The Dana 44 I found local the guy is asking $300 for a Rubi Dana 44 with 80k on it. No factory compressors and said it needs new axle seals. So I figured I could by a Dana 44 "refresh kit" (about $100), do all the seals and bearings, pick up a factory compressor ($150-ish), and then the electrical and hoses wouldn't be much more. So I'm into a Dana 44 with a selectable locker in the rear for around $600. Where as I had been planning on doing the Ford 8.8, $300 for the axle, $300 for the truss, $75 for wheels spacers, and a few other parts totaling around $800, plus the labor and time to weld everything in place. I'm currently running 33's with plans to go to 35's once these shoes go bad. Doubt I'll go much bigger. I do have a Rubicon TC, which means the shorter driveshaft and with the offset diff on the 8.8 things could get a little weird.

I have plans to wheel throughout the Midwest and eventually travel more distant (CO, NM, Moab, so forth) in the future but not sure I'd make it all the way out to the coasts to do JV, Rubicon Trail and so on. I know it's possible to break stuff on the easy trails and what not too, but I like to take it easy since my Jeep will also be a daily and I need to drive home and to work the next week. Plus I'm broke so I can't constantly be dropping money into it because I got reckless over the weekend.

I'm also not saying I wouldn't go to the 8.8 or Dana 60 in a year or so, I'm just needing something right now to get me rolling again. My engine swap is getting fairly close to coming to an end and want to be able to drive it right away because my Jeep has now been down since Oct. As of right now I'm going Saturday afternoon to look at the axle and probably going to pick it up, unless someone can talk me out of it.

What years of Grand Cherokee's do I need to look at for the power steering pump? The one from the Durango makes things a little tight on the driver's side.

To @TraverStevens, V8, As in a 5.2L or the 5.9L, all brackets are the same. I prefer looking at the 5.2L because they are way more common than the 1998 rare 5.9L ZJ Grand Cherokees.

Also I believe for what you are saying you are going to do the stock or Rubicon Dana 44 should be fine for your conversion and you can beef it up to withstand most wheeling on up to 35's for a reasonable upgrade cost. I'd stick with 30 spline axle shafts though because the moment you venture to "super" parts, it means NOBODY in your group or around you will have suitable spare parts should you break one of those custom shafts. It can ruin your entire vacation wheeling trip when you can't easily get a replacement shaft because it's non standard "custom" spec spline count. Non standard bolt pattern can be easily overcome by carrying a wheel adapter with you made from aluminum but extra shafts that have "super" 33 or 35 splines are rare as "hens'" teeth and should be avoided because of that. It will be even worse should you break the "super upsplined locker. Good luck finding that anywhere!

If you feel you just have to go custom, then just go 1-ton or stay close to stock is what I recommend FWIW.

RR

Sorry for the delay. I have been extremely busy with other projects lately and haven't been on the website in a few weeks. I think it was 5* maybe but will have to look at my notes. it was evident when I mocked and tacked the AA motor mounts to the frame. Then when I dropped the engine in, it turned out to be perfect but I need to look at my notebook to be sure.

Reactions: Whitetrash
I got my engine in and wiring is 99.9% done. Now I am trying to connect the trans to the stock skid plate. I have an auto trans and a SYE in my TC. Any ideas on where to/How to bolt the trans to the skid plate? Maybe I am overthinking this?

Reactions: RangerRick
I will be putting some stuff up in the FOR SALE area soon for those interested in doing a V8 conversion on an early TJ.

Anyone interested I have a donor 1998 V8 ZJ 4x4 that ran & drove before I parked it. Has lein-sale paperwork on it and is ready to tow home for all your swap parts needed.
I got my engine in and wiring is 99.9% done. Now I am trying to connect the trans to the stock skid plate. I have an auto trans and a SYE in my TC. Any ideas on where to/How to bolt the trans to the skid plate? Maybe I am overthinking this?
I used the original Jeep TJ mount and added the plate from the ZJ Grand to combine them. It wasn't hard when you mock it up. Just used a floor jack to hold up the tummy tuck skid from Tera in place while I marked where I needed to weld the two together. It all bolts up like it was meant to be. The TJ & ZJ mounts combined that is. Have to see if I took a picture somewhere of it all finished when I get home and have the chance.

Reactions: Wojoe
Does it matter what engine it had or were they all the same?
Sorry I missed you were asking me what engine. It doesn't matter if it is a 5.2 or 5.9L engine. The ZJ grand V8 1996 to 1998 will have the bracket you want if it is the V8 ENGINE.

I will be putting some stuff up in the FOR SALE area soon for those interested in doing a V8 conversion on an early TJ.

Anyone interested I have a donor 1998 V8 ZJ 4x4 that ran & drove before I parked it. Has lein-sale paperwork on it and is ready to tow home for all your swap parts needed.

I used the original Jeep TJ mount and added the plate from the ZJ Grand to combine them. It wasn't hard when you mock it up. Just used a floor jack to hold up the tummy tuck skid from Tera in place while I marked where I needed to weld the two together. It all bolts up like it was meant to be. The TJ & ZJ mounts combined that is. Have to see if I took a picture somewhere of it all finished when I get home and have the chance.
Picture would be awesome thank you

I will have to take a photo of the ZJ. It can be made to be a runner if someone wanted a luxo-pillow-barge with all the goodies and full power 4 door. It has lein-sale paperwork with most all the fees paid to California so it is not branded as "salvage" or rebuilt title. $600 takes it.

As far as the other items, I will photograph them and put them in the classifieds section as well.

I will have the following parts for sale:

Rock Jock 60 high pinion 5.13 gears & next generation Eaton E-Locker axle & 35 spline 1.5" ChroMo shafts $2850
(This axle is built for a TJ/LJ so all suspension tabs will fit factory geometry suspension kits except the track bar)
(This axle would cost over $3400 today ordered the same way without brakes installed. Save $550 now)

SJ Dana 44 5.13 gears, Crossover High Steering & HD Synergy/RE track bar, HD brackets Detroit & Warn hubs $1950
(This axle is super beefy full-size truck type from a narrow track SJ Cherokee 61" same as TJ/LJ setup for 3 or 4 link)

100% Stock 2005 LJ/TJ Dana 44 front axle assembly, 4:10's & factory air locker w/pump & steering $2000
(straight out of a 40K mile LJ unlimited, will bolt into ANY TJ/LJ, MJ, XJ or ZJ Jeep platform with minimal to no mods)

RE Superflex 4.5" short arm suspension kit with all 4 adjustable arms & HD track bars $900
(Fits LJ or TJ Wranglers, everything is included in this kit including the adjustable track bars & even the Rock Jock anti-sway bar for the front. I will also throw in the extended braided brake lines from crown and spacers)

Nth Degree Mobility Shock Shifters upper brackets $75
(fits all TJ/LJ models. requires minor fabrication and welding of axle side brackets if you truly want fully located or will work with the factory axle shock mounts too. Keeps your shocks from hitting spring buckets on lifts)

Nth Degree Mobility rear spring relocators with the 3" rear progressive springs shocks, shifters etc. $225
(fits all LJ/TJ models, relocates rear springs to be vertical and get rid of the annoying and potentially damaging arc the rear springs are under) Nets around 4-5" of lift after install.

5.2L Magnum V8 engine from ZJ Grand Cherokee with conversion wiring harness and completely remanufactured zero miles on it. This is the rare 5.9L ZJ transmission paired with a 5.2L motor $2400
(I have more into this transmission alone than I am asking for the entire engine/transmission combo)
(will include the 1997 TJ early style wiring harness already blended for the TJ body and ready to plug-&-play)
(All this is from another V8 conversion I was working on that went defunct and won't be performed....... )

TJ Full roll cage with S.B. cage components, ballistic nylon padding and 2005 speaker sound pods installed $350
(Bolt in ready for all 1997-2002 Jeep Wranglers. Easy to customize the wiring for your stereo system)

Custom rock sliders and body tub armor for TJ Wranglers, this includes step bar & full sides/corners $300
(all this was only used as a mock-up for pictures in a catalog. Never permanently mounted and like new)
(black wrinkle finish on all parts professionally baked on powder coated not spray painted)

Aluminum V8 radiator for Magnum or Chevy conversion new in box tig welded $170
(Fits all LJ/TJ's can be adapted to be used with stock 2.5 or 4.0L engine, has auto trans cooler inside)

2005 Rubicon TJ interior. Dark agate seats with bases and carpeting in used condition $350
(adapted earlier seatbelts to these seats for pre-2003 TJ's comes with fold & tumble 2002 back seat & brackets)
(package deal all seats and carpeting)

2001-2002 subwoofer center console with Kicker sub already installed and wiring coming out for amp $175
(this has been modified per my writeup on the web for another TJ I was building for a guy who canceled)

1997-2002 TJ Wrangler windshield & glass in good shape with good seal $250

1997-2006 50" light bar with windshield brackets $75

Olympic rock bumper with integrated winch mount and stinger assembly $250
(mounts above the frame for extra high approach clearance. very stout and strong up to 9500 Lb winch will fit)

Rear armored bumper for TJ full width protects corners and has D-ring tabs and 2" receiver tow hitch $140
(bolts up to rear cross member on the frame made of thick plate steel)

Good early style TJ Wrangler frame that is RUST FREE DESERT SO CAL will become available shortly $400
(this frame can be used on all TJ Wranglers from beginning of production to the end of the 2002 model year without any modifications whatsoever. It can be used on 2003-2006 but there are several minor changes that must be accounted for such as the steering box differences and skid plate hole pattern differences that were incorporated by Daimler when they took over Chrysler)

I will also have half door pairs available $350
(including inner panels, hinges and mirrors)

Used soft top with factory frame in good shape and include half door upper skins will be available shortly $350

Used wheels & tires that are 5x5.5 bolt pattern set of 4 with similar spare wheel 32x9.5x15 TSL mud $350
(use a wheel adapter 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 for them to fit your TJ/LJ. These have 90% remaining tread and are nitrogen filled stored in the garage bias ply tires)

Rare Tera-Flex flat belly tummy tuck for their LCG or your own lift kit $250
(this was the early style without a step in it smooth boat sides with even higher clearance. If you ever wanted a tummy tuck, this is a good choice. See the pictures of the one on my Jeep in this thread, it is the same style)

More to follow along with pictures as time permits......

RR

Last edited:
Announcement:
I have sold this Jeep build to a new owners garage.

The twin to it that I was working on the last half year is being sold as well so the mass of parts for that build will be sold here and elsewhere locally.

Take a look, there may be something you want or need for your TJ/LJ & thanks to all who liked my build. It is kind of sad but I will probably be back someday since there are now free beds at my:

"Rescue home for abused and neglected Jeeps"

A special Thanks to @Chris for hosting this website.

RR

Sorry to see it go, but hopefully it went to a good home! Getting out of Jeeps for a while?
No, I am not getting out of Jeeps. I still have my old Diesel CJ-7 and our JKUR but I am downsizing for a while because we are moving and the new house doesn't have a 100' long double driveway that can store 17 cars on it or the 6 car barn/garage, both that I have now which was uber rare to find in the city.
I will be down to a short steep driveway that can hold maybe 1 car and still get out of the 500 sq. ft. double attached garage. There is room for only 2 cars in the garage, maybe one in the side yard and one in the driveway on this property. Even though I am going from a .16 acre city lot to 3/4 acre of more rural land, a lot of it is hillside and partly forested. To top it off, there is only room for one compact vehicle in front of the house so extra vehicles have to go.

RR

Reactions: Chris
Ahhh, I gotcha. Yep, sometimes when you don't have enough space, cars have to go. I know how that goes firsthand!

I am now onto another engine swap over on sister website wrangleryjforum.com for anyone wishing to follow

"A Jeep Rescue" The home for troubled Jeeps is at it again. This time we are swapping a Cummins 3.9L 4BT engine and 5-speed transmission into a CJ-7. Come watch our progress over on the sister forum for YJ Wranglers if you would!

Thanks for looking!

Link to the new thread: https://wrangleryjforum.com/threads/the-diesel-jeep-build.27564/

Also an update:

BOTH V8 TJ's have changed hands again and I got several questions from new owners.

The V8 runner is now on it's 3nd owner after me and the project parts V8 swap jeep is on it's 2nd owner.

Not because of the V8 but because of life-changes in the owners lives.

They live on.......

RR

Reactions: Squatch and Wildman
I am now onto another engine swap over on sister website wrangleryjforum.com for anyone wishing to follow

"A Jeep Rescue" The home for troubled Jeeps is at it again. This time we are swapping a Cummins 3.9L 4BT engine and 5-speed transmission into a CJ-7. Come watch our progress over on the sister forum for YJ Wranglers if you would!

Thanks for looking!

Link to the new thread: https://wrangleryjforum.com/threads/the-diesel-jeep-build.27564/

Also an update:

BOTH V8 TJ's have changed hands again and I got several questions from new owners.

The V8 runner is now on it's 3nd owner after me and the project parts V8 swap jeep is on it's 2nd owner.

Not because of the V8 but because of life-changes in the owners lives.

They live on.......

RR

Nice to have you pop in and fill us in on how things are going. I'll have to stop by and check out your diesel swap.

Reactions: RangerRick
Thanks! I plan on adding pictures to it soon.

Have a cavity where there used to be a driveline and some motor mounts that used to hold up a gasser GM engine in there that I am going to "mod" for the Cummins diesel.

I have most of the parts for the job including the engine, SAE adapter, flywheel, transmission and some clutch parts. Also will build my own drive shafts from existing parts.

Will also update on the axles and suspension that I built and installed under the Jeep since those are all stuff I did.

The fuel system too.

RR

An update on the two V8 Jeep TJ's:

Both have changed hands twice since I sold them. The first one was from life changes with the owner and the second was lack of traction to complete the project. He basically ran out of steam and sold it as a project to another who has contacted me about the details of the engine harness and what needs to be done to make it drive since I sold it.

Will keep everyone posted and yes I asked the new owners for pictures of how they look now but as of yet, I haven't gotten any photos.

RR

Reactions: Squatch and Wildman