Problem with adding Bluetooth to factory radio

Bink

So, I'm not well versed in this stuff and thought I'd take the somewhat easy route of allowing my factory radio (I want to keep it looking stock) to speak Bluetooth. I went ahead and picked up https://www.discountcarstereo.com/blu-chry02.html thinking it would Just Work, but it's not. I also know I could have gone with a simple Bluetooth FM transmitter that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but I didn't want to do that.

I confirmed 11.2V (is this enough?) coming out of the 10-pin accessory socket on the back of the factory radio with a multimeter, but the Bluetooth module does not appear to be getting power.

Appreciate any thoughts on where to go next as I'd really love to get this to work.

Also, since I'm new here and can't send private messages, I'm going to try noting @Daryl per https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/1-factory-radio.19641/post-323456 and @brewtus98 per https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-add-bluetooth-to-your-oem-radio.20063/post-1205911 specifically here in the hope I can get you guys to chime in since it appears you are using this device.

The device is also mentioned in these threads, but I can't seem to call out the OPs specifically for some reason:
Thanks!

That sounds like the one I used when I did this upgrade. Looks like they changed the case.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tackform-dash-mount-no-drill.48008/post-834862

I will say, there was no external way to know it worked. Cycling through (I believe) the radio's "Mode" button gets everything to work. The radio needs to act as if it's in CD mode.

Hopefully that makes sense.

That's an excellent thread with a cool mount. Thanks! In my case, the Mode button doesn't appear to do anything and my Bluetooth device doesn't see anything when I attempt to pair it. I have a feeling the Bluetooth module might not be getting enough power, but I'm not certain.

I appreciate you chiming in!

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
That's an excellent thread with a cool mount. Thanks! In my case, the Mode button doesn't appear to do anything and my Bluetooth device doesn't see anything when I attempt to pair it. I have a feeling the Bluetooth module might not be getting enough power, but I'm not certain.

I appreciate you chiming in!

Thanks much. I remember having a brief moment where I thought mine didn't seem to work, so that's why I chimed in.

I don't mean to be insulting, but just to be sure, all of the below applies to your radio and you've done all the troubleshooting steps?

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 05-29-29 BLU-CHRY02 Bluetooth streaming Add-on module for select 2002...png

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 05-26-09 BLU-CHRY02 Music Streaming Receiver for select 2002-08 Chrys...png

I appreciate the direction. I actually went though that before and after buying the module.

Really just hoping someone went though my issue and found a fix.

To add, it would appear there was an issue with my battery and the 11.2V I noted in the OP was indicative. However, I just purchased a new battery and now have ~12.2V coming from the 10-pin accessory socket on the back of the factory radio, but the issue persists.

• Sad
Just a thought:

Could it be that the mode button itself isn’t working? (rather than the new BT module?) i wonder if you had tried putting in a CD before the install?
If it can be confirmed , a new used head unit might solve it?

So, I'm not well versed in this stuff and thought I'd take the somewhat easy route of allowing my factory radio (I want to keep it looking stock) to speak Bluetooth. I went ahead and picked up https://www.discountcarstereo.com/blu-chry02.html thinking it would Just Work, but it's not. I also know I could have gone with a simple Bluetooth FM transmitter that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but I didn't want to do that.

I confirmed 11.2V (is this enough?) coming out of the 10-pin accessory socket on the back of the factory radio with a multimeter, but the Bluetooth module does not appear to be getting power.

Appreciate any thoughts on where to go next as I'd really love to get this to work.

Also, since I'm new here and can't send private messages, I'm going to try noting @Daryl per https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/1-factory-radio.19641/post-323456 and @brewtus98 per https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-add-bluetooth-to-your-oem-radio.20063/post-1205911 specifically here in the hope I can get you guys to chime in since it appears you are using this device.

The device is also mentioned in these threads, but I can't seem to call out the OPs specifically for some reason:
Thanks!

I would call the company help line

Could it be that the mode button itself isn’t working? (rather than the new BT module?) i wonder if you had tried putting in a CD before the install?
If it can be confirmed , a new used head unit might solve it?

Does the mode button do anything? When I press it nothing happens. I can insert a CD into the slot and it plays just fine. I guess a new head unit might solve it, but that might be a more challenging find.

Reactions: 4Lo4Sho
Does the mode button do anything? When I press it nothing happens. I can insert a CD into the slot and it plays just fine. I guess a new head unit might solve it, but that might be a more challenging find.

Mode button switches from am/fm to CD mode, so i was thinking maybe if it weren’t working it could have been a source of an issue, but if a CD works and plays, then I’d say you’re good in that regard.

What you could do is wire an additional cigarette lighter behind your factory lighter and plug in the Bluetooth FM transmitter that way. If the manual says your radio is not compatible, this seems like a better work around. I've done that in the past. Of course, factory radios from 25 years ago are totally obsolete. I mean who would want a 8 track player for a car stereo, just because it was stock when there are no 8 tracks available. A nice clean stereo upgrade is probably the best route. CD players are also obsolete. Android Auto/Car Play is the best thing that works with Bluetooth and can be a seamless upgrade. Bluetooth still needs a mic to be fully functional. Most modern stereos have all those options and it can still look clean and stock. I did it without damaging any of my stock dash components. I don't know anyone who would choose a stock radio over a good stereo upgrade. It actually makes the resell value go up.

Good luck, Bink - I myself went with this one from Grom Audio, after reading some good reviews. I hope you can fix the one you have, but if not - Grom gets my full approval.

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/

So, no luck for me, so I'm thinking of giving the Grom a spin, even though it's rather pricey.

How does the Bluetooth music from the GROM sound compared to, say, the FM radio? Is the Bluetooth music muddled or with less fidelity/quality compared to FM?

Thanks.

So, no luck for me, so I'm thinking of giving the Grom a spin, even though it's rather pricey.

How does the Bluetooth music from the GROM sound compared to, say, the FM radio? Is the Bluetooth music muddled or with less fidelity/quality compared to FM?

Thanks.
Bummer.

Personally, I think the Grom audio bluetooth feed sounds pretty great for a factory Jeep sound system, compared to the AM/FM quality. In my case, since i live in the sticks, the FM quality is often somewhat spotty - which makes me prefer bluetoothing songs from my phone or from our Pandora app.

In this video, I actually have a blown factory subwoofer that needs to be swapped out but even with the bass turned town a fair bit, I've been really pleased with the quality. MORE than adequate with a hard top as far as volume and competes well with the mild roar of a soft top @ 65mph on the freeway, with a bit of distortion at the higher volumes.

In any case, here's a link to the function check with my Grom setup installed. I have an iPhone 12 mini - just for reference.

Last edited: