Purposely Neglected Repairs / Replacement

I have the part number scribbled down and ready to buy but honestly I think id rather pull the transmission and replace the clutch for no reason than do the heater core even though it needs to be done.
Its a completely ridiculous situation for sure. Put a crap heater core - that's notorious for failing - in an impossible to get at pain in the ass location. Hell, if you gotta take the entire dash out anyway, you might as well replace that plastic crap with one of those metal ones!

Reactions: MeanGreen86
I bought my jeep 4 years ago and the front driver side inner axle seal is still leaking. However this weekend has finally come . My driver side u-joint is shot. I caught it before it came apart. I was waiting because I wanted to do a locker at the same time as the seals but not there yet. Anyway, to the end of a leak!

my TJ had a dent about 2"x 1.5" perfectly centered on the hood, just forward of the front of the hood bulge. It had damaged the paint, but left the primer, so it wasn't rusting, and the shade of primer was close enough to Forest Green Pearl that it really wasn't obvious until you were standing right in front of it and might not have even shown in a black & white photo. It always bothered me, just never enough to do anything about it.

I sold it yesterday, so it's no longer in my hands.

Last edited:
Its a completely ridiculous situation for sure. Put a crap heater core - that's notorious for failing - in an impossible to get at pain in the ass location. Hell, if you gotta take the entire dash out anyway, you might as well replace that plastic crap with one of those metal ones!
I am looking into spending a bit more for one of them custom copper and brass exchangers. just dont want to do it. from what I understand im gonna have to recover my 134a then pull. replace the accumulator, pull vacuum, recharge. I can do it. I just dont want to. my ac works good and typically auto ac, once you touch it its a never ending recharge every year.

I am looking into spending a bit more for one of them custom copper and brass exchangers. just dont want to do it. from what I understand im gonna have to recover my 134a then pull. replace the accumulator, pull vacuum, recharge. I can do it. I just dont want to. my ac works good and typically auto ac, once you touch it its a never ending recharge every year.
I feel your pain. Its times like this that I wish I'd gotten a CJ!

Well...
I'm bad at doing state inspections on my own shit because...well...I don't make money off self.

My Excursion and others have been out for many months. 😯
Shit, my wife's Cherokee Trailhawk expired back in April of 2020. Because registration is every 2 years, I'm just waiting until April this year since I didn't notice it until last summer. Thanks COVID!!

I have the part number scribbled down and ready to buy but honestly I think id rather pull the transmission and replace the clutch for no reason than do the heater core even though it needs to be done.
Huh? Thats gravy train.

Try doing a heater core on a 2006 Malibu. 8 hour job in the book. More like 9 legit...

Someone at GM deserves to die over that.

Just saying

Huh? Thats gravy train.

Try doing a heater core on a 2006 Malibu. 8 hour job in the book. More like 9 legit...

Someone at GM deserves to die over that.

Just saying

When I was a Toyota tech (around 2002), the guys would bitch to no end about warranty jobs on Camry evaporators. It would take something like 12 hours but Toyota only paid 8. The exact numbers might not be exact but it was about a 50% difference. I was young and not trained to the level of a dealer tech so fortunately I never got that kind of work as I was mostly doing brakes/steering/suspension, tires, oil changes, etc.

When I was a Toyota tech (around 2002), the guys would bitch to no end about warranty jobs on Camry evaporators. It would take something like 12 hours but Toyota only paid 8. The exact numbers might not be exact but it was about a 50% difference. I was young and not trained to the level of a dealer tech so fortunately I never got that kind of work as I was mostly doing brakes/steering/suspension, tires, oil changes, etc.
It's absolutely astounding to me some of the dumb fuck designs on these vehicles.

They all have their retarded ideas. Mopar, GM, Ford..
Etc.

The European stuff is actually not bad. It gets a bad rap because it might have some strange fasteners on something that nobody else has but by and large they're pretty friendly. Korean stuff is easy too..mostly.

GM is probably the worst of the bunch though. Stupid shit like the horseshoe spring in the rear drum of silverado trucks...
Opti spark right UNDER the water pump and right there sitting pretty for a puddle splash. 🙄

Northstar V8's Cadillac and Olds..

But again thiugh they've all got their short bus engineers who get a lot of money for the dumbest designs.

Climate control on a Lexus RX...

A 2016 Audi that you still can't confidently install a remote start without worry of cold fusion happening under the dash...

Jeep insisting on using marginally at best manual trannies. Looking at you getrag and AX-5, t4, t5, SR4 🙄🙄🙄

It's absolutely astounding to me some of the dumb fuck designs on these vehicles.

They all have their retarded ideas. Mopar, GM, Ford..
Etc.

The European stuff is actually not bad. It gets a bad rap because it might have some strange fasteners on something that nobody else has but by and large they're pretty friendly. Korean stuff is easy too..mostly.

GM is probably the worst of the bunch though. Stupid shit like the horseshoe spring in the rear drum of silverado trucks...
Opti spark right UNDER the water pump and right there sitting pretty for a puddle splash. 🙄

Northstar V8's Cadillac and Olds..

But again thiugh they've all got their short bus engineers who get a lot of money for the dumbest designs.

Climate control on a Lexus RX...

A 2016 Audi that you still can't confidently install a remote start without worry of cold fusion happening under the dash...

Jeep insisting on using marginally at best manual trannies. Looking at you getrag and AX-5, t4, t5, SR4 🙄🙄🙄

A Mini is probably an extreme example with that tiny front end but it just about cured me of ever buying another Euro car. I had an E90 BMW that I didn't particularly enjoy changing spark plugs or headlights on, but at least those things don't happen that often and the oil changes were easy. In either case, I didn't like the fact that every system on the car was controlled by a different computer module when switches and relays have been doing just fine for decades. That's probably not europe-exclusive anymore, but back in 2008 it seemed that way. I've still never owned a vehicle newer than 2010 which means I've never owned a backup camera or a touchscreen infotainment center.

I've resigned to paying for my wife's 4runner to get the oil changed because when they updated the 4.0 V6 for the 5th gen, they moved the top-mounted spin-on oil filter to a bottom-mounted cartridge that's impossible to change without running hot oil down your arm.

My college roommate had a Z28 Camaro, last year of the LT1 that liked to have opti spark issues. I remember the Northstars too.

I had a first-gen Ford Taurus SHO that I had to pull the intake manifold in order to change the plug wires because the boots were too big to fit between the manifold and the valve cover.

Bringing focus back to the TJ - who decided on the orientation of the driver side motor mount bolt that has to be cut off or removed from the block? They were clearly thinking about factory assembly and not at all considering serviceability.

It's easy to blame the engineers but the truth is they don't get carte blanche to design a vehicle. They get a set of feature, performance, cost, and safety requirements from a marketing/product management team that probably knows jack crap about the real nuts and bolts behind producing a car, and the engineers are forced to meet those requirements on top of being hounded about "speed to market". And it has to be right for launch or they get to answer for a costly recall for a problem they won't even know exists until there are tens of thousands of them already out there and on the road - so though it drives me crazy I can't blame them too much for putting less focus on how easy it is to take apart.

I disagree. Ask Jerry B about the biodegradable wiring on his BMW, or the defective cam chain idler gear on my MB, not covered by warranty or class action suit.

It's easy to blame the engineers but the truth is they don't get carte blanche to design a vehicle.

I do agree with this.

I drove for four years with no heat after my heater core rotted out. Daily driver in Pennsylvania winters. Got used to it, except when it was single digits out doing 75 on the highway with a soft top. Finally replaced it when I had to rebuild the engine. Pulled the whole dash to repaint it and replaced the cores while I was at it.

Reactions: Zorba and Paparock1
Painting/coating my winch. It's been like this for a few years. I removed the blistered coating from the bare spots. I've been avoiding this job because haven't been motivated to tackle the prep work. Thanks to this thread I did email Warn for the decal set p/n and cost. Eh, we'll see what happens.

20210301_140045.jpg