Problems filling fuel tank

mrblaine

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Nov 20, 2015
Quail Valley, CA
As you may surmise, we drop a lot of TJ fuel tanks for various reasons. I bought one of my few HF things purely to do nothing but drop tanks. It works so well, I'm sad I didn't think of it 10 years ago.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...0-lbs-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-63397.html

Full, empty, stock height, 4-5" of lift, raised tanks, it just doesn't matter and works perfectly for all of them. If you are really lazy, best money you can spend to stay that way.

bobthetj03

vibrajeep
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
As you may surmise, we drop a lot of TJ fuel tanks for various reasons. I bought one of my few HF things purely to do nothing but drop tanks. It works so well, I'm sad I didn't think of it 10 years ago.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...0-lbs-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-63397.html

Full, empty, stock height, 4-5" of lift, raised tanks, it just doesn't matter and works perfectly for all of them. If you are really lazy, best money you can spend to stay that way.

Nice tip. I can see that jack being very helpful.

Dec 26, 2018
Fairborn, OH

Damn. That would've come in handy when I replaced my fuel pump assembly a couple days ago... Stupid and didn't run the tank down so did the swap at 3/4 of a tank and tried to balance it on a normal jack was near impossible, had a piece of wood to help distribute the load but when it was time to jack it back up it had shifted and come out.

mrblaine

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Nov 20, 2015
Quail Valley, CA
Damn. That would've come in handy when I replaced my fuel pump assembly a couple days ago... Stupid and didn't run the tank down so did the swap at 3/4 of a tank and tried to balance it on a normal jack was near impossible, had a piece of wood to help distribute the load but when it was time to jack it back up it had shifted and come out.
We did it that way many times. The trick is to take a motorcycle ratchet strap and find a spot on the jack lifting head that you can hook to and then get to both ends of the tank skid which will at least slow down how much it wants to move around on you.

Dec 26, 2018
Fairborn, OH
We did it that way many times. The trick is to take a motorcycle ratchet strap and find a spot on the jack lifting head that you can hook to and then get to both ends of the tank skid which will at least slow down how much it wants to move around on you.
Thanks thats actually really good advice. Hopefully I don't have to take it down again anytime soon but if I do i'll try to rig something up.