savvy body lift shipped and should be here today! I can finally get around to painting and install the UCF extra clearance skid out the shed. Which reminds me, I need to order a MML and Savvy cable shifter.

Getting there...
I don't recall the shock absorber part numbers, but I believe they were for a 2" lift. Pretty sure I have 2" of bump stop on the bottom pad. But I'd have to measure the bias to be sure. It's been about three years now so memory is fading a little. Everything is holding up well. The JKS springs still have air space between those tighter top coils. I just had it on the hoist in prep for dragging it out to arizona.
You've got a great looking TJ and build in an unusual color!

Here was a pic from this summer when my son and I were comparing flex on our rigs (his K-30 in the background):
1640917211725.jpeg

Mechanic's creeper and a good light (headlamp or work light) for underneath the Jeep
@red02tj this. My headlamp was my most appreciated tool.

First off, you've got this. It's totally doable. I did 95% of it completely solo. Having a blocked off day and another set of hands would have made it a breeze.

I had a pair of 6 ton jack stands for the frame, but I also made use of a smaller set for the axles at times. You'll need a torque wrench as well, the frame side of the front track bar needed 125 ft lb. I also made a lot of use of a large crescent wrench. I don't have a wide range of larger box end wrenches. it was kind of my catch all when i needed something to hold a bigger bolt.

I needed bigger sockets for my front trackbar and control arms. I have a decent mechanics tool set, but needed some on the bigger side. In the end, I bought 15/16, 13/16, 7/8 and 21mm sockets, 7/16 12" and 5/8 drill bits and a cheap tap kit from harbor freight.

I don't recall the shock absorber part numbers, but I believe they were for a 2" lift. Pretty sure I have 2" of bump stop on the bottom pad. But I'd have to measure the bias to be sure. It's been about three years now so memory is fading a little. Everything is holding up well. The JKS springs still have air space between those tighter top coils. I just had it on the hoist in prep for dragging it out to arizona.
You've got a great looking TJ and build in an unusual color!

Here was a pic from this summer when my son and I were comparing flex on our rigs (his K-30 in the background):
View attachment 299433
Awesome. I'll cycle everything and see where i end up. Thanks!

Oh, and a propane torch. If you have any rusty bolts, it makes them easy.

Oh, and a propane torch. If you have any rusty bolts, it makes them easy.
easier...Propane won't touch a truly rusted bolt. Oxy/Acetylene (or a welder) is needed then . I had some body mount bolts that were seized solid...took a couple tries welding a nut to them to get em to move. Bumper bolts too. A good impact combined with heat is probably the best tool you can have for rusty bolts. Get it good and hot, then work it back and forth with the impact. Rinse and repeat.

easier...Propane won't touch a truly rusted bolt. Oxy/Acetylene (or a welder) is needed then . I had some body mount bolts that were seized solid...took a couple tries welding a nut to them to get em to move. Bumper bolts too. A good impact combined with heat is probably the best tool you can have for rusty bolts. Get it good and hot, then work it back and forth with the impact. Rinse and repeat.
Fair point. My experience with "rust" down south and your experience with real rust are not the same. A quick hit with some heat did make several old brown bolts and my tie rod break free after struggling with it soaked in Kroil.

Reactions: Mike_H
Fair point. My experience with "rust" down south and your experience with real rust are not the same. A quick hit with some heat did make several old brown bolts and my tie rod break free after struggling with it soaked in Kroil.

Thanks for all the tips. I’ve got a creeper and some good headlight/world lights and I’ll pickup a propane torch this weekend. I’m hoping my rust is like PRNDLS based on being in the south and what the undercarriage looked like when I got it up on the lift before purchase.

F5054A20-A30C-4A40-B4FE-7260B45D1EBE.jpeg

Reactions: Alex01 and Huckster