Just in case any forum members are interested,
The NV-241OR Rock-Trac I was initially looking at is still available, the seller still has it in Bakersfield CA. He wants $1500 for it and that seems to be about the going rate now these days for a low mileage unit. He has had it as a spare for the last 7 or 8 years in the garage. Photos show it is clean and has the rear harmonic dampener flange. They were made for only the last 4 years of TJ production in Rubicon models so not a ton of em out there. Ebay has several listed between $1850 & 2200 now, I think it's a bit too high for one IMHO. When you get to within $800 or less of a brand new Atlas, the choice becomes too obvious on what to run under your Jeep. JK variants won't work being they have no VSS sensor on the ouput housing.

I ended up going Atlas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
$1500 is a good deal for that NV 241OR, no doubt about it. I see some people asking $2000 or more for them, and that's when (or if) they even pop up for sale.

Reactions: RangerRick
20170830_101037.jpg
Working on the wiring these last few days.

Since I am using the 46RE automatic transmission and had a 4-cylinder engine originally, I decided to splice C103 & C104 into the ZJ's engine side harness and make the necessary alternator and ASD power circuit modifications rather than add all the injectors and re-pin the sensor plugs that changed between Jeep bodies.

Constant power, ignition switched power, grounds for the sensors, signal wires for the dash and fuel pump sender were added to the ZJ engine side harness at the appropriate spot. all splices were soldered together and taped up or heat shrink insulated for quality lifetime connections. I am about 2/3 done with the engine harness at this point. Just need to add the transmission control relay circuit and relay to the TJ underhood box, make a few more ground circuit connections, wire in the TJ's alternator harness field power + and - connections and then it will be on to replacing all the gaskets on the motor, then bolt everything up and slide it between the frame rails.
20170830_101032.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
After I get everything bolted in place I will temporarily connect the harness and try to start the Jeep with my newly blended harness. Things to check for will be gauges operational, no codes set and engine runs properly. I have a few ECM's to test that should be skim free (skim is the security system embedded in some computers that won't if activated allow the motor to run). Will know in a few weeks. Fingers crossed everything works okay!

Last edited:
Ok working on the wiring harness C103 & C104 have been integrated into the ZJ Grand Cherokee engine side harness. The fuel pump sender unit plug has been added, the ASD power, grounds and A/C switches or sensors have been added. I am working on the cruise control circuits to add in and have about four more things to wire. The TCR (Transmission Control Relay), has a spot in the underhood power distribution center. I also saved several relays from the ZJ as spares if one were to fail, I'd have a few on board spares. I have been mocking up A/C hoses and lines to figure what needs to be connected and how it will route along with adapting my OBW & OBA (On Board Welder, On Board Air Compressor).
20170820_103736.jpg

The Atlas II twin stick shifters that came with the transfer case were designed and setup for the previous owners XJ so I was going to try to adapt them for the TJ and bend/reweld them to come up theough the TJ Wrangler Rubicon console I installed. A 1" poly body lift is going on and flatter clocking for the TeraFlex tummy tucker. More pictures will follow soon.

Last edited:
Ordered an aluminum V8 conversion radiator last week, it arrived this evening on my porch. For the most part, I really like OEM radiators by their efficient design (large 1" tubes and aluminum core), except their plastic crimp-on tank design. In the past, I found an outfit that had aluminum replacement tanks available. I had a radiator shop that is no longer in business TIG weld them on to my factory TJ radiator core. However now with the conversion the outlets needed to be reversed and the bottom outlet larger diameter. So I hunted for a suitable replacement that also had RADIATOR FAN SHROUD attachment brackets. Many, in fact most import (and I say cheap import), aftermarket aluminum radiators don't have the proper brackets to re-attach the factory fan shroud. Most don't even have the proper geometry mounting brackets attached at all as I suspect this is because they are a "universal fit" core that get installed in several applications with different mounting tab brackets. In fact I believe the pictures on ebay and Amazon don't even accurately reflect what you will get in most cases and the vendors use "stock" photos that are very misleading! My V8 Magnum conversion will use an original ZJ mechanical thermo-clutch fan and a 4.0L shroud in original configuration for reliability and functionality. I don't want overheating issues PERIOD! I found a decent all TIG welded 3 row core radiator for V8 conversion that has the larger lower fitting and built in cooler in the lower tank patterned after a factory unit. In fact it looks like they tig welded aluminum tanks to a factory radiator except I know this isn't the case because of the "3 row cores". All factory TJ radiators had single core 1" extra large tubes, not two, three or four rows as the aftermarket units all seem to contain. There were a few cross flow radiators that intrigued me but I knew with one of those there would be a substantial amount of "customizing" the fan shroud to fit so it would never look "factory". I ruled these types out even if they may have been more efficient and had a larger core area size.
TJRad1.jpg

TJRad2.jpg

TJRad3.jpg

TJRad4.jpg
The above pictures are stock photos from their site but the actual radiator I received looks almost exactly the same. Notice the cooler fittings and the OEM style brackets welded to the radiator that have nutserts for the fan shroud mounting and the cutout for the A/C lines to pass in front of the radiator. All key reasons why I ordered this particular radiator over the others I've seen on the web. Price you ask? Just over $104 shipped to my door!

On another note,
The wiring harness is almost complete. I will try to document its construction very well when I get the chance because there is so little published information out there showing step-by-step or even explaining the process of blending two harnesses together to create one usable emissions legal harness. Everything has to work so it won't trip the MIL indicator and will get the Jeep through the stringent California BAR smog program without failing with something is amiss.
California emissions laws are actually quite straight forward if you follow these simple rules:

1. Any engine swap THE ENGINE has to be EQUAL TO OR NEWER THAN THE RECIPIENT VEHICLE.
2. Any engine swap motor has to be FROM A SIMILAR WEIGHT CLASS VEHICLE.
3. ALL emissions equipment MUST FUNCTION and OF THE TYPE THAT WAS ON THE DONOR MOTOR for it's certification to pass.
4. Any CHECK ENGINE or MIL (Maintenance Indicator Lamp) MUST BE FULLY FUNCTIONAL.
5 On OBD II vehicles with a diagnostic port, THE DIAGNOSTICS PORT MUST BE FUNCTIONAL.
6. Aftermarket emissions related parts MUST POSESS A CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS LEGAL OE TAG or STICKER that is traceable to the manufacturers CA Air Resources Board (CARB) approval letter.

In my swap, the ZJ Grand Cherokee had a LDP (Leak Detection Pump), whereas the TJ Wrangler in 1997 model year did not (1998 and up did have LDP). It used engine manifold vacuum to test and run the fuel vapor recovery system. In order to make my Jeep smog legal for CA, I added the LDP circuitry and parts. Thankfully, there is no EGR system on either the TJ or the ZJ for 1997 model years. I also made sure the Jeep ZJ Grand donor was built AFTER or is NEWER than the TJ Wrangler is. My TJ Wrangler, a 1997, was built on 3/1996. The ZJ Grand donor was built 7/1997, making it one of the last 1997's produced before the 1998 model year builds started in August of 1997. All this makes my engine swap completely legal in the eyes of both the state and the feds!

Again, in my endeavor to make this V8 conversion look as close as possible to a factory option install, I am also adding a few extras my Jeep didn't come with or weren't available options in my model year. One of the biggest add-on options is CRUISE CONTROL which didn't become a factory available option on any TJ Wrangler until the 1998 model year. Since I have parts from my old '98 TJ that I sold off, I had the emissions controls evaporative canister with LDP and solenoid, bracket and lines to retrofit since the ZJ body used an LDP and '97 TJ's did not, I had to add this for smog legality reasons. Also the cruise control cable actuator device mounts to this bracket on the drivers side fender as opposed to the ZJ where it was located on the passenger side fender well near the PDC. I am adding cruise wiring and the smog Leak Detection Pump wiring to the TJ and integrating them to the body harness side like Jeep had done. Instead of using a hacked up totally wrong layout 4-cylinder harness by adding 4 more injectors and changing all the sensor plug ends along with their locations, the decision was made to use the donor ZJ engine harness instead. This entailed changing or blending about a dozen things on the ZJ harness so it would mate to the TJ body harness for both power, dash indicator lamps such as the MIL lamp and the gauges that all run using the CCD twisted pair communications bus.

The following changes had to be made:

Removal of C-131 plug on the ZJ harness
Removal of C-132 plug on the ZJ harness
Integration of C-103 plug from the TJ harness into the ZJ engine harness
Integration of C-104 plug from the TJ harness into the ZJ engine harness
Integration of the generator harness from the TJ harness to the ZJ harness
Removal of the separate ZJ generator power harness and it's C-144 plug from the ZJ harness and motor
Integration of the Transmission Control Relay to the TJ Wrangler PDC on the passenger fender well into an unused relay & fuse spot.
Add a 15 amp fuse in the PDC for the above TCR circuit.
Add the wiring for the cruise control into the cab and under the hood in the TJ body harness.
Replace the '97 TJ Wrangler 4-cylinder ECM with a '98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 V8 Auto ECM.
Mount the evap. canister, bracket, LDP and cruise servo assembly to the drivers side fender and connect.

I re-used the 4WD indicator circuit out of the TJ and disconnected but did not remove the 4-wire 4WD-Low/AWD connector from the ZJ engine side harness because that would be too much work to un-loom and remove the extra few wires. They are electrically disconnected and the plug will remain loose, disconnected from anything.

On the ZJ Grand the fuel pump harness is separate and runs in the body of the vehicle. On the TJ, it is attached to the engine harness and crosses over to the frame to go back to the gas tank near the rear axle control arm frame side bracket on the drivers side. I left it independent from the ZJ engine harness as there was no reason to integrate the two as they can be run separate. The fuel pump sender goes through C-103 and so does power to the ECM along with the ASD (Automatic Shut Down relay). In the TJ, the A/C system runs through the C-104 10 pin connector and a separate connector comes from the ECM altogether. On the ZJ harness, the A/C circuit runs through the ECM and PDC separately because it is computer controlled by both the ECM and the BCM that runs the dash controls using the CCD bus. It is much more complicated, therefore I eliminated all the ZJ A/C wiring and kept the TJ climate control harness from C-104. It runs separately from the ZJ engine side harness for simplicity sake.

Plus a few more that will be detailed later.
Changing the ECM was reqired because the ZJ ECM had security in it tied into the BCM computer. Keeping the ZJ ECM would have required me to add the ZJ BCM somewhere to the TJ so it would allow the engine to start and stay running for more than 3 seconds or the ZJ ECM would have shut off believing that the Jeep was in anti-theft mode with the alarm triggered.

I cut the entire under hood harness out of the donor ZJ to get the proper wiring required for adding the transmission relay and cruise control.

I cut the factory TJ Wrangler harness up to re-use connectors C-103 & C-104. C-103 is a 16 pin connector and C-104 is a 10 pin connector.
I added a 3 pin connector to the TJ & ZJ harnesses so I could run some of the transmission control relay wiring through it and still make the entire engine side of the harness removable from the TJ body for separate service capability. If the drivetrain is ever removed, the harness can be unplugged from the ECM and body harness to remain with the engine side of things.

I will edit this some more soon........... It's not finished.

Last edited:
Man, I commend your efforts. I've been playing around with Garden Tractors for a few years, including a couple of engine swaps. Those wire harnesses can get a little complex, and they only have about 5-10 circuits! I can't image doing a whole vehicle like you are. Where do you get the information? You must have both factory service manuals to know which wires are for what...Keep it up, I'm enjoying following along.

2017-10-14 08.13.59.jpg
Man, I commend your efforts. I've been playing around with Garden Tractors for a few years, including a couple of engine swaps. Those wire harnesses can get a little complex, and they only have about 5-10 circuits! I can't image doing a whole vehicle like you are. Where do you get the information? You must have both factory service manuals to know which wires are for what...Keep it up, I'm enjoying following along.
Yes I do have both service manual sets. The full sets with all sections and the electronics connector and diagnostics book that covers all JTEC ECM and wiring for TJ Wrangler and ZJ Grand cherokee so I can compare the wiring on the same pages and all sensor circuits side by side. That book is the key to making it a lot less complicated!

Yeah, kudos to you on that wiring! The only part I ever fear when it comes to engine swaps and what not is wiring. I can solder really dang well, but I'm just no good at reading electrical diagrams and figuring it all out with a multimeter.

Some things would have been easier had the TJ Wrangler been a little newer. Example: Cruise control, the factory pre-wired 1998 and newer Wranglers for cruise but in an effort to quickly and early release the new 1997 TJ Wrangler, there were many options and accessories that were not added or installed until the later streamlining and review of production areas in the model line occurred late in 1997 for the 1998 model year. All early 1997 Wranglers did not get cruise wiring or security chip key capability wiring installed at all. No extra clock spring connection or steering column wiring installed. Not only that but the emissions control systems were vacuum operated and had no LDP or related wiring until the 1998 model year when Wrangler fell in line with all other JTEC engine management systems on Chrysler/Jeep vehicles. Again, TJ Wranglers had an extended over 18 month long production run starting in January 1996 until the end of July 1997.
I have added cruise circuits and LDP circuits to update and for convenience, also to avoid MIL lamp and emissions inspecting in CA. More details soon.....

Well today was a great day a friend came over and helped me swap transmissions, then install the engine between the frame rails. Everything went smoothly with swapping the transmission and torque convertor along with installing the AA Magnum V8 motor mounts on the engine. It took us about 4 hours to get everything in place and positioned and I gotta say the positioning using the factory dowel holes in the AA motor mounts put the engine in a perfect spot for the exhaust manifold clearance rear engine clearance and perfect distance for the V8 ZJ fan and 4.0L shroud to fit. I finished the engine harness 2 weeks ago and have been adding the additional TCR and cruise circuits to the Jeep side harness. This swap and build also includes the RockJock 60, Atlas II & 4 speed 46RE (A518), heavy duty 4 speed automatic. There will also be a tummy tuck performed and some armor along with the Genright long range desert crawler fuel tank system added. Wheelbase will be stretched slightly at the same time. Budget is still under 12 so definitely on a good track with the heart of a Limited GC powering it all.

Without further adeu....... Pictures!
20171104_165603.jpg

20171104_174753.jpg

20171104_174833.jpg

20171104_174816.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, nothing like seeing a V8 under the hood of a TJ, the way it should have been from the factory!

Well yesterday I was finally able to work on the TJ again and make significant forward progress on several fronts:

1. Installed the GenRight Desert Enduro 30 US gallon extended range aluminum fuel cell crawler fuel tank and armored skid plate system today.

2. Installed 90% of the blended wiring harness I built for the MOPAR Magnum V8 conversion including all engine sensor plugs, A/C wiring and part of the speed control wiring (cruise control) system.

The tempreture is way up close to 100 today and the humidity is around 85% with thunder clouds so I am waiting it out to continue progress today (Thursday).

The transmission control relay needs to be added to the underhiod PDC and an extra fuse added for the transmission, then I can add the cruise switches and make speed control fully functional. The fuel system has been connected up and is ready for a function check when the time comes. One of the beauties of this conversion is that the factory TJ fuel system is capable of supporting the Magnum V8 engines in all flavors except the 10 cylinder due to fuel line diameter for volume.

I also coated and painted the rear 1/3 of frame and cross members prior to crawler tank installation and re-installed the fuel filler neck with hoses and grounding strap. The factory fuel pump and sender assembly with sending unit and float fits in the crawler tank perfectly and a special wrench is provided for the clamping ring that screws down to hold it into the tank.

Pictures:
20180718_224442.jpg
20180718_224456.jpg
20180719_120434.jpg
20180719_120452.jpg
20180719_120503.jpg

Last edited:
Working on heater core hoses, throttle cable, T.V. kickdown cable, exhaust Y pipe & O2 sensors at this time. Also working on the Atlas II transfer case installation with the twin-stick handles coming up at the correct spot in the center console.

Reactions: JMT
The tummy tuck flat belly pan will also be part of the Atlas II install. Making maximum use of the 4" suspension system by keeping everything high & tightly tucked for a LCG build.

More updates tonight after I do some more....

Reactions: bobthetj03 and JMT
Today was another very good day,
Installed the 1" poly body mounts, Kilby body clamz frame mount armor for the frame brackets to keep them from getting mangled in the rocks.

I also installed the Atlas II transfer case and the Harbor Freight hydraulic lift cart saved the day on this one again! Good day it was.
20180720_190748.jpg
20180720_190548.jpg
20180720_190617.jpg
20180720_190613.jpg

I didn't know GenRight made a 30 gallon. I plan on purchasing their 24.5 gallon. I assume the 30 gallon must hang down a lot lower than the factory tank?