Problem with steering locking up

Not going to happen unless just one side rubs from the axle not being properly centered via the correct length track bar.

Are your axles well centered or are they off to the side?

As I said earlier I am running 4" of backspacing which positions my tires closer to the spring perches than yours are. Mine do not rub.

Jerry, my problem with the wheels I have is that the rear ones come in contact with the brake calipers without the spacers. I am running the G2 Brake Disc Conversion on the rear and their calipers sit closer to the rims than the OEM ones up front. I could get away without the spacers up front. I am confident that my axles are centered.

Jerry, my problem with the wheels I have is that the rear ones come in contact with the brake calipers without the spacers. I am running the G2 Brake Disc Conversion on the rear and their calipers sit closer to the rims than the OEM ones up front. I could get away without the spacers up front. I am confident that my axles are centered.
Ok that is new information so it now makes sense for the rear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stinger and Binnie
I have been blaming the locker all along until I had the conversation with Eaton and 4 Wheel Parts. The locker engages and disengages fine on the trails. I have disconnected the power source to the locker and the problem still exists.

MrBlaine's explanation makes the most sense actually. I'd go with what he said! It does sound like something is hanging up, just the geometries aren't correct.

Reactions: Binnie and Chris
This morning I took the Jeep out for a run and I brought my floor jack with me. Sure enough the steering locked up at the first intersection. I drove through and pulled off the road and jacked up the the left front and discovered the differential was locked. I dropped the jack and backed up about 30 feet and the diff disengaged. So now we know the cause and now I need to find out what is causing the locker to engage by itself after the Jeep sits overnight in a heated garage.

This morning I took the Jeep out for a run and I brought my floor jack with me. Sure enough the steering locked up at the first intersection. I drove through and pulled off the road and jacked up the the left front and discovered the differential was locked. I dropped the jack and backed up about 30 feet and the diff disengaged. So now we know the cause and now I need to find out what is causing the locker to engage by itself after the Jeep sits overnight in a heated garage.

So you're 100% certain it is the differential? Hmmm, that's weird.

Are you certain you have it wired up correctly?

Reactions: Stinger and Binnie
Good job isolating it, that's what I suspected from the beginning. :)

Reactions: Chris and Binnie
Watching this thread now as I just ordered the same axle. Curious about what the determination will be. What do you guys think about his steering box brace? Do you all think it's needed/good insurance?

What do you guys think about his steering box brace? Do you all think it's needed/good insurance?
I installed a steering box brace from M.O.R.E. onto my TJ and consider it good insurance. And while I don't recall specifically if I have helped with a TJ steering box having been ripped off its mount, I have had to help where a Cherokee's steering box had.

I just wanted to give an update on the steering issue I was having. I was able to verify that indeed the locker was locking the steering up but I have not pulled it to see why. I do know that when it does lock up, backing up a few feet unlocks it. I have installed a stage 4 steering assist kit and that changes the lockup scenario significantly. I can actually steer on a hard surface even when it is locked.

steer.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Well, glad you got to the bottom of it at least. Seems like you have a defective locker or something.