Question for current & former XJ owners...

Bumping an old thread.

I’d like to know from you XJ owners how they handle on the highway compared to our TJs. Particularly for longer trips. I’ll never get rid of my TJ but it’s becoming more of a toy, and I enjoy whipping around town more than I do long distance trips over 2 hours. Then I start to feel worn out. So with the XJ having similar brick like aerodynamics, are they a bit more comfortable for longer trips? My goal is to build more of an expedition or “overland” rig if you will (kinda hate the term) I imagine the longer wheelbase will certainty help, and running 31s or possibly 32s max. An auto would be nice too. It’s hard to eat my McDonald’s when I’m rowing through gears 😂 plus I’m always bringing someone with me who can’t drive stick so I gotta do all the driving
We've always found the ride in our XJ to be comfortable. It's a tinny beast, I will have to admit. The whole thing just feels light, to me. However, that may have its advantages. I've squeezed out just a tad under 24 mpg out of it on a road trip (4.0, automatic, 3.55 gears), but I was actually trying to prove a point to my wife, so I was rather easy on it. She averages 14-16 mpg, by comparison.
Ours is a '96 2-door, so getting in and out of it is easy for the folks in the front. Those who ride in the back seat need to be younger, smaller, or at least more agile. I'd have no hesitation in recommending one to a TJ owner. But get the '96 and up for the better engine block. Here's something I snagged from Wikipedia:

"In 1996, the engine block was redesigned for greater strength. The new block had more webbing and a stud girdle for added rigidity of the crankshaft main bearings. Engines installed in 1999 Grand Cherokees carried the "PowerTech" name that had been used intermittently in prior years and on other Chrysler truck and SUV engines. The name was subsequently passed on to 4.0s in the other Jeep models that used the engine, the Cherokee and Wrangler. The cylinder head was again changed for the 2000 model year to a more emissions-friendly design.[citation needed] This head was designated as "0331" in the casting number. Early 0331 heads are prone to cracking, causing coolant to contaminate the oil, which can lead to catastrophic engine failure. The head cracks in the center between #3 and #4 cylinders. The crack is usually discernible with the valve cover removed as a "milky" tan line. This condition is usually discovered before catastrophic engine failure, but can lead there if not corrected in a timely manner. The casting was fixed in mid to late 2001, but the same casting number was retained. The "fixed" heads have "TUPY" cast in the center where the cracks used to occur.[25] Also new for the 2000 model year, was the distributorless, coil on plug ignition system."

Reactions: steventure and PCO6
Bumping an old thread.

I’d like to know from you XJ owners how they handle on the highway compared to our TJs. Particularly for longer trips. I’ll never get rid of my TJ but it’s becoming more of a toy, and I enjoy whipping around town more than I do long distance trips over 2 hours. Then I start to feel worn out. So with the XJ having similar brick like aerodynamics, are they a bit more comfortable for longer trips? My goal is to build more of an expedition or “overland” rig if you will (kinda hate the term) I imagine the longer wheelbase will certainty help, and running 31s or possibly 32s max. An auto would be nice too. It’s hard to eat my McDonald’s when I’m rowing through gears 😂 plus I’m always bringing someone with me who can’t drive stick so I gotta do all the driving

Not crazy about the term either but if you're looking for XJ for that purpose you might want to consider a 4 dr. I've had a 4 dr. and now have a '89 2 dr. (which replaced a previous 2 dr.). As stated by onoffroad and Squatch, the 2 drs. are easy to get in and out of especially if it's just getting into the front. The longer doors are nice. Getting into the back requires a bit more effort of course. I always found getting in to the back of a 4 dr. as a passenger to be a real pain. The doors at the bottom are tiny. For overlanding though, access to the rear for equipment through the back doors is better than going into a 2 dr.

I've driven my XJ's all day long and always found them to be comfortable. They handle great but that probably depends on how much or if you modify them. My current 2 dr. has a 2" lift with 245 tires and it's fine. They tow well too. We're heading off tomorrow for a week of camping. It will be 4 hrs. each way and whatever exploring we can get in when we get there.

20-06-25 5.JPG

Thanks for the replies, what I like to hear. Being in the Midwest, Indiana, a rust free one is hard to come by let alone a 2 door. But I’ve been keeping an eye on Craigslist for some of the southern states. I don’t mind taking a road trip to pick up a good one.
So the 2 door has larger doors compared to the 4 door? My rear passengers will only be my dog so that’s not a problem. And I plan on keeping this one relatively low with a 2.5 ome lift and either 30 or maybe 31s. Again this is mostly for chasing logging roads and exploring, I have my TJ for wheeling. Thanks for the replies fellas.

Reactions: Squatch
We've always found the ride in our XJ to be comfortable. It's a tinny beast, I will have to admit. The whole thing just feels light, to me. However, that may have its advantages. I've squeezed out just a tad under 24 mpg out of it on a road trip (4.0, automatic, 3.55 gears), but I was actually trying to prove a point to my wife, so I was rather easy on it. She averages 14-16 mpg, by comparison.
Ours is a '96 2-door, so getting in and out of it is easy for the folks in the front. Those who ride in the back seat need to be younger, smaller, or at least more agile. I'd have no hesitation in recommending one to a TJ owner. But get the '96 and up for the better engine block. Here's something I snagged from Wikipedia:

"In 1996, the engine block was redesigned for greater strength. The new block had more webbing and a stud girdle for added rigidity of the crankshaft main bearings. Engines installed in 1999 Grand Cherokees carried the "PowerTech" name that had been used intermittently in prior years and on other Chrysler truck and SUV engines. The name was subsequently passed on to 4.0s in the other Jeep models that used the engine, the Cherokee and Wrangler. The cylinder head was again changed for the 2000 model year to a more emissions-friendly design.[citation needed] This head was designated as "0331" in the casting number. Early 0331 heads are prone to cracking, causing coolant to contaminate the oil, which can lead to catastrophic engine failure. The head cracks in the center between #3 and #4 cylinders. The crack is usually discernible with the valve cover removed as a "milky" tan line. This condition is usually discovered before catastrophic engine failure, but can lead there if not corrected in a timely manner. The casting was fixed in mid to late 2001, but the same casting number was retained. The "fixed" heads have "TUPY" cast in the center where the cracks used to occur.[25] Also new for the 2000 model year, was the distributorless, coil on plug ignition system."
Good call thanks that helps narrow down some years. But I imagine an engine rebuild would address that issue? I’m not opposed to it I plan on keeping and maintaining my rigs til the end.

Thanks for the replies, what I like to hear. Being in the Midwest, Indiana, a rust free one is hard to come by let alone a 2 door. But I’ve been keeping an eye on Craigslist for some of the southern states. I don’t mind taking a road trip to pick up a good one.
So the 2 door has larger doors compared to the 4 door? My rear passengers will only be my dog so that’s not a problem. And I plan on keeping this one relatively low with a 2.5 ome lift and either 30 or maybe 31s. Again this is mostly for chasing logging roads and exploring, I have my TJ for wheeling. Thanks for the replies fellas.

This pic of a door from a XJ 4 dr. on a XJ 2 dr. shows the difference. It's about 10".

My rule of thumb when parking my vehicles is ... "never park next to a 2 dr. anything!". 😊

IMG00017.jpg

This pic of a door from a XJ 4 dr. on a XJ 2 dr. shows the difference. It's about 10".

My rule of thumb when parking my vehicles is ... "never park next to a 2 dr. anything!". 😊

View attachment 174449
Awesome picture. That really puts the difference into perspective. As a big guy (not tall, just a Buddha belly), I've found a number of 4-door vehicles pose something of a problem for me getting in and out of from behind the wheel. Really glad we have the 2-door!

Reactions: steventure

My rule of thumb when parking my vehicles is ... "never park next to a 2 dr. anything!".

:ROFLMAO: I never thought of that.
Awesome picture. That really puts the difference into perspective. As a big guy (not tall, just a Buddha belly), I've found a number of 4-door vehicles pose something of a problem for me getting in and out of from behind the wheel. Really glad we have the 2-door!
It definitely does, I had no idea there was that much of a difference, on any vehicle for that matter. Man, now I think I’m gonna have to hold out and search hard for a nice 2 door XJ. 🤞

Reactions: Squatch
I had xj with vm motori manual trans, mexico made. Fuel consumption was very economical compared to tj, but seating position is very uncomfortable to me. It has this tub doorstep frame is not good even wranglers are more comfy in that aspect. Also as i said before seating postion makes you feel very small and cant see much if you look your sides. Interior capacity was very limited due to low headroom. I would not buy it if i had to again.

If intetested in XJs... there is a dealership down the road from me that has clean XJs.

https://www.jsmotorssd.com/jeep-for-sale-C463039
Well of course they're nice, they're in Southern California :LOL: I'm in Indiana now which makes it much harder to find a nice rust free one. I've browsed to a few stealerships and the problem with them around here is they just spray the bottom with some crappy undercoating to cover up the rust damage, particularly the unibody rails. Might be worth taking a road trip out your way.

Reactions: Sancho
I bought mine from my brother for 375 bucks, he ran the engine out of oil 3 times. It knocks like crazy, built a new engine it's on the stand in the garage. Seeing how long it takes to finish it off, I daily it. Taken 3 years so far.

Well of course they're nice, they're in Southern California :LOL: I'm in Indiana now which makes it much harder to find a nice rust free one. I've browsed to a few stealerships and the problem with them around here is they just spray the bottom with some crappy undercoating to cover up the rust damage, particularly the unibody rails. Might be worth taking a road trip out your way.

If ya make it out this way... ill point ya to some mountain and desert places to explore.

If ya make it out this way... ill point ya to some mountain and desert places to explore.
Sounds good, might happen soon actually! I lived out there for a couple years. My avatar pic is from Los Padres NF. I explored around the Mojave Preserve a bit, found some of the old abandoned mining towns. I love it out west

Reactions: Sancho