Quality light bar recommendations?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I'm looking for a light bar for my TJ to go over the windshield.

If you know me, you'll know I don't cheap out or buy low quality parts. That being said, I'm looking for something that is high quality with good light output.

KC makes some that are $1500 to $2000, but that feels like it may be too much for simply a light bar.

Curious what others are running, how they're holding up, and how the light output is.

I'm looking for a light bar for my TJ to go over the windshield.

If you know me, you'll know I don't cheap out or buy low quality parts. That being said, I'm looking for something that is high quality with good light output.

KC makes some that are $1500 to $2000, but that feels like it may be too much for simply a light bar.

Curious what others are running, how they're holding up, and how the light output is.
Did you get hacked?

All my lighting is Rigid and came from the PO. Radiance series, expensive shit. Super bright and still working. Installed in 2016. I have a 50" bar, 2 cubes, and 6 rock lights. Trucklite headlights. I would recommend it, but I wouldn't spend my own money on it. The light bar has helped in recovery during night runs. Lights up the woods like daytime.

IMG_6065.JPG

All my lighting is Rigid and came from the PO. Radiance series, expensive shit. Super bright and still working. Installed in 2016. I have a 50" bar, 2 cubes, and 6 rock lights. Trucklite headlights. I would recommend it, but I wouldn't spend my own money on it. The light bar has helped in recovery during night runs. Lights up the woods like daytime.

View attachment 278537

I'll check out Rigid. I'm mostly interested in a light bar for night time wheeling in the desert. My KC LED headlights and fog lights are bright, but adding a light bar will be a game changer.

Reactions: ColoJeep
I understand they look stupid, I'm only interested from a functional stand point (i.e. good light output for dark desert wheeling).

do what you think is best for you, but if there's any dust in the air at all, what's over your hood will light up like daylight and you won't be able to see for crap. I'm strongly of the opinion that lights should never go above the windshield hinges. Same principle as not using high beams when it's foggy.

I understand they look stupid, I'm only interested from a functional stand point (i.e. good light output for dark desert wheeling).

Put a light bar on top of your winch guard. Everyone I know that has had a windshield mounted light has HATED it. Wind noise if terrible and it shines off your hood. If you want a light a little higher then do the windshield hinge mounts.

I'll check out Rigid. I'm mostly interested in a light bar for night time wheeling in the desert. My KC LED headlights and fog lights are bright, but adding a light bar will be a game changer.
They whistle due to the cooling fins, like from 5mph up. I have a couple rolls of small door edge rubber (ordered to much and forgot to send it back to Amazon in time). It fixed it 100%. Will send you a roll if you buy a bar with fins. Super annoying.

It was windy at the off-road park one day and mine was whistling while sitting still with the engine off. I finally decided to do something about it.

Put a light bar on top of your winch guard. Everyone I know that has had a windshield mounted light has HATED it. Wind noise if terrible and it shines off your hood. If you want a light a little higher then do the windshield hinge mounts.

That's not a bad idea.

I've never had a vehicle with a light bar mounted over the window, so I can't speak to any of the negative effects. However, I do have plenty of room on the winch guard.

Reactions: Wildman
That's not a bad idea.

I've never had a vehicle with a light bar mounted over the window, so I can't speak to any of the negative effects. However, I do have plenty of room on the winch guard.

Then make some nice clamp on brackets that you can mount a 20" light bar to.

Reactions: Chris
Rigid makes a great product, but I don't care as much for the shape of em. If/when I put a light bar over my windshield, it'll be a Pro6. I like the retro round look on our jeeps.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
That's not a bad idea.

If you are moving slow and want to light up a large area, they are great. Huge pool of light, but they will show you all the dust in the air. I have used mine several times with great results, but like I said, if it wasn't already on the Jeep when I got it I never would have bought it myself.

Some lights on the bumper turned out slightly would cover the sides of the road better also I'd think.

Reactions: reddvltj
I have a 40in curved Heretic studios light bar and I cant complain about and I also have Baja Designs both great lights at 2 different price points