Quarantine Sanity

Smart move. I have lived in upstate SC for 15 years now. I've lived in NM, AZ and Southern Ca - the dry climate is much more to my preference. The humidity here BLOWS!

That said, there is some very nice outdoor stuff to do around here, you just have to deal with the summer humidity.

How is it aside from the summers? The summer here is brutal, but being that it’s dry, it’s much more manageable.

How is it aside from the summers? The summer here is brutal, but being that it’s dry, it’s much more manageable.
The summers here can be brutal but because of the humidity at 90+ deg. We get a half dozen or so days per year with temperatures over 100deg. Those days are humid too. So, it's just a trade off - I'll take hot and dry over hot and humid any day of the week.

The humidity comes and goes during the winter but the temperatures are generally mild (the daily high temperatures are only infrequently below freezing). In Greenville, where I live, we might have 1 snow event per year which quickly turns to ice or simply melts away. I've ridden my bicycle (road, gravel or MTB) year round. There is plenty of rain though throughout the year. It's really not a bad place, especially considering the outdoor activities. I've not done a lot of wheeling out here, but awesome for bicycling, whitewater or flatwater paddling, trail running / hiking. Even some great roads for motorcycling or driving a sporty machine. Lots of hunters out here as well and I think enough areas (and wildlife) to hunt to keep them satisfied.

It's totally different from out west though - hiking out here, even in such a beautiful place as the Smoky mountains often pales in comparison to hiking almost anywhere out west. There's just too many trees that block the view. Hey, trees are great, but after a long hike / run up a mountain (or hill as the case may be), the view is the reward. Out here you don't always get that.

I lived in Phoenix in late '87 / early '88, then back after a summer of hiking to attend a vocational school late '88 to mid '90. I grew up in NM so the desert SW is home to me.

Reactions: Chris