Question about running 35s with a 2" lift

I'll chime in...

The OP (seems like back in Vietnam) was asking if it was possible to run 35's on a 2" lift with some added clearance fenders.

What he or she got was a scolding and the ruler across the patties.

I can understand the frustration of Ontario to some degree because the OP didn't ask if his rig would be perfect and ready for the Top Truck Challenge or a rig to tackle all black trails in 2 wheel drive high unlocked.

Just simply...a 2" lift with the metal cloaks...can 35's fit? The OP already stated the build would be a work in progress.

In fact they can fit. Now I'm sure rhe OP didn't need the 800 disclaimers because honestly there might 1 percent of posters who's rig is done being built and perfect. These are all a work in progress and finding out what is good, bad and ugly to each individual...differing between individuals.

Good day

We have different ideas of what it means to fit a tire.

Awesome, another fucktard from north of the border. Why does it always have to be a fucktard from north of the borde

I'll chime in...

The OP (seems like back in Vietnam) was asking if it was possible to run 35's on a 2" lift with some added clearance fenders.

I can understand the frustration of Ontario to some degree because the OP didn't ask if his rig would be perfect and ready for the Top Truck Challenge or a rig to tackle all black trails in 2 wheel drive high unlocked.

Just simply...a 2" lift with the metal cloaks...can 35's fit? The OP already stated the build would be a work in progress.

In fact they can fit. Now I'm sure rhe OP didn't need the 800 disclaimers because honestly there might 1 percent of posters who's rig is done being built and perfect. These are all a work in progress and finding out what is good, bad and ugly to each individual...differing between individuals.

Good day
Thank you. Yes I came across as a little arrogant but that's because most people on this forum will tell me to just lift it. Not realizing how much that actually costs up here in Canada. I'm wanting to build my rig the right way. But also with saving a buck or two where I can

Thank you. Yes I came across as a little arrogant but that's because most people on this forum will tell me to just lift it. Not realizing how much that actually costs up here in Canada. I'm wanting to build my rig the right way. But also with saving a buck or two where I can
The cost of parts is irrelevant to function. It all works the same. How you go about solving the problem of function is an entirely different discussion and can easily accommodate the cost of parts.

At the end of the day, you either have a function that is equal or greater than stock or equal or less than stock. People can LCoG all they want to, but if a detail is less than stock capability then there is a loss of performance. The same can and should be applied to a lifted Jeep, too. This is an exercise in balances and compromises.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I'll chime in...

Good day

I didn't see a scolding...

but as a jeep newb, if I were to come on and ask questions like op did, I'd want to see all the disclaimers. I've never built or lifted anything before. If I ask if I can fit 35s on a 2", I want to know that "sure, they'll fit, buuut.... xyz." much cheaper than finding out those "buts" by myself.

These kinds of questions go beyond simple yes/no answers.

Reactions: LincolnJr

but as a jeep newb, if I were to come on and ask questions like op did, I'd want to see all the disclaimers. I've never built or lifted anything before. If I ask if I can fit 35s on a 2", I want to know that "sure, they'll fit, buuut.... xyz." much cheaper than finding out those "buts" by myself.

Lmao I am far from a noob

We have different ideas of what it means to fit a tire.
Not really. You're just choosing to impose your opinion on a poster who only asked if they could simply fit a 35 with a 2" and some better clearing fenders. I read the OP's COMPLETE post and the OP seemed crystal to me that their build would be a work in progress. Where I come from that indicates acknowledgment the Jeep will be far from perfect. The OP admission of the type of 4 wheeling would be "extremely mild"
If the OP is lying and secretly wants to take this off roading on the most gnarly of trails that's on them. They'd encounter a myriad of issues trying to do that with a 2", MC's and 35's.....but by their unasked admission stated that wouldn't be the case. I'll take their word for it.

Fair e
ha, I definitely am though!

Didn't mean that in a bad way either, more or less just in general, anyone who comes here with a question is looking for advice from someone that knows more about it than they do haha.
Fair enough, there are plenty of people out there who know more than me

Uuummmm....

That's exactly the point. Show me how many people on that question eons ago simply said yes, you can fit 35's with that set up but take note if you expect your Jeep to do xyz...you'll run into these issues etc.

I see many replies of saying don't ever think of a 35 tire unless you're spending 10k or your Jeep won't be able to stop at all ...or ...or...or...

The OP to me seemed at a minimum to be a reader of mags abd or forums. The question of the SYE indicates they're at least semi knowledgeable of some of these things in the Jeeping world.

I echo again though the OP without being under any kind of forum duress admitted the extent of the off roading would be mild. "Extremely mild" to be quite exact.
Yet the replies they get are telling them they need to be 10k rich or their axles will break by osmosis from 35" tire day dreaming.

We have people on this forum spanning the globe that do all sorts of differing terrain. Moreover what one might consider a tough trail might be extremely easy to another.
Self experience and trial and error are what built this hobby. There is no perfect rig out there but the ultimate goal is your Jeep being perfect to you and what you do with it. That's all that matters....IMO

If you don't like experienced opinions being offered in forum threads and believe everyone should instead bless every plan described then you have entirely missed the most attractive purpose of forums like this. Big boys can take differences of opinions... and hopefully learn something in the process.

This world is in an unfortunate phase of handing participation trophies out to everyone to make them all feel good instead of winner's trophies to those who actually deserve them.

In other words, disagreements bring out the best plans and designs. Blessing and praising every plan offered does not.
L O L

That's rich. Big boy...LOL

I coached football for a long time at a very high level. My record spoke for itself. 2 years shy of 20. Why did I stop? The me first mindset and coddling need was too much. I couldn't deal with the pussification any longer. It wasn't the young adults fault but rather their idiot parents who instilled a self serving attitude in them. Please spare me your anemic attempt of describing society today. Let me know when you find the 30 hour day and I'll gladly go down that road with ya.

Jerry it was a simple question. With better clearing fenders and a 2" lift can they fit 35's. Yes or no.

Instead of just answering that and allowing them to be a big boy you're going to hold their hand with one of yours and grab the spoon with the other.

Then twist this around like someone can't be a big boy yet you dare not allow them to be that big boy. Alrighty then!!!

• Face Palm
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Not really. You're just choosing to impose your opinion on a poster who only asked if they could simply fit a 35 with a 2" and some better clearing fenders. I read the OP's COMPLETE post and the OP seemed crystal to me that their build would be a work in progress. Where I come from that indicates acknowledgment the Jeep will be far from perfect. The OP admission of the type of 4 wheeling would be "extremely mild"
If the OP is lying and secretly wants to take this off roading on the most gnarly of trails that's on them. They'd encounter a myriad of issues trying to do that with a 2", MC's and 35's.....but by their unasked admission stated that wouldn't be the case. I'll take their word for it.

The factory shock travels on a stock TJ are about 7.5" roughly divided in half from ride height. Do you agree or disagree that when building and modifying a TJ, one should try to maintain that as a minimum baseline?

Last edited:
Jerry it was a simple question. With better clearing fenders and a 2" lift can they fit 35's. Yes or no.

The chances of success are highly dependent on which fenders are selected. Remember the criteria I set regarding shock travels. This also includes the tires clearing with minimal rub at full stuff full steering lock.

Last edited:
If your gonna only put 1/2 the recommended lift, the rest would have to come off the body.

Reactions: jjvw
I see many replies of saying don't ever think of a 35 tire unless you're spending 10k or your Jeep won't be able to stop at all ...or ...or...or...

Yet the replies they get are telling them they need to be 10k rich or their axles will break by osmosis from 35" tire day dreaming.

the ultimate goal is your Jeep being perfect to you and what you do with it. That's all that matters....IMO
You're tough to keep up with, you know that right?

1. You rail for pages about "spacers" being un-safe and your reasoning....is people don't keep up with maintenance.
2. You rail about inspecting, and that OEM is "right" for a reason.

THEN
You state 35's without the right brakes to actually stop the massively heavier tires with exponentially higher centrifugal force being run on a rig that was built for 30" tires ......ummmmmm is right, which is it???? You're against completely safe spacers (no one suggested not maintaining them) but you're for 35's on stock brakes?

You also completely discount 35's on axles' "by osmosis" by the way, not sure you know the definition of that word. You keep stating "Mild Wheeling".

My 16 year old son pulled our 2005 Jeep TJ....running 33" tires (not even 35's) and pulled out of a parking lot at the park.....on asphalt.....and the rear driver's side OEM/Stock axle snapped. In the TJ setup, and I'm sure you know this, if it snapped when he made a turn on a road doing 35 mph......Yeah, that's safe? That's okay? Breaking stock axles on pavement let alone mild wheeling, is very real.

When someone says they want to do something, that even done correctly, is not good, I appreciate that guys like @mrblaine or @Jerry Bransford are pointing out how stupid it is, or that I'm setting my 16 year old up to lose a freaking wheel and have it slide out, I wish I would have known when I bought him the TJ.

"CAN" you....as you've referenced the OP....yes you can mount 35's on a TJ with 2" lift and cut the fenders....sure, you can bolt them on....but it's stupid. Sucks that the parts are expensive up there, but it's still dumb. You can get cheap parts and do it cheaper, and get what you pay for, and that's 100% a doable and nothing to be embarrassed about, sometimes you get what you can.

Reactions: Elyse8743
You're tough to keep up with, you know that right?

1. You rail for pages about "spacers" being un-safe and your reasoning....is people don't keep up with maintenance.
2. You rail about inspecting, and that OEM is "right" for a reason.

THEN
You state 35's without the right brakes to actually stop the massively heavier tires with exponentially higher centrifugal force being run on a rig that was built for 30" tires ......ummmmmm is right, which is it???? You're against completely safe spacers (no one suggested not maintaining them) but you're for 35's on stock brakes?

You also completely discount 35's on axles' "by osmosis" by the way, not sure you know the definition of that word. You keep stating "Mild Wheeling".

My 16 year old son pulled our 2005 Jeep TJ....running 33" tires (not even 35's) and pulled out of a parking lot at the park.....on asphalt.....and the rear driver's side OEM/Stock axle snapped. In the TJ setup, and I'm sure you know this, if it snapped when he made a turn on a road doing 35 mph......Yeah, that's safe? That's okay? Breaking stock axles on pavement let alone mild wheeling, is very real.

When someone says they want to do something, that even done correctly, is not good, I appreciate that guys like @mrblaine or @Jerry Bransford are pointing out how stupid it is, or that I'm setting my 16 year old up to lose a freaking wheel and have it slide out, I wish I would have known when I bought him the TJ.

"CAN" you....as you've referenced the OP....yes you can mount 35's on a TJ with 2" lift and cut the fenders....sure, you can bolt them on....but it's stupid. Sucks that the parts are expensive up there, but it's still dumb. You can get cheap parts and do it cheaper, and get what you pay for, and that's 100% a doable and nothing to be embarrassed about, sometimes you get what you can.
I'm glad you're following me so much. You're welcome.

The topic was spacers. What I've seen first hand is the neglect of said spacer. It wasn't a debate about why or why not my state and the ill brain trust comes up with certain laws...but rather my opinion on a spacers or a wheel with the proper backspacing. It us in fact illegal in this state and a poster said well wgat about this or that. I just simply replied the state allows things from OEM that otherwise would be illegal if self built or modified in the same fashion.

Back to the spacers the OP asked the forum for opinion on the pro's and cons of spacers.
It was my opinion from my own observation a great deal of spacers being used are not ideally safe. Not all mind you but about 40-60 percent in any given year one would see fault with how that spacer is being used/neglected. Does that mean you are? Nope. But there instances they are as it adds something additional that needs attention. As I said in that thread I promise you there are more people out there that love the ride, drive and appearance of things yet have no idea which is the open end of a combination wrench and don't care. They just wabt to get in and go. No sense of feel or care. Just drive it. There are entirely way too many of those kind of drivers/owners out there.

As far as this particular thread nobody asked for the good, bad and ugly. It was a simple yes or no. Will something fit. They also stated their off roading intention and this was just the start of the build.
Seemed pretty clear cut to me they were under the perception their build will need more and seemed also to me they were going to keep their jeep in perspective in the mean time.

Aa far as things breaking.....allow me a retort...a sarcastic one since you chose to venture down the smart ass road.
You do realize that at any given time parts can fail. Modified or not things can break, wear out, etc..in lieu of any modification whatsoever. All this through no fault of the motorist. Radiators burst for no apparent reason. Death wobble can appear in an instant and on and on.
Abusing a vehicle...driving it hard...can certainly increase those odds of failure on certain components but anything at any time can fail. In the end it's a machine with many upon many working parts.

The brakes....would bigger brakes help? Sure. Why wouldn't they. Again though nobody asked that question. The question was about fit. Yes or no.
If the driver decides to follow people too close like a maniac the odds increase they're going to rear end somsome. I'd be willing to bet though driving like they stole it will net them a wreck regardless of bigger brakes or not.

Do you think all these modified Jeeps out there running around stop like a Ferrari? Do you think they all ride and drive just like off the showroom floor? They don't. The moment you add 4 inches to a tire width you just made that vehicle significantly more slick on hard packed snow and ice.
Add a full time locker and look out. Are there people running that way today? Yep. Many. Have they learned their Jeep behaves differently with those mods now? Yep!
It's up to the driver to understand their rig and the pro's and con's of their modifications. The more they ask the more info they'll get.

The OP over a long time ago asked if his rig had a SYE already installed...if the steering would have enough ass for 35's and most importantly would 35's fit with a higher clearances fender and 2" of lift.

That was it. They even offered up their wheeling intention as moot possibly having some foresight in the brow beating about to ensue.

I have to run and give a customer bad news why his Accent is failing a safety inspection because his K frame is rotting out.

Good day

• Face Palm
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm glad you're following me so much. You're welcome.

The topic was spacers. What I've seen first hand is the neglect of said spacer. It wasn't a debate about why or why not my state and the ill brain trust comes up with certain laws...but rather my opinion on a spacers or a wheel with the proper backspacing. It us in fact illegal in this state and a poster said well wgat about this or that. I just simply replied the state allows things from OEM that otherwise would be illegal if self built or modified in the same fashion.

Back to the spacers the OP asked the forum for opinion on the pro's and cons of spacers.
It was my opinion from my own observation a great deal of spacers being used are not ideally safe. Not all mind you but about 40-60 percent in any given year one would see fault with how that spacer is being used/neglected. Does that mean you are? Nope. But there instances they are as it adds something additional that needs attention. As I said in that thread I promise you there are more people out there that love the ride, drive and appearance of things yet have no idea which is the open end of a combination wrench and don't care. They just wabt to get in and go. No sense of feel or care. Just drive it. There are entirely way too many of those kind of drivers/owners out there.

As far as this particular thread nobody asked for the good, bad and ugly. It was a simple yes or no. Will something fit. They also stated their off roading intention and this was just the start of the build.
Seemed pretty clear cut to me they were under the perception their build will need more and seemed also to me they were going to keep their jeep in perspective in the mean time.

Aa far as things breaking.....allow me a retort...a sarcastic one since you chose to venture down the smart ass road.
You do realize that at any given time parts can fail. Modified or not things can break, wear out, etc..in lieu of any modification whatsoever. All this through no fault of the motorist. Radiators burst for no apparent reason. Death wobble can appear in an instant and on and on.
Abusing a vehicle...driving it hard...can certainly increase those odds of failure on certain components but anything at any time can fail. In the end it's a machine with many upon many working parts.

The brakes....would bigger brakes help? Sure. Why wouldn't they. Again though nobody asked that question. The question was about fit. Yes or no.
If the driver decides to follow people too close like a maniac the odds increase they're going to rear end somsome. I'd be willing to bet though driving like they stole it will net them a wreck regardless of bigger brakes or not.

Do you think all these modified Jeeps out there running around stop like a Ferrari? Do you think they all ride and drive just like off the showroom floor? They don't. The moment you add 4 inches to a tire width you just made that vehicle significantly more slick on hard packed snow and ice.
Add a full time locker and look out. Are there people running that way today? Yep. Many. Have they learned their Jeep behaves differently with those mods now? Yep!
It's up to the driver to understand their rig and the pro's and con's of their modifications. The more they ask the more info they'll get.

The OP over a long time ago asked if his rig had a SYE already installed...if the steering would have enough ass for 35's and most importantly would 35's fit with a higher clearances fender and 2" of lift.

That was it. They even offered up their wheeling intention as moot possibly having some foresight in the brow beating about to ensue.

I have to run and give a customer bad news why his Accent is failing a safety inspection because his K frame is rotting out.

Good day
Do the Metal cloak rear fenders remove anything from the body? Because if they don’t the body will be the first to contact the tires, unless he bump stops the rear so much that he removes almost all of his travel. As far as I know they don’t, I helped my brother install some on his jeep. Maybe there is a different version that I’m not aware of. The point of contact will more then likely be the front part of the wheel opening. The wheel opening if I recall correctly is right around 35”. So will the tires fit, for sure, but hit a small bump and the metal tub will be cutting into his new tires... not advice I would want to give. But I would advise adding a body lift if cost is an issue

Reactions: Jamesval035
If you don't like experienced opinions being offered in forum threads and believe everyone should instead bless every plan described then you have entirely missed the most attractive purpose of forums like this.
This x 1,000,000!!

While I have politely disagreed with Jerry on fire extinguishers (minus a bit of ribbing, all in good fun), for the most part I pay attention to what he and others have to say in order to avoid some of the mistakes others have made in the past. Jerry, @mrblaine and many others are a wealth of knowledge, which is one of the reasons this forum is so good for TJ owners. So many people have already tried various products and mods, some with good results and some with not-so-good results, so why wouldn't you want to learn from their experiences? Unless you're that dumbass kid who just had to touch the stove even after your parents told you not to touch the stove, why would you want to get burned for making stupid decisions when the outcome is already known?? I don't get. And then busting Jerry's balls for offering good, solid advice is just completely lame... maybe stick to fixing rusty Accents... smh

It seems everyone here is still throwing alot of variables into the mix so let's simplify it. The only question I had was about lift. Little history on my TJ, I have a Dana 44 rear with 4:56 gearing and chromo shafts with a e locker. Front is a Dana 30 with 30 spline inner shafts 27 spline outers 4:56 gears open. Np231 transfer case with a sye. Transmission is a nv3550. My Jeep can handle 35's ( minus the brakes but that comes with tires ) my front fenders are all cut up and my rear wheel well has been enlarged. All I was wondering about was lift.. which honestly will come eventually but for me and my budget I do 1 upgrade at a time.

It seems everyone here is still throwing alot of variables into the mix so let's simplify it. The only question I had was about lift. Little history on my TJ, I have a Dana 44 rear with 4:56 gearing and chromo shafts with a e locker. Front is a Dana 30 with 30 spline inner shafts 27 spline outers 4:56 gears open. Np231 transfer case with a sye. Transmission is a nv3550. My Jeep can handle 35's ( minus the brakes but that comes with tires ) my front fenders are all cut up and my rear wheel well has been enlarged. All I was wondering about was lift.. which honestly will come eventually but for me and my budget I do 1 upgrade at a time.

My criteria is pretty simple.

What are the shock travel biases? Do the front tires clear at full stuff full steering lock?

My criteria is pretty simple.

What are the shock travel biases? Do the front tires clear at full stuff full steering lock?
Shock travel is stock, I have about 2 inches of room at full stuff in the rear with my cut wheel wells and my front barely clears with the 33's but I'm in the process of highlining the front fenders so that should give me the addition room I need for 35's until I get around to lifting it. Winter is coming fast here in Canada and I need new tires. I'm not too keen on buying new 33's just to replace them with 35's in the spring ( planning on doing a 3.5-4 inch lift over the winter )