Question about sloppy steering on 97 TJ

PattonD

Supporting Member
I am trying to track down the steering slop issues in my 97 TJ and I think I found the culprit.

When moving the steering wheel from side to side, I see noticeable movement in the part (circled in red) between the steering shaft u-joint and the steering box. It looks hollowed out to me, but wanted more experienced eyes to validate this is an issue.

I am second guessing myself as a shop just put on that remanufactured steering box, and pissed they didn’t sort find and bring this to our attention.

if I am right this is bad, what do I need to fix it?

338AC762-C424-4742-A8F9-9810A96CD1DB.jpeg

I am trying to track down the steering slop issues in my 97 TJ and I think I found the culprit.

When moving the steering wheel from side to side, I see noticeable movement in the part (circled in red) between the steering shaft u-joint and the steering box. It looks hollowed out to me, but wanted more experienced eyes to validate this is an issue.

I am second guessing myself as a shop just put on that remanufactured steering box, and pissed they didn’t sort find and bring this to our attention.

if I am right this is bad, what do I need to fix it?

View attachment 244850
Have someone turn the steering wheel and watch that pin. If it bottoms out in the holes either direction, that joint is shot and needs to be replaced. I am not aware of a way to just replace that portion by the average person so you will need the entire lower steering shaft.

Reactions: PattonD
Have someone turn the steering wheel and watch that pin. If it bottoms out in the holes either direction, that joint is shot and needs to be replaced. I am not aware of a way to just replace that portion by the average person so you will need the entire lower steering shaft.
You can see it move to each side of the hole. Looks like I need the lower shaft then

How rough of this is this for a DIY driveway job? Do I have to remove the steering box or steering wheel? Is there a good write-up for replacing the lower shaft?

I got the lower steering shaft unit in earlier this week, plan on putting it in this weekend. Is there a writeup somewhere on how to replace that without removing the entire steering unit. The manual wasn't ideal for that.

I got the lower steering shaft unit in earlier this week, plan on putting it in this weekend. Is there a writeup somewhere on how to replace that without removing the entire steering unit. The manual wasn't ideal for that.
What part # did you order and from where?

Is the intermediate steering shaft supposed to be able to extend and retract, or is it supposed to be fixed length?

image.jpg

Do I have to remove the radiator to get to the lower 13mm bolt. If there is supposed to be access from the front between the bumper and grill, my aftermarket radiator is blocking it.

since the lower shaft can only go in one way, can I do this when the wheel turned to rotate it?

Do I have to remove the radiator to get to the lower 13mm bolt. If there is supposed to be access from the front between the bumper and grill, my aftermarket radiator is blocking it.

since the lower shaft can only go in one way, can I do this when the wheel turned to rotate it?
Turn the wheel so the bolt points down.

Reactions: PattonD
I turned it 180 degrees so they pointed down and used the seatbelt to lock in place. Got the bolts off and the ends and the 2 nuts holding the bearing to the bracket.

The upper portion is separated from the upper shaft, been trying for an hour to get the shaft separated from the steering box.

No luck so far, and I keep reminding myself this should be “easy”

image.jpg

Feel easy would have been with the overflow, washer and power steering Reservoirs placed somewhere else.