V8 Magnum Swap

Great info guys. Thank you. I will concur on the electric fan use. I thought I would be a cool kid and put and electric fan in a CJ I had once and it was NOT as efficient as the stock fan WITH shroud. So I plan to use the ZJ fan and the internet tells me I can use a 4.O shroud with it. The wiring, I have been scouring the internet and found the pin outs for the donor, TJ and Durango ECM. I think it's just gonna come down to me tearing into it and then once I get a idea of what is going on I will have more definitive questions. One disappointment is that the ZJ I bought was supposed to be a 96' but no it's a 94'.

I have only had one wiring issue with my electric fan but it was because of my overheating problem NOT the fan or wiring. The fan had ran almost non-stop all day and the fuse popped BUT fused together and then the wiring burnt up.
On my brass radiator I have a Black Magic fan and it has 3,000 cfm so it cools very well. Only time will tell if it will be enough for my engine but if not I'll get a aluminum radiator. By AA's instructions you are suppose to be able to use a mechanical fan with their mounts in their suggested position.

Reactions: rustybottoms88
I have only had one wiring issue with my electric fan but it was because of my overheating problem NOT the fan or wiring. The fan had ran almost non-stop all day and the fuse popped BUT fused together and then the wiring burnt up.
On my brass radiator I have a Black Magic fan and it has 3,000 cfm so it cools very well. Only time will tell if it will be enough for my engine but if not I'll get a aluminum radiator. By AA's instructions you are suppose to be able to use a mechanical fan with their mounts in their suggested position.
Is AA assuming your using the stock Jeep radiator? I bought a 4 row aluminum "V8 swap" radiator and it's to thick. I did a test fit of the engine and radiator with the engine mounts clapped in and the radiator is contacting the clutch fan.

Is AA assuming your using the stock Jeep radiator? I bought a 4 row aluminum "V8 swap" radiator and it's to thick. I did a test fit of the engine and radiator with the engine mounts clapped in and the radiator is contacting the clutch fan.

No AA is assuming you are using a radiator that isn't that thick. They use to sell a brass & aluminum radiator but now only sell a aluminum radiator. Unless you are making TONS of heat you should only need a 2 row radiator.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...7-2006-jeep-with-gm-v8-built-in-trans-cooler/
Expensive BUT their quality is normally above par. As they say you get what you pay for. I've read where some have had no issues getting the mechanical fan to work and were others like you couldn't get it to fit right.

Rusty you were asking about driveline clearance before. Here is a picture of a V-8 swapped into a TJ with a HP30 and Rubicon springs (1" lift). I had read if you have a HP30 that you need to have a lift on the Jeep to clear the starter.

1593894228176.png

Since I have a Durango ECM should I get a Durango wiring harness or the Dakota?

IMHO that doesn't matter but I would get a wiring harness from the same year as the PCM. For what I know the Ram/Dakota/Durango are all the same when it comes to the engine wiring harness. Since you have the PCI just make sure that the wiring harness is from a vehicle that has PCI also.

Rusty you were asking about driveline clearance before. Here is a picture of a V-8 swapped into a TJ with a HP30 and Rubicon springs (1" lift). I had read if you have a HP30 that you need to have a lift on the Jeep to clear the starter.

View attachment 174557
It looks like he moved the mounts up on the frame Abit. I am really impressed with how much room there is between the firewall and the radiator.

Reactions: PirataCoqui
It looks like he moved the mounts up on the frame Abit. I am really impressed with how much room there is between the firewall and the radiator.

Yes he said he had raised them up about 1.5" or a little more.

I'd be worried about clearance between the hood and engine if it was raised too much.

You said you don't have room for the mechanical fan? Is that the GC fan clutch on the engine? It looks like it is farther forward than mine but I am not sure.
Yes ZJ fan clutch. No room with the 4 row radiator. I had to unbolt rad support rods and lean it forward to get it in there.
IMG_20200703_183049.jpg

Is there any situation where you would use the ECM from the donor vehicle? I have an 01 TJ with a 2.5, I can get a 03 Durango with 5.9 magnum, auto and 4wd ?
Im thankful for all the wiring tips and links that have been posted, Wiring is the fear holding me from starting.

Is there any situation where you would use the ECM from the donor vehicle? I have an 01 TJ with a 2.5, I can get a 03 Durango with 5.9 magnum, auto and 4wd ?
Im thankful for all the wiring tips and links that have been posted, Wiring is the fear holding me from starting.

You use the PCM from the donor vehicle to run the motor. What makes the Dodge magnum V-8 such a easy swap is that the Dodge PCM mounts in the same spot as the Jeep PCM and because Jeep is a Chrysler product the PCM talks to the Jeep dash just like the Jeep PCM did.
IMG00871[1].jpg

And in Jeep & Dodge rigs it's a PCM instead of a ECM.

IMG00871[1].jpg

Reactions: Paul Ruggles
Yes you have to use the ECM from the donor vehicle. It’s programmed to operate the 5.9 and 44re.

You use the PCM from the donor vehicle to run the motor. What makes the Dodge magnum V-8 such a easy swap is that the Dodge PCM mounts in the same spot as the Jeep PCM and because Jeep is a Chrysler product the PCM talks to the Jeep dash just like the Jeep PCM did.
Lol we commented at the same time.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman