Problems filling fuel tank

bret nelson

I have a Jeep wrangler 2006.
My problem is when I start filling the gas tank, the gas stations nozzle keeps kicking me out.
The only way to fill the tank is very very slowly.
If you have any solutions let me know.

I just had the fill hose replaced with the GM hose, and the back splash fill "fix". The shop found the charcoal can valve on top RT of fuel tank was plugged, they removed it and cleaned it up so now I can fill with the pump on full speed!

Does it happen at all stations, or just certain ones?

I have the same issue at my local gas station, but nowhere else. Must be something about how their pumps are set, I don't know. But I can get full flow everywhere else but there. I find it helps to turn the pump nozzle around 45 ~ 90 degrees, but then you have to hold it in that position. I usually just try to fill up somewhere else.

I just had the fill hose replaced with the GM hose, and the back splash fill "fix". The shop found the charcoal can valve on top RT of fuel tank was plugged, they removed it and cleaned it up so now I can fill with the pump on full speed!
I had performed the fix with the GM hose and ran into a similar issue, but it was just from the hose kinking after a temperature change. I used some of the excess hose and an extra clamp from the original fix to reinforce the hose, which has prevented the kink from recurring.

I was going to post about this same issue a little while back until I read through a couple of comments from Blaine about the “fix” vs the “bandaid”. While most seem to have the problem where it over fills and splash’s back, I too had the slow filling/ pump constantly clicking off kind of issue. From what I gathered filing down the piece in th video will solve both issues regardless of which you have.

Reactions: 307JeepN
Thanks Guys. Does It look like that valve is in the fill hose? If so I should be able to just pull the fill hose without dropping the whole tank. Or at least I hope so.

I was going to post about this same issue a little while back until I read through a couple of comments from Blaine about the “fix” vs the “bandaid”. While most seem to have the problem where it over fills and splash’s back, I too had the slow filling/ pump constantly clicking off kind of issue. From what I gathered filing down the piece in th video will solve both issues regardless of which you have.
That is correct. No need for the GM bullshit. The problems stem from where in the cage the valve sticks or gets sticky. I've fixed several with the GM hose, removed it, fixed the valve and they work as new and they should since there is absolutely nothing in the filler hose that causes the issue. The fix also solves the trickle fuel in for 20 minutes.

Thanks Guys. Does It look like that valve is in the fill hose? If so I should be able to just pull the fill hose without dropping the whole tank. Or at least I hope so.
No, the valve is in the base of the filler neck spout inside the tank. Tank has to come down and the pump has to come out to access it. Run the tank low unless you like dipping your elbow in gasoline.

It generally takes me about 5 minutes to add the last gallon of fuel in the tank, so someday I'll do the nasty.
Brah! Mine did both before I fixed it. It once took me 20 mins to get about 8 gals in. I stopped because it was all I needed to get home. Wasn't long after I dropped the tank and fixed it for good. Now I can click the nozzle on full blast and run inside for a 12 pk of PBR's without worry :D

Brah! Mine did both before I fixed it. It once took me 20 mins to get about 8 gals in. I stopped because it was all I needed to get home. Wasn't long after I dropped the tank and fixed it for good. Now I can click the nozzle on full blast and run inside for a 12 pk of PBR's without worry :D

Yeah, I'm lazy.