V8 swap exhaust

TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
Wrapping up my Magnum V8 swap finally and starting to look at what I want to do for an exhaust. From reading and watching things around on the internet a lot of people say a 3” exhaust does the Magnums well, but didn’t know if that would make much of a difference with the TJ’s shorter wheelbase. I’m running Summit’s block hugger headers (I have since read these might not be the best option, despite when doing all my research when starting this project that’s what everyone recommended and until someone else starts funding my projects they’ll stay on).

Also interested in what muffler people recommend. I want some growl and for it to sound good. Not wanting to be obnoxiously loud. I plan to road trip with my TJ and don’t want crazy drone. But I’ve had multiple diesel trucks that are straight piped that I road trip with so I’m willing to put up with some drone. What mufflers tuck up nicely under the TJ?

@Wildman and @Flyin' Ryan Performance are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that know the Magnum swap well, but anyone else can chime in even if their experience is with other V8’s on the TJ.

Please do not use anything less than a 3" single.

Not specific to swaps, I am a big fan of Borla, but I am a bit of an "exhaust snob"

I was going to recommend 2.25" from the headers into the Y pipe and then 2.5" back from there but I could be off. I'm curious Ryan why you say nothing less than a 3" single back? From the reading I'd done I'd figured the 3" was large enough for the 408 I'm building so it would seem to reason that a 3" would be too large for a 5.2 or stock 5.9.

I HOPE I didn't build mine to small.

Please do not use anything less than a 3" single.

Not specific to swaps, I am a big fan of Borla, but I am a bit of an "exhaust snob"
I’m with @Wildman not that I question @Flyin' Ryan Performance I just like to know the “why” behind things. Why nothing less than a 3”? I also wasn’t sure about clearances since I have a tummy tuck and the 241 TC.

I was going to recommend 2.25" from the headers into the Y pipe and then 2.5" back from there but I could be off. I'm curious Ryan why you say nothing less than a 3" single back? From the reading I'd done I'd figured the 3" was large enough for the 408 I'm building so it would seem to reason that a 3" would be too large for a 5.2 or stock 5.9.

I HOPE I didn't build mine to small.
Math......

• Love
Reactions: ColoJeep
300hp and up deserves 3" (single) pipe.

Reference fitment, I have 3" pipe and a Savvy TT. It does narrow down to 2.5" just before the rear axle though. Couldn't make it clear properly at full stuff with 3" pipe. I plan to go back and use a 3" oval transition to keep it 3" the whole way later.

Reactions: TreverStevens
300hp and up deserves 3" (single) pipe.

Reference fitment, I have 3" pipe and a Savvy TT. It does narrow down to 2.5" just before the rear axle though. Couldn't make it clear properly at full stuff with 3" pipe. I plan to go back and use a 3" oval transition to keep it 3" the whole way later.

I don't have a Savvy tummy tuck but I'd hate to try and get anything much larger under there.

I've done 4" & 5" exhaust on my diesel trucks but there is a LOT more room under a Ram pickup.