V8 Magnum Swap

Good luck. I just completed my 5.9 Magnum w/ AX15 5 speed swap in March. Mine is a '99. Better than I imagined.... Here are some pics... I wanted it to look as factory as I could. 1998 5.9 Magnum upgraded AX15 from Novak Conversions. Takes alot of research and patience, but well worth it in the end. Next up some 33's....

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

Hi! I have a 2001 TJ. Swapping in a V8 Magnum. Here for some information and inspiration. Was trying to message @RangerRick. I may not have those permissions yet, this being my first post. Thanks
Because you have a 2001 TJ you have a PCI dash as opposed to a CCD dash of the 1997-2000 models.
You need to make sure that your PCM for the engine comes from a newer Dakota.
Are you planning on running a manual transmission or automatic?
If you are going manual then you will need to find a PCM from a Dakota with a automatic and then send the PCM to B&G to get flashed for a manual transmission.

What sort of information are you looking for? @RangerRick just got done moving so he may not be on here much right now.

I have a 1997 TJ that I did a V-8 swap on in 2005. I'm in the process of rebuilding the Jeep right now.

Reactions: Jamison C
Good luck. I just completed my 5.9 Magnum w/ AX15 5 speed swap in March. Mine is a '99. Better than I imagined.... Here are some pics... I wanted it to look as factory as I could. 1998 5.9 Magnum upgraded AX15 from Novak Conversions. Takes alot of research and patience, but well worth it in the end.
Drool city. U didn't do a write up per chance, did you? If the stroker in my '98 dies, I'm going 5.9. I also am not a women and prefer a manual transmission. You mentioned an upgrade AX15 from Novak? I hadn't heard anything about those. I know there was a "Terminator" version out there once upon a time. Got any details?

Reactions: Blondie70
Drool city. U didn't do a write up per chance, did you? If the stroker in my '98 dies, I'm going 5.9. I also am not a women and prefer a manual transmission. You mentioned an upgrade AX15 from Novak? I hadn't heard anything about those. I know there was a "Terminator" version out there once upon a time. Got any details?

Curious what being a woman has to do with running a automatic transmission?
I love to row the gears also but due to injuries I have no choice to run a automatic.

Reactions: liquidfluidity
Just messing around. There are a few on here that tell everyone they are doing it wrong if they don't have or plan to swap to a slushbox. Just trying to goad them a bit 😉 I admit auto's have their place and can out perform manuals in some situations.

Reactions: Jim Byrne
Just messing around. There are a few on here that tell everyone they are doing it wrong if they don't have or plan to swap to a slushbox. Just trying to goad them a bit 😉 I admit auto's have their place and can out perform manuals in some situations.
I hated giving up the manual transmission in my TJ. But yes for some types of wheelin a slush box is better.
I figured it was a tongue in cheek comment. Had to flip some back.
:p

Because you have a 2001 TJ you have a PCI dash as opposed to a CCD dash of the 1997-2000 models.
You need to make sure that your PCM for the engine comes from a newer Dakota.
Are you planning on running a manual transmission or automatic?
If you are going manual then you will need to find a PCM from a Dakota with a automatic and then send the PCM to B&G to get flashed for a manual transmission.

What sort of information are you looking for? @RangerRick just got done moving so he may not be on here much right now.

I have a 1997 TJ that I did a V-8 swap on in 2005. I'm in the process of rebuilding the Jeep right now.
I called B&G previously and he said to get a PCM from a 01 to 03 Durango. I just picked one up yesterday from an 01. I have been debating on what tranmission to use. For daily driving I really enjoy the manual. For wheeling I tend to like the automatic better. The auto that came from my donor ZJ has a broken and cracked bellhousing. A used 44RE is alot cheaper and easier to find then a AX15. I had some questions about wiring and was thinking of hiring him to do it but after some research I think I can manage it. Thank you guys for the responses.

I called B&G previously and he said to get a PCM from a 01 to 03 Durango. I just picked one up yesterday from an 01. I have been debating on what tranmission to use. For daily driving I really enjoy the manual. For wheeling I tend to like the automatic better. The auto that came from my donor ZJ has a broken and cracked bellhousing. A used 44RE is alot cheaper and easier to find then a AX15. I had some questions about wiring and was thinking of hiring him to do it but after some research I think I can manage it. Thank you guys for the responses.

After having a 44RE in my Jeep I would suggest you run a 46RE instead. I burned up the clutches in my first 44RE and then right before my engine was overheating that made me park my TJ I was having shifting issues. But I was also running larger tires and can be a little heavy footed sometimes. But if it was me I'd just error on the side of caution and run a 46RE.

After having a 44RE in my Jeep I would suggest you run a 46RE instead. I burned up the clutches in my first 44RE and then right before my engine was overheating that made me park my TJ I was having shifting issues. But I was also running larger tires and can be a little heavy footed sometimes. But if it was me I'd just error on the side of caution and run a 46RE.
I had thought about a 46RE but that would put the starter on the drivers side and possible interference with front driveshaft? What size tires are you running? I have 35's. Biggest I would go in the near future would be 37's. I figured if an AX5 held up surely a 44RE would??

I had thought about a 46RE but that would put the starter on the drivers side and possible interference with front driveshaft? What size tires are you running? I have 35's. Biggest I would go in the near future would be 37's. I figured if an AX5 held up surely a 44RE would??

I don't have driveshaft clearance issues or I should say didn't have.
And I'm running a fat driveshaft with 1350 joints.

I started with 35" tires and then went to 38" tires. It might not have anything to do with the transmission going out.
The other thing is to look for rebuilt transmissions. Yes a little more money but you know that it's good.
My transmission was rebuilt and I had 3 years of driving on it when it started to act up with the shifting. It never got a chance to investigate the cause before the Jeep was parked.

I can try to find some driveshaft pictures when I get home.

The truck and Durango 46re does put the starter on the drivers side. I am only running a 2 inch lift with a high line to run 35s. No driveshaft interference.

The issue with the drivers side starter is exhaust. You can run a good block hugger( like Stans for 500 ) or a shitty block hugger like summits. I have been through 2 sets of summit headers, and just converted to a center dump manifold off a early 80s truck. I opened them up to 2 1/8 outlets and matched to ports to the magnum heads. Needed spacer plates to all work nice.

Went to the local sand hill this last weekend. Ran just as good with the manifolds as it did with the block huggers. 5600rpm in 1st gear high range at the top of the hill.

Point is, run iron manifolds if you can. Unless your headers have 30+ inch primaries, not worth it in my opinion.

Short headers are fine, you get what you pay for.

I'm not really sure where the myth of driveshaft clearance came from.
But I also didn't have any exhaust clearance issues. And I'm running a high pinion axle. But I have 5+" of lift.

I guess I got lucky with my headers. I don't know what brand they are but other than the chrome turning gray they are fine.
As Paul said unless you can find some medium to long tube headers iron exhaust manifolds are just as good. I have a pair of truck manifolds if you need some. But I can't say if they clear or not.
One of the things to look at is the placement of the motor mounts. Many people who run a manual transmission try to push the engine as close to the firewall as possible. I think this is where some of the clearance issues come from. My motor mounts are Advanced Adapters and are in the suggested position.