An update on the two V8 Jeep TJ's:

Both have changed hands twice since I sold them. The first one was from life changes with the owner and the second was lack of traction to complete the project. He basically ran out of steam and sold it as a project to another who has contacted me about the details of the engine harness and what needs to be done to make it drive since I sold it.

Will keep everyone posted and yes I asked the new owners for pictures of how they look now but as of yet, I haven't gotten any photos.

RR

Good to know you're still around and kicking. I've hit a wall on my build and just decided to take a few weeks off.

Reactions: RangerRick
Updates:

Well our "Jeep Rescue" home is down to the lowest number of Jeeps in nearly two decades.

We only have our classic CJ that we are converting to diesel power and all the others have been sold/adopted out to loving homes.

We have been busy because of family birthdays and summer coming up so there hasn't been much done in the way of Jeep work but we do have a Rock Krawler JKUR suspension kit for sale in the classifieds for those who are looking to put more ground clearance under their JK's.

Despite what it looks like, we are not getting out of Jeep ownership and I remind everyone we still have a CJ project that we are working on.

Check it out here: https://wrangleryjforum.com/threads/the-diesel-jeep-build.27564/

There will be a Dana 44 front axle setup for TJ available for sale that will be listed soon a remnant from one of the V8 conversions that went to 1-Tons.

Let me know if interested, it will have manual hubs and setup for 4"+ suspension kit.

RR

97 tj, wanting to swap in the 5.2 and automatic from a 97 gc. You can swap the gc input to the 231 t case right? And using the gc automatic do you have to move t231 back or leave where it is? Also, how extensive is it to do the wiring? And what years do I have to worry about skim? Or whatever that is? Just bought a 97 tj with 2.5 and 5spd, would rather have v8 auto, only some moderateoffloading, probably no bigger than 33's

97 tj, wanting to swap in the 5.2 and automatic from a 97 gc. You can swap the gc input to the 231 t case right? And using the gc automatic do you have to move t231 back or leave where it is? Also, how extensive is it to do the wiring? And what years do I have to worry about skim? Or whatever that is? Just bought a 97 tj with 2.5 and 5spd, would rather have v8 auto, only some moderateoffloading, probably no bigger than 33's

There are a LOT more active threads right now with magnum swaps happening.

Rick was working on a diesel swap into a CJ last time I talked to him.

I'll answer you question in a little while. But you might be better off to ask these questions in a thread in the General TJ area. But do a search first as I think you'll find most of your questions answered.

Skim will be in all vehicles and is hit-or-miss but to be sure in fully loaded vehicles it will have it. Find a work truck base RAM, it probably won't have SKIM enabled. Otherwise you'll have to send the ECM to get it flashed, something I didn't want to do.

To answer your questions, I will try to keep it short and simple.

You need to use the same bus architecture ECM and donor as your Jeep to keep things simple. The early Jeeps are the same as the similar year RAM trucks. Ram trucks with the 5.2/5.9L engine in 1998 & 1999 make the best donors for the ECM.

Don't bother with the GC ECM. They all have SKIM and all had a BCM module they talked to so they are as a general rule OUT.

Don't use a 1997 RAM ECM. They will not run your gauges, although they will run your engine just fine. Use a 1998 or 1999 to be sure.

I will state this because it should be said here for everyone to know:

The BEST automatic transmission you can go with is the 46RE from the only year Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9L in 1998. It is strong, has the starter on the correct side for the swap to cause the least interference with things and will last even with hard wheeling.

You can use a RAM 46RE but know that the starter is on the opposite side and that can possibly cause drive shaft and exhaust clearance issues. They can be worked around but I found the 5.9 Limited ZJ 46RE to be the best of the best for this project.

You can order a newly reman one without core refund but they will cost $3K+ or better depending on where you get it from. I bought mine from Rock Auto and they had the BEST price of anyone unless you have a brother-in-law deal going with someone who can rebuild one for you. I returned the 5.2L auto from a standard ZJ V8 5.2L in it's place and they still gave me full core refund credit so I was happy with that. Rock auto sends it in a coffin and you return it in the same coffin container. Also you are responsible for freight back so that comes out of the core refund amount.

Transfer case input is 23 spline and on the early '97's (2 of them) TJ's I had, it had the same splines so it just bolted up. Manual AX-5 equipped Jeeps will need the input gear swapped on the NP-231J though for sure this I know for a fact since I did it before on another manual conversion TJ.

Wiring harness is easy to figure out if you have the service manual. Understand that ALL the pins on the ECM are the same those years for all Chrysler vehicles. This makes it easy to re-pin the harness and "add" the missing wiring that is needed for the Jeep TJ.

In my case, I unplugged the engine harness from the ZJ and used it to build my harness. I removed the wiring from the 4-cyl TJ harness and added it to the ZJ harness leaving all the other ZJ wiring as needed. I rebuilt the ZJ harness to use the body connectors from the TJ. Early TJ's have a totally different set of body harness to engine harness connectors than later mid 1998 and up TJ's do.

I used a 1998 5.9L automatic equipped RAM truck ECM to run the ZJ engine. I also re-configured the charging circuit because the ZJ has a separate harness for the alternator and the one from the TJ was integrated in the engine bay harness. I used the ZJ 135 Amp alternator that came on the engine since it was upsized for the towing package the ZJ had on it. I also integrated the fuel pump harness from the TJ into the ZJ harness to reach along the frame and plug into the tank sender. I rewired the starter/Neutral Safety Switch from the ZJ into the TJ based harness to make them play. Factory like so if I ever took it to Jeep, it would look like Jeep built the TJ with the 5.9L option from the factory.

I used the shifter bezel and gate out of a 2003-2006 TJ that was equipped with the 4-Speed 42RLE automatic into the '97 TJ by simply swapping it in and swapping the 3-speed shifter bezel & gate out. It connected up to the 46RE with the cable and worked like factory with Circle-D overdrive position and all gears working as required. I used the dip stick off of the 98 ZJ for the transmission and re-worked the air conditioner plumbing to use the TJ's HVAC and the ZJ engine mounted compressor. On that Jeep, I added a York compressor for on-board air on power tools etc. I also sent out the 135A alternator from the ZJ to be modified by Premiere Power so it could be used for welding with the premiere welding box and a wire spool gun package.

All gauges worked and the ECM communicated through the same test port as the TJ so you could scan for codes and reset any errors if you had one. I used the 4.0L fan shroud and ran a mechanical fan on the water pump as normal. No electric fans, they just fail on the trail and leave you overheated.

I still have all the service manuals if someone wants to buy them and pay for freight, I will sell the whole set for TJ/ZJ for $80 + shipping. I won't need them again. All my Jeeps are turbo-diesel powered nowadays.

RR

Reactions: Wildman

Here is the magnum swap bible pretty much.

https://tinyurl.com/bdfyjwha

Ones from here.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/magnum-engine-questions.59417/

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/questions-on-the-magnum-v8-swap.53411/

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/5-3-chevy-or-5-2-mopar.43732/

And there are a lot more threads on here and on other forums.

As RR said the Jeep GC have the starter on the passenger side of the engine while the Dodge has them on the driver's side. I can say after having the starter on the driver's side it would be a lot easier if I was running a Jeep transmission.
You can build a 44RE to handle so decent power but as RR said if you want the best then you want a 46RE.

Wiring isn't that hard just takes a little time. And as for the PCM as RR also pointed out your best bet is to find one out of a Ram 1500 or 2500 pickup. Get a bare bones truck without any frills. Or order one from Ebay and make sure they disable anything you don't need.

Even with 33" tires I'd at least do a Super 35 kit but would choose a Dana 44 first. And yes you will have to change the input gear or the t-case to have the proper 23 spline input. It isn't hard.