Putting Ole Blue back together!

Have a decent in-line filter in your set-up? Moisture and/or oil contamination can happen without one. Just a thought. You're doing a bang-up job, by the way. Can't wait to see the finished product!

What da??? Painting just needs a dish soap and warm water to clean the surface. Whoever advised you to use a tar - wax remover needs a paddle in the butt.

Actually using wax and grease remover is a common practice, in fact the product data sheet indicates it’s usage. My problem was I went cheap and didn’t use the stuff recommended by the manufacture.[emoji849]
cb01d9e358a042f35888226e7f9b0044.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kid you not, I never use anything but a dish soap and rinse washed it with warm water. I used a denatured alcohol at one time for the hood. It is a big waste of money. But good luck, lot's of elbow grease ahead of you. Better yet, "grease free" elbow :)

Last edited:
Have a decent in-line filter in your set-up? Moisture and/or oil contamination can happen without one. Just a thought. You're doing a bang-up job, by the way. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks for the advise and compliment! I actually plumbed my 60 gal air compressor just for this job. It has about 50 ft of pipe slanted back to water two water drops at each end, then I have two water/particle filters and finally a devilbiss desicant moisture filter. Honestly I had counted getting it painted yesterday. As summer break is upon us and my family has lots of summer activities planned, I'm not sure I can get back to it anytime soon.

Reactions: Squatch
I kid you not, I never use anything but a dish soap and rinse washed it with warm water. I used a denatured alcohol at one time for the hood. It is a big waste of money.
I used dawn dish washing soap, but unfortunately chased it with the wax and grease remover. I may go with your plan next time! I did see the eastwood guy used an aerosol window cleaner followed by 70% alcohol, it worked for him. I just hate to pay $20-30 a quart for the stuff that PPG recommends!

I think ole Earl could hook me up![emoji6]

Not sure I'd let ol' Earl paint my fence!!! :D

True story: A guy who worked with me about thirty years ago had a big '73 Cadillac Coupe deVille. He took it into Earl Sheib's for their $119 paint job (prices had gone up, apparently). When he got it back, they had completely painted his vinyl landau top with the same paint they used on the body, and...I shit you, not...they had painted over a big ol' maple leaf that had landed on the hood of the car! LOL He said when he took it back to them to get the hood fixed, the painter claimed he didn't see it. We must've razzed the car's owner about that for weeks. Good stuff...

Not sure I'd let ol' Earl paint my fence!!! :D

True story: A guy who worked with me about thirty years ago had a big '73 Cadillac Coupe deVille. He took it into Earl Sheib's for their $119 paint job (prices had gone up, apparently). When he got it back, they had completely painted his vinyl landau top with the same paint they used on the body, and...I shit you, not...they had painted over a big ol' maple leaf that had landed on the hood of the car! LOL He said when he took it back to them to get the hood fixed, the painter claimed he didn't see it. We must've razzed the car's owner about that for weeks. Good stuff...
Earl didn't say he'd paint it right for $99.95, just paint it, period.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I know you're way ahead of the game here but SPI is an excellent company that specializes in primers and clears. Just for reference. Excellent prices and shipped straight to your door (if you can wait 2-3 days for it) from Georgia. https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

I've used their products along with their wax & grease remover and PPG paints without any problems. Best part is Barry the owner will answer calls literally anytime of the day and help with stupid questions like mixing and paint gun setups. Helped me out a ton on all my little projects over the years.

I know you're way ahead of the game here but SPI is an excellent company that specializes in primers and clears. Just for reference. Excellent prices and shipped straight to your door (if you can wait 2-3 days for it) from Georgia. https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

I've used their products along with their wax & grease remover and PPG paints without any problems. Best part is Barry the owner will answer calls literally anytime of the day and help with stupid questions like mixing and paint gun setups. Helped me out a ton on all my little projects over the years.

I’ll definitely check them out! Thanks for the advise.

Earl Sheib, Cal Worthington, Jack Roberts, Dick Balch, Vern Fonk...man, there were some weird commercials out there!
Old Earl did pretty good for himself...in 1999 his company had $55.1 million in sales, had it's HQ on Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills, had a 45 acre farm and had a race horse that earned him $1.4 million in earnings.....not bad for a paint job that stated at $29.95

Old Earl did pretty good for himself...in 1999 his company had $55.1 million in sales, had it's HQ on Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills, had a 45 acre farm and had a race horse that earned him $1.4 million in earnings.....not bad for a paint job that stated at $29.95
Yep. No doubt about it, he was a savvy businessman. And remember Cal Worthington? He was a decorated war hero. Check out what Wikipedia says about him. It's pretty cool.

Reactions: jeepersoutpost